Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at STL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2008, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Cars at STL

I'm renting at STL in the next week or so, and it'll be my first time renting with National. I joined the Emerald Club so I'm looking forward to being able to pick my own car on the Aisle. Any suggestions? I've read through some recent threads and it appears that generally-speaking, the Aisle is definitely hit-or-miss. What does the XM radio antenna look like (someone said it was a telltale sign...)? I would love to score a Volvo S40, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Thanks for your pointers!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 6:18 pm

Location: A place where I have just enough status to want more, but can't afford it!
Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Most cars with XM will have an antenna that looks like a black 1/2 inch thick rectangle box with a small stubby antenna poking out. However, this does not guarantee it will have XM. It may just be the style of the radio antenna or it may have XM, but it just isn't activated. The only true way to find a car with XM is to try the radio and make sure you can tune into an XM channel besides the activation channel and the POTUS channel.

You should also look at the model of the car you are getting. Some cars may look nice but will only be a base model, others may have a few dents here and there, but they could be a higher end trim version with heated/power seats, XM radio, more power etc. Also, don't be afraid to try something new, you can fall in love with cars by randomly trying them out. If you are driving a car to the checkout booth and it doesn’t feel right or you can’t seem to see over the hood, just drive it back to the isle and chose something else, there’s nothing wrong with that.

When you're in the aisle, please behave like an adult, don't rush over to a car you see someone walking to and cut them off just because you like the color. Or if you’re by yourself and chose an SUV and then you see a family of 5 trying to squeeze into a Nissan Versa (it’s been the only car on the isle before), offer them your car if you don’t need it; you don’t have to offer it to them by any means, but it’s a nice thing to do and eventually what goes around does come around.

Most importantly, have fun. Every time I go to National I become like a kid in a candy shop and it’s (almost) always such a fun experience. Oh yeah, don’t forget to see what your insurance and credit card cover before you go to pick up your rental, 98% of the time you won’t need any additional insurance.
Hope this helps.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 9:34 am

I rented from National at STL a month or so ago, and the EA selection on Monday evening was so-so. The standard selection of Avengers and HHR's, but I did spot an Impala and a Buick Lacrosse on the end. I jumped in the Lacrosse, which turned out to be a bit of a boat.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Cool, thanks everyone. Also, welcome to FT both of you!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I don't see an official "Cars at STL" thread and this looks like the most recent one about STL.

Any recent experiences on the Executive Aisle in STL? I'll be picking up a car there next week. It'll be all four of us and it might be useful to have room for a couple others as well, so we'll be looking for a Minivan or SUV (but a car will work if that's all they have on the EA).
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Thanks for the title change and adding this to the "Cars at ###" thread!

Picked up on Thursday and the lot was BARE. I think there were only about a dozen vehicles between the Executive Aisle and the Emerald Aisle, including a Toyota Highlander with 32k miles and a couple small SUVs. The Toyota Highlander worked perfectly for us, so we took it.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Lot was pretty full last night. Didn't spend much time looking at EA, but saw corollas and I think an HHR. ES had lots of minivans (saw Caravans and Siennas), Chrysler 300's, and Chevy Impalas. Also that Dodge based on the 300 platform whose name I never bother to remember. I almost took a new Mazda 6 until I opened the door and the cigarette smoke overwhelmed me. Then I spotted a S60 way down the line that I took (apparently moments before someone else was going to walk to it, but so it goes). I drive a V70 so I knew pretty well what I was getting.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 1:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
Also that Dodge based on the 300 platform whose name I never bother to remember.
That would be the Charger.

Technically the new Challenger is also a Dodge on the 300's platform, but you'd know that one if you saw it. And if you saw one on the ES aisle, I'd be booking a plane ticket to STL.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Tonight there was a lot of snow coming down and visibility was pretty miserable on my 120mi drive from STL to Effingham, IL. The bus driver was telling people "don't look for SUV's in either of the aisles. They don't put those out there when it snows 'cause they sell out"

Exec aisle had several chrysler minivans, several dodge chargers and 300's (which, being rear wheel drive, I definitely didn't want). At the end there were a few Kias (never remember their model names. Amanti?), a ford taurus, and a honda accord. Took the accord.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:19 pm

I've temporarially dropped to Emerald, so taking notice of a new set of vehicles. The ever-present HHR and Ford Focus were readily available. I took a '10 Prius - which is finally just the slightest bit exciting with the accelerator problem. Sadly I didn't get to experience any of that excitement. As an aside, I'd be happy just getting some INTENDED acceleration. Getting on 70E you have 1/4 mile to accelerate to speed with traffic and cross over four lanes to get in the LEFT lane to take that sharp-ish left exit onto 170N. Pretty darn frightening in a Prius. When you look over and your only gap involves flooring it to within 200' of the turn, that's bad enough. The braking and cornering that follow as you try to navigate the exit - even worse.

Annoyingly, someone screwed up checking me out as my receipt showed vehicle class driven: SCARH and vehicle class charged: SCARH, even though I picked it up on the emerald aisle with an SCAR rental. Had to go inside and wait for two particularly unhelpful employees to take their sweet time not processing any customers. After ten minutes of seeing them not get anything done and mostly socializing with their friends who were purportedly there to rent cars, the manager finally came out and helped me.

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Mar 11, 2010 at 6:25 pm
Old May 25, 2010, 11:40 am

Bumping the thread...

Any recent ES experiences in STL? Gonna be flying in two weeks for business.

Thanks!

Last edited by wakko11; Jul 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm
Old Jul 2, 2010, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by wakko11
Bumping the thread...

Any recent ES experiences in STL? Gonna be flying in two weeks for business.

Thanks!
No one's rented from ES at STL lately?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:25 pm

Exec aisle at STL on Sunday, 7pm:

Lots of Impalas, Chargers, and 300's - of course. A couple of Caravans, a couple of Malibus, one Camry, one Accord, one Altima, and a Lucerne you couldn't actually take because it was blocked in by several 300's.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 6:00 am

Drove by National Thursday 2/17 around Noon...

The lot was practically empty. The only vehicles on the Exec. Aisle were 2 Quad Cab Dodge Ram trucks.

Emerald Aisle had 1 Jeep Compass and 1 Dodge Minivan.

Premium section was completley empty. I am due to pick up a Premium this evening for a road trip this weekend. I hope the selection is better or I will be taking my personal car and canceling my reservation.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 6:38 am

Friday 2/18 at 8PM

Emerald Aisle was stocked with Honda Accords, Kia Sorentos/Hyundai Santa Fes, Dodge Journeys, Avengers, etc.

Exec. Aisle had 300s, Impalas, Chargers, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokees, and a couple 2011 Ford Edge's

Premium is mixed with Luxury at this location and was filled with Caddy DTS's, Town Cars, 1 Taurus SEL (with cloth), and 1 Hyundai Genesis.

When I returned 2/20 at 8pm, both Aisles were pretty much the same, with the exception of a Black Suburban on the Emerald Aisle. I am thinking this was a mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.