Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Twixboy
qs933 - Thanks for the update. I'll be making the 30 minute trip (haha) out to HNL next weekend w/the family for our quarterly Oahu vacation as soon as school lets out. I've never driven the HR-V so I'm hoping to get one of those to see how it compares to the CR-V. On the other hand if I see the new Chrysler Pacifica I'll probably get that instead. I've seen that one at LIH but not at HNL yet.
I was very close to taking the HR-V for the same reason -- I've never driven one. I'm hoping to see a 2017 CR-V at some point since I'd like to try the redesigned model.

I've seen a Pacifica at HNL once, but they are definitely outnumbered by Grand Caravans.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:39 pm

Picked up early this morning (Saturday). Booth wasn't opened yet, but the manager (I think she was the only one there since it was so early) was willing to open it so I could pick from the aisle vs. the very limited set of keys they keep downstairs.

Emerald (lots of empty stalls):
2017 Subaru Impreza (3x)
2017 Subaru Forrester (2x)
2017 Nissan Altima SL
2017 Nissan Altima SV

Executive:
2016 Chrysler 300S
2016 Chrysler 300C
2016 & 2017 Ford Taurus Limited
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Multiple 2017 Honda Accord LX (your choice of color)

Upgrades included a couple BMW 740L (2015s), several BMW X5s, an Infiniti QX70, and an Audi Q3.

I took the Chrysler 300S. I was surprised at how many Accords there were. They are sourced from various local Honda dealers, with some sporting dealer license plate frames.

There were a couple of Nissan Rogues (a 2016 and 2017) in non Emerald stalls, which isn't unusual. However, both were SV models, so continuing the positive trend of higher trim Nissans in the fleet.

When I returned in the early afternoon, the Taurus and 300C were still there, while a good number of the Accords had left. A brand new Accord Sport was available in Exec, which joined a 2017 Cadillac XTS, Santa Fe Sports, and a Challenger in Exec. There were a couple of Nissan Frontier pickups in Emerald, along with an Altima SL 3.5.

Last edited by qs933; May 28, 2017 at 2:56 am
Old May 28, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Originally Posted by qs933
When I returned in the early afternoon, the Taurus and 300C were still there, while a good number of the Accords had left. A brand new Accord Sport was available in Exec, which joined a 2017 Cadillac XTS, Santa Fe Sports, and a Challenger in Exec. There were a couple of Nissan Frontier pickups in Emerald, along with an Altima SL 3.5.
Nice selection. I haven't seen the XTS in the exec aisle before, I would like to try that. Really haven't seen Taurus's and 300's either (except for a base 300 once). Crossing my fingers for a similar selection next time I'm there.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by OSLexpat
Nice selection. I haven't seen the XTS in the exec aisle before, I would like to try that. Really haven't seen Taurus's and 300's either (except for a base 300 once). Crossing my fingers for a similar selection next time I'm there.

The XTS is basically an overpriced impala. If you can find a premier impala I'll take that since it has alot of standard features like blind spot ant etc
Old May 29, 2017, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by OSLexpat
First time I've seen one in Exec at HNL too. Could be they were short on cars due to the holiday weekend.

Or it could be that they were having a hard time moving the larger cars because people don't want to maneuver them in the Waikiki parking garages -- I remember when Lincoln Town Cars could be found on the Emerald Aisle.

I was happy that I was able to try a 300S, but the Exec selection was much better upon my return -- lots of vehicles I haven't previously seen, like the XTS, the Santa Fe, and Santa Fe Sport.

Last edited by qs933; May 29, 2017 at 1:15 am
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National ES, Air Kettle
Sunday morning two weeks ago:

The aisles and reserved spots were full that morning.

Selection was decent. Notable in Executive aisle were:

- 2x 2016 Challengers SXT

- 2016 Ford Mustang Coupe Ecoboost Premium

- 2x 2016 Chrysler 300c

- 2017 Charger SXT

Didn't really pay attention to the midsize SUV's as none of them stood out to me. I went for one of the 300C's with 13k miles on it. It's a nice ride and well equipped, just wish it had the HEMI V8. I guess maybe some of them does, but it's hard to tell because I don't believe Chrysler puts HEMI badging on the 300's.

Would've gone for the Mustang, but I couldn't in good conscience submit my 3rd passenger to sit in the back "seats".
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:21 am

I wouldn't have minded trying the Murano SV in Exec stall H30. I haven't been able to catch one in Exec yet.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:47 am

I have a question about HNL rental. When I go to National website reserving the car, it said this place is serviced by Enterprise. If this place is serviced by Enterprise, can I reserve at Costco Travel and still be able to use ES aisle?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by hchang2017
I have a question about HNL rental. When I go to National website reserving the car, it said this place is serviced by Enterprise. If this place is serviced by Enterprise, can I reserve at Costco Travel and still be able to use ES aisle?
No I assume not since you're than booking with enterprise not national. It's just being serviced at the enterprise location since I assume HNL isn't big enough to have a separate National location as well?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by Closingracer
No I assume not since you're than booking with enterprise not national. It's just being serviced at the enterprise location since I assume HNL isn't big enough to have a separate National location as well?
I have AMEX contract rate but the contract rate is higher than normal one. Can I reserve using normal one and still get ES?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:10 am

I have AMEX contract rate but the contract rate is higher than normal one. Can I reserve using normal one and still get ES?

You can use the normal rate and use the ES if you're an executive
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:56 pm

My National reservations say the same thing -- I don't know why.

HNL has a rental car area at the terminal, which is where National is located. Enterprise operates a separate, off-site facility just a few minutes away.

Incidentally, Alamo is also off-site, with its own facility, a little further away than Enterprise.

To answer your question, if your reservation is with Enterprise, you'll need to pick up at Enterprise.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:20 pm

I know hotel don't give member benefits to people book on priceline. Do the car rental companies do the same thing?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:35 pm

Interesting how it works at this location. So it looks like this is not your typical location since there is no exit booth and so you cannot really just get in a car and go since keys are still at the counter and the CSR has to check you out of there. Do you just walk down and pick a car and then go back to the counter or it seems the CSR walks with you and then you pick a car?

I'll be doing something different since I'll actually be in Hawaii for a 6month job assignment and my company is helping to pay for a rental car (about $1100/mo budget) and so I'll hopefully be accumulating a lot of rental points/days.

Of course I also wonder if I get a midsize car for a monthly deal....that say if I get tired of the car or want to check out what else is available...that I can just come in say on a weekday and exchange a car...?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Interesting how it works at this location. So it looks like this is not your typical location since there is no exit booth and so you cannot really just get in a car and go since keys are still at the counter and the CSR has to check you out of there. Do you just walk down and pick a car and then go back to the counter or it seems the CSR walks with you and then you pick a car?
What typical Emerald Club renters do: Go directly to the 4th floor and stand in line at the Emerald booth. When asked to pick a car from the appropriate stalls (depending on whether you're Emerald or Exec), either pick the car that's closest, whatever it is, or shrug and wait for the CSR to list what's there.

What the serious FlyerTalk members do: Go directly to the 4th floor. Walk up and down the aisle noting what's available, including trim level; peer through windows (all cars are locked); and inspect the barcode tags. Optional: take a photo to post here. Then, and only then, do you stand in line with your first choice and alternative choices.
ginmqi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.