Cars at HNL

Old Sep 7, 2017, 2:17 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
The selection during your last two visits is closer to my normal experience. I wouldn't mind trying the new CR-V, even if it is the base model (LX). At least Honda did away with those basic steel wheels on the base trim.

The Hondas are sourced locally from the three dealers on Oahu -- oddly enough, each one applies the safety check sticker in a different way, so you know where it came from (not that it matters much).

Yours looks like it came from the Tony Group. Pacific uses a screwed-in metal plate on the bottom of the bumper. Windward just sticks it to the bumper. I've seen Hondas from all three parked in Exec or Emerald.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by qs933
The selection during your last two visits is closer to my normal experience. I wouldn't mind trying the new CR-V, even if it is the base model (LX). At least Honda did away with those basic steel wheels on the base trim.

The Hondas are sourced locally from the three dealers on Oahu -- oddly enough, each one applies the safety check sticker in a different way, so you know where it came from (not that it matters much).

Yours looks like it came from the Tony Group. Pacific uses a screwed-in metal plate on the bottom of the bumper. Windward just sticks it to the bumper. I've seen Hondas from all three parked in Exec or Emerald.
Nice! Dude you know your stuff. Yes my brand new CRV did come from Tony Group. I just looked at the license plate frame last night and I was susprised it still had the dealer plate frame on it!

I definitely was surprised when I saw the nice alloy wheels and picked it. I was just a tad bit disappointed as it was the base model 2WD LX trim but still very nice to be driving a brand new car and I love the turn signals in the back and the LED day time running lights.

Great visibility and roominess on the inside. And nice styling I might add as well. Very ergonomic on the inside and I love it has all the normal buttons and dials...instead of some higher end trims/cars that are now all going touch screen for everything
Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Nice! Dude you know your stuff. Yes my brand new CRV did come from Tony Group. I just looked at the license plate frame last night and I was susprised it still had the dealer plate frame on it!
One benefit of the frame (and because it's a CR-V) -- you'll blend right in with the rest of traffic. Nothing screams "rental" driving down the street like a Mustang convertible.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:58 pm

Any reason I should reserve a PCAR vs FCAR if I'm going to be using EA/ES aisles anyways? About $50 difference
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:07 pm

One benefit of the frame (and because it's a CR-V) -- you'll blend right in with the rest of traffic. Nothing screams "rental" driving down the street like a Mustang convertible.
LOL yup.

Also I noticed that this CRV doesn't have that huge blue sticker on the driver's window that says "SHOW ME THIS CAR" with the QR code that also screams rental car. There is of course the little barcode sticker on the windshield but not as prominent as the other National cars I've had where it's a double vertical barcode sticker on both sides of the windshield.

It's funny since I've been in HNL that I usually look for these stickers on the windshield to tell if it's a rental or not. And as expected a majority of the car in my hotel parking garage is a rental

Originally Posted by chowfun27
Any reason I should reserve a PCAR vs FCAR if I'm going to be using EA/ES aisles anyways? About $50 difference
Depending on the date, if you want a PCAR probably should reserve it. That Accord Sport was classified as a PCAR that I got couple days ago (which some feel an Accord should not be a PCAR...save for maybe the top line V6 trim with leather). There are plenty of FCARs. In my 3 times over there in last 2 weeks, I think I only saw a Maxima once (which is a PCAR). But I'll also defer to others who may know the specific CAR category better for National

From the agents at the HNL location, they say Thursday and Fridays are when more cars are available.

Generally holidays and weekend (sat-sun) are gonna be a bit more tight in cars.

Last edited by ginmqi; Sep 7, 2017 at 1:16 pm
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:20 pm

booked end of aug as elite with mid-size SUV rate, got an X3. Pleasant surprise.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:39 pm

Depending on the date, if you want a PCAR probably should reserve it. That Accord Sport was classified as a PCAR that I got couple days ago (which some feel an Accord should not be a PCAR...save for maybe the top line V6 trim with leather). There are plenty of FCARs. In my 3 times over there in last 2 weeks, I think I only saw a Maxima once (which is a PCAR). But I'll also defer to others who may know the specific CAR category better for National
I agree -- if you absolutely want a PCAR, reserve it. That being stated, I've taken a Maxima, 300C, 300S, and Impala LTZ off the Exec aisle at HNL. They do appear, but you're at the mercy of Lady Luck.

I've also reserved a PCAR and ended up with a base Subaru Legacy (which is a PCAR, like the Accord) as the only choice.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:47 pm

Picked up at HNL in the afternoon yesterday (Sunday). I had a luxury reservation and was given my choice of a Cadillac XTS or a free upgrade to a BMW X3, 4-series convertible, or X5 in the VIP section. There was an Infiniti QX70 parked next to the X3 and I asked if i could take that instead. After a short discussion with the manager, they said, sure.

They were very accommodating -- and a bit surprised that I didn't want a BMW. I explained that I was looking for something I hadn't driven yet -- and I previously drove the X5 and the convertible was too small.

The Executive and Emerald sections were pretty sparse. They had a bunch of Nissan Frontiers -- I guess it's a tough sale given that most people flying into HNL will have luggage that isn't easily stored in a pickup.

Exec:
- 2x Nissan Frontier SV crew cab pickups
- 1x Dodge Caravan
- 1x Ford Mustang
- 1x Jeep Wrangler 4dr
- 2x Subaru Forester

Emerald:
- 2x Nissan Frontier SV (one 4x4)
- 1x Nissan Altima SV
- 1x Nissan Altima S
- 1x Subaru Legacy

Last edited by qs933; Sep 25, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:17 pm

Picked up early this morning (Monday). Nothing very exciting on either side. I've been wanting to try a redesigned 2017 CR-V, so I took an LX AWD, which had less than 3K miles.

Exec:
- Multiple Honda Accord LX
- 2017 Honda CR-V LX AWD
- 2017 Honda CR-V LX FWD
- 2016 Honda CR-V LX FWD
- Dodge Challenger

Emerald:
- 2017 Honda Civic LX
- 2017 Honda HR-V
- 2017 Honda Fit LX
- Multiple Subaru Impreza
- Multiple Toyota Corolla LE
- Toyota Camry LE
- 2017 Nissan Altima SL
- 2017 Nissan Altima SV
- 2016 Nissan Sentra SR
- Hyundai Sonata

The upgrade section had a 2017 BMW 740i, a couple 4-series convertibles, an Audi Q5, an Audi Q7, and an Infiniti QX70.

Last edited by qs933; Sep 25, 2017 at 6:37 pm
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:36 pm

which had less than 3K miles*.
*On an ISLAND

;-)
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:19 pm

Picked up early this morning (Monday). Nothing very exciting on either side. I've been wanting to try a redesigned 2017 CR-V, so I took an LX AWD, which had less than 3K miles.
Let me know how you like the new 2017 CRV.

I've been keeping mine so far, a base model 2WD LX CRV that had 30mi when I picked it up couple of weeks ago. And it's been a very practical small SUV. Good visibility, nicely intuitive center console and stack and has real buttons for all A/C controls (unlike some newer cars I see where everything is touchscreen), great gas mileage, and great LED DRL. The taillights are nicely redesigned also. And definitely they put in nicer wheels for the 2017 base models so that's nice too

The infotainment could be a bit nicer but it is a base model and it does its daily practical job well.

I'm probably gonna go in next week to switch out to something else....good to hear they have plenty of CRVs. Got some friends staying with me for a bit in a month or so...so will probably have to go back again and hunt for a CRV later....
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:14 am

Let me know how you like the new 2017 CRV.
I’ll do a longer write-up as a separate post, but I can see why it’s so popular. Mostly high quality interior materials (though I was disappointed that the rear doors used lower-grade materials than the front), very quiet and smooth ride, and ample cargo space. Relatively minor, but I also liked the LED turn signals, front and rear. Very premium.

One other thing to note: no privacy glass in the LX trim and no cargo cover means whatever is in the cargo area is exposed.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:28 am

anyone made a trip here just before new year? What were the availability look like at that time?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by hchang2017
anyone made a trip here just before new year? What were the availability look like at that time?
You mean Dec 29/30/31? Seeing as those 3 days are Fri/Sat/Sun....I assume it may be very limited due to high demand from weekend days + holiday weekend.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Last night was all CRV's on the exec side with 1 minivan. So CRV it is!
ginmqi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.