Panther platform = Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car
Old May 24, 2011, 3:27 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Panther platform = Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car
Oh ok - thank you
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Bump, any recent posts?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: PC Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive, AAdvantage Gold, Midwest Miles
Out of a dozen cars in the aisle on Monday, the only one with Sirius was a Fusion that had been smoked in (vehicle was clearly marked nonsmoking. People are so inconsiderate- hope they got dinged for it. Was afraid if I took it and returned it smelling like that I would get hit for it). Settled for a 200 w/o Sirius. Not a happy camper.

For awhile there all the Chrysler products in the Aisle had Sirius, but there were about 8 on Monday without it.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:21 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Any more recent experiences at BWI?

I am traveling to the area visit family and I currently have a confirmed full size with Hertz or for the same price should I roll the dice on the Exec Selection as it would be the same price as the Hertz full size. What would you do?

The last time I used National out of BWI at Christmas they had no cars and I was given a Malibu that had just came out of the car wash from a return after waiting 25 minutes.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ktremor
Any more recent experiences at BWI?

I am traveling to the area visit family and I currently have a confirmed full size with Hertz or for the same price should I roll the dice on the Exec Selection as it would be the same price as the Hertz full size. What would you do?

The last time I used National out of BWI at Christmas they had no cars and I was given a Malibu that had just came out of the car wash from a return after waiting 25 minutes.
Keep both reservations, figure it out when you get there.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold, National EC, Choice Hotels, Priority Club
Saturday night

Stopped in on Saturday (7/23) about 6 PM. The ES was an Impala-fest, mostly LTs with leather. There was one Crown Vic and a very dirty black Nissan Rogue with AWD. Lux had three Buick Lucernes and a Cadillac CTS. I saw a Dakota, a dark grey Challenger and a Mustang coupe as well.

The Aisle actually had a pretty good selection, with most of the Malibus and Fusion SELs having leather and working XM. ^ There was a blue Rogue with orange NY plates that smelled like "incense", a few base Avengers, and a Jeep Compass that a family was loading their gear into.

I was investigating a very nice Taurus but the lot agent stopped me and told me it was a Premium. I said, "Well, you shouldn't park it under the full size sign then." Wasn't willing to haggle on the price either.

A Jetta came out of the wash while we were talking. Fuel economy was more important this weekend and I loaded my gear into that. I should have grabbed a Malibu or Fusion because the Jetta turned out to have electrical problems
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Last Friday at 3pm - a bunch of sedan dregs. ES had Impalas, a Charger, a Sonata or two.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: PC Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive, AAdvantage Gold, Midwest Miles
Achieved my ES Upgrade a couple of months ago- so far, experience has shown me that 1/2 of the Impalas in the universe sit in the ES at BWI.

Last week, got a nice white Durango Crew.

Otherwise, there was a Jeep Wrangler, few Panthers, and a couple Nissans. But mostly Impalas.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:55 pm

Programs: Fly Delta Jets
Still Impalas

In case anybody still cares, it is still an Impala-Fest, especially in ES (surprisingly)

Friday 7PM

EA was:
~10 Impalas
1 Fusion
1 Sonata (mine with 500 mi)
1 Mazda 6

ES was:
Nicer Impalas
Malibu
Generic SUVs

There were no Intermediate/Compact cars behind the aisles so I was stuck with the above... I think other times you could just grab one from behind.

Returning Monday 10/10:
Same deal with the rows, with a Mazda 5 and Kia Soul thrown in

I generally think that at BWI, Hertz's bread and butter is intermediate Japanese vehicles, while National is based on full sized American iron with some quirky Koreans mixed in.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:38 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Last time I flew into BWI was mid-August, and I wasn't an EC member yet. Rather than take the base Corolla they tried to offer me (I was renting intermediate), I asked for a 2012 Focus and waited for the line to clear so they could bring it to me. There was a line of people extending back into the rental building and they were literally pulling whatever they had, from wherever, and giving it to the EC members. They didn't seem to care if a person was Exec or not. I think it really depends how you hit it at BWI - like you observed, at an off peak time EA is probably stocked with Impalas but when they're slammed, you're much more likely to get something a little "cooler" - for example, I saw EC members given a Grand Cherokee w/leather and Xenons, a Tahoe LT, a Camaro hardtop, and a Mustang GT convertible. I'm curious to see what happens when I arrive at 7:30PM on a Friday in a few weeks. If it's an Impala-fest, I'll be asking them for an intermediate of some other kind.

Last edited by dwbf11; Oct 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:56 pm

Friday 6PM

Friday 6PM

Good News:
Only three Impalas.
One Taurus in EA
One Charger in ES

Bad News:
About ten cars total across ES and EA. Return lanes were absolutely swamped with all sorts of cars.

Talked to one of the representatives, who acknowledged the aisles were cleaned out, and he offered to take out a car from the rooftop storage lot.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:55 pm

Maestro, what car did you end up with? Did you ask if they'd let you pick out of the return aisle?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:27 am

Charger

Picked out the Charger with 8k miles, but I was split between that and the 10k mi Taurus. Charger is a wonderfully quiet behemoth; I liked the seat support and agree with the review posted about it here. Thanks to my Hertz days I am not used to a 40' turning circle...

I didn't ask about picking one up from the return lot, but the rep seemed warm enough that I don't think he'd mind. Saw a Fiesta, Focus, Civic, and Taurus lingering there, some with popped fuel caps to indicate... low fuel?
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:08 am

My guess is those cars were designated to be refueled, but who knows. Are you exec, or did they just let you pick from either EA or ES?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.