Cars at HNL

Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
Alamo's lot at HNL is outside of the airport. Enterprise too. At a macro level, I'm sure cars get mixed between the three, but it's not like the locations where they share the same lot or facility.

A Premium reservation at National will probably get you a 300, Impala, or Taurus, with the occasional Maxima thrown in the mix. The 300 will usually be a "300C" that they set aside from the Exec aisle (Impalas are usually offered as Exec).

They also have Honda Accord LXs and Subaru Legacys in the fleet, which are classified as Premium. I've seen them park the Accords in the Emerald Aisle, so I think they realize that it's not exactly what you'd expect for a Premium reservation.

I've seen quite alot if nissan Maxima's from 2016 and 2017 model year lately in the fleet at least in nyc. Honestly of all the premium cars I like the Maxima's the most specially in the SV trim. The few kia cadenza I have seen I like as well. The 300c for me I find really uncomfortable with my knee banging on the center stack. The impala I would take of none other was available. If you're Carrying people around than its a good choice but otherwise I would take a maxima or even perhaps the base honda Accord national carries. I would honestly take a Ford fusion titanium over the impala and even perhaps the 300c even if I found the car comfortable.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 6:32 am

Alamo's lot at HNL is outside of the airport. Enterprise too. At a macro level, I'm sure cars get mixed between the three, but it's not like the locations where they share the same lot or facility.

A Premium reservation at National will probably get you a 300, Impala, or Taurus, with the occasional Maxima thrown in the mix. The 300 will usually be a "300C" that they set aside from the Exec aisle (Impalas are usually offered as Exec).

They also have Honda Accord LXs and Subaru Legacys in the fleet, which are classified as Premium. I've seen them park the Accords in the Emerald Aisle, so I think they realize that it's not exactly what you'd expect for a Premium reservation.
Thanks for the info. I was aware that Alamo is not on the same lot as National, but figured as sibling companies, they share the fleet in general. I normally rent National due to my Exec Level, but the price was close to $150 more than the Costco rates I got through Alamo.

I guess I'll stick it out and hope for the best.

Originally Posted by Closingracer
I've seen quite alot if nissan Maxima's from 2016 and 2017 model year lately in the fleet at least in nyc. Honestly of all the premium cars I like the Maxima's the most specially in the SV trim. The few kia cadenza I have seen I like as well. The 300c for me I find really uncomfortable with my knee banging on the center stack. The impala I would take of none other was available. If you're Carrying people around than its a good choice but otherwise I would take a maxima or even perhaps the base honda Accord national carries. I would honestly take a Ford fusion titanium over the impala and even perhaps the 300c even if I found the car comfortable.
I've driven the previous Maximas, not the new ones, so this might be worth the pick up if I can get one. Easter Sunday may mean slim pickings or vice-versa and be packed due to the Easter holidays.

300C and Ford Fusion would be my other options too, I'd skip the Accord or Impala. Worst case, for $10 more, I did make a reservation for a mid-size SUV that I can fall back on.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by humansoul
Thanks for the info. I was aware that Alamo is not on the same lot as National, but figured as sibling companies, they share the fleet in general. I normally rent National due to my Exec Level, but the price was close to $150 more than the Costco rates I got through Alamo.

I guess I'll stick it out and hope for the best.

I've driven the previous Maximas, not the new ones, so this might be worth the pick up if I can get one. Easter Sunday may mean slim pickings or vice-versa and be packed due to the Easter holidays.

300C and Ford Fusion would be my other options too, I'd skip the Accord or Impala. Worst case, for $10 more, I did make a reservation for a mid-size SUV that I can fall back on.

I would also suggest the kia cadenza if you find it. I driven the 2016 model and while it isn't a driver's car it is very premium.... For the price of the car you get very good features. For me as a rental if I needed size I would take it over a C300 or 3 series. Actually I would consider it an upgrade over the 3 series that national carries unless you want something fun to drive which I'll take the 3 series then.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Picked up a rental this morning at HNL. It was storming and part of the parking garage was flooded.

Emerald had:
- Multiple 2017 Hyundai Sonata
- Multiple 2017 Toyota Camry & Corolla
- Mix of Nissan Altima S and SL

Executive had:
- Multiple Nissan Rogue
- Jeep Cherokee
- Honda CR-V LX
- Chevrolet Impala LTZ
- Nissan Maxima SV
- Chevrolet Camaro
- Ford Mustang

The upgrade section had a Tesla, an Infiniti QX60, an Infiniti QX70, a Nissan 370Z, and a BMW (might have been a 4 series -- not sure).

I had a Luxury reservation and they had a 2016 BMW 528i already next to my name on their sheet.

Last edited by qs933; Feb 19, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 3:00 am

Picked up a rental early this morning at HNL.

Emerald had:
- Multiple 2017 Toyota Camry & Corolla
- Multiple Nissan Altima, including a 3.5 SL
- Subaru Impreza
- Chevrolet Malibu Limited (prev. gen)
- 2016 Ford Fusion SE
- 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium
- 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

Executive had:
- Nissan Altima 3.5 SL
- Chevrolet Impala LTZ
- Chevrolet Camaro
- Ford Mustang
- Hyundai Tuscon
- 2x Dodge Challengers
- Nissan Rogue
- Nissan Frontier
- Dodge Charger SXT
- 2016 Ford Fusion SE
- 2017 Subaru Forester

I took the 2017 Fusion Hybrid with just over 1K miles. When I returned it later in the day, I saw a 2017 Prius in the check-in line.

Last edited by qs933; Feb 20, 2017 at 11:27 pm
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG, Ritz Carlton Rewards
I'm still trying to get a feel for how this location works. I see EA/ES in pics, but I also info about going to the counter.

Here's my situation. 4 adults one kid & a week of vacation luggage. In most major cities I'd do my normal ICAR & grab an SUV in the ES/aisle. Here... I'm concerned that we won't have a choice & I'll get stuck in an actual small car if I do this.

For now, I've made a full-size reservation & a midsize SUV reservation, hoping I can leverage the full size into an upgrade due to my status. Think this will work or will I confuse the counter agent?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by KimFT
I'm still trying to get a feel for how this location works. I see EA/ES in pics, but I also info about going to the counter.

Here's my situation. 4 adults one kid & a week of vacation luggage. In most major cities I'd do my normal ICAR & grab an SUV in the ES/aisle. Here... I'm concerned that we won't have a choice & I'll get stuck in an actual small car if I do this.

For now, I've made a full-size reservation & a midsize SUV reservation, hoping I can leverage the full size into an upgrade due to my status. Think this will work or will I confuse the counter agent?
If you arrive after 6:30am, you can go to the 4th floor booth to pick up your car instead of the counter on the first floor. If you booked an ICAR or FCAR and you're an Exec or higher, you'll be asked to select a car from the Emerald stalls or the Exec stalls (seen in the photos above).

Best to walk around first to see what's available -- of course, someone ahead of you in line can snag what you wanted. Keys aren't kept in the vehicles. Doors are sometimes unlocked, but don't load your luggage to "save" a vehicle -- you may be forced to unload everything if someone else claims the keys at the booth.

Keep in mind: what's usually in the Exec stalls are midsize SUVs and smaller: CR-V, Rogue, Escape, Forrester are the typical suspects. There's a good chance you'll find a couple of PCARs too, usually Impala or Maxima.

My guess would be that a large sedan with a big trunk would be better with 4 adults and 1 child than a small SUV, but I've squeezed 4 adults and luggage in a Prius, so I'm sure you could make either one work. If your child is younger than 7, don't forget a booster seat (state law).

Your best bet to leverage an upgrade beyond the Exec or Emerald stalls would be with a PCAR or higher reservation.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 3:49 am

My guess would be that a large sedan with a big trunk would be better with 4 adults and 1 child than a small SUV, but I've squeezed 4 adults and luggage in a Prius, so I'm sure you could make either one work. If your child is younger than 7, don't forget a booster seat (state law).

Your best bet to leverage an upgrade beyond the Exec or Emerald stalls would be with a PCAR or higher reservation.
This is funny, I never knew that. About half the 1st graders I know on Kauai ride shotgun in their parents truck with no booster. Not only does my kid ride in the back, but she's also the only one her age who still uses a booster.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Flying to HNL next month and want at least a standard SUV for my family of 4 (2 adults, 2-2 year olds).

I reserved a standard SUV from both National (Exec Elite) and Enterprise (Platinum). Who's my best bet at receiving an upgrade to a full size SUV? Can I use one of my upgrade certs from Enterprise to do so? Will National give me something off the Exec Aisle if it's to my liking?

Is National just a better fit travelling with kids since they're in terminal parking?

Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by bloc0102
Flying to HNL next month and want at least a standard SUV for my family of 4 (2 adults, 2-2 year olds).

I reserved a standard SUV from both National (Exec Elite) and Enterprise (Platinum). Who's my best bet at receiving an upgrade to a full size SUV? Can I use one of my upgrade certs from Enterprise to do so? Will National give me something off the Exec Aisle if it's to my liking?

Is National just a better fit travelling with kids since they're in terminal parking?

Thanks.
I'll pass on the Enterprise questions as I'm not familiar with their loyalty program or their upgrade certificates. My only experience with Enterprise in Hawaii has been (unfortunately) insurance rentals a few years ago. For those I got a sticky, high mileage Chrysler Sebring sedan and a Ford Focus. Not great (but better than walking to work while my car was being fixed).

I've picked up from National with a Standard SUV reservation at HNL and was given a GMC Arcadia (Premium Crossover, I believe). Not sure if they would have given me a Tahoe or Yukon if they had one, but the prev-gen Arcadia was as spacious as those full size SUVs. Doesn't sound like you'll need the third row. I'd probably go for a well-equipped Grand Cherokee Limited, Murano SV, or Edge Titanium instead of a full size SUV. If you're driving or parking in Waikiki you'll want something smaller than a Tahoe.

In terms of taking something from the Exec section -- my guess would be that they'll be OK if you ask nicely. I've picked from the Exec stalls with a Premium reservation and they were fine with that. However, they did not adjust my reservation or rate, as they said my rate would have been higher.

Not sure which part of the airport you'll be arriving at and how much luggage you'll have, but I'd probably leave my family at baggage claim, pick up the car by myself, and then pick them up.

Last edited by qs933; Apr 3, 2017 at 10:54 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I am pretty sure the Enterprise upgrade coupons only work up to full size sedans.
Also, as a former frequent Enterprise renter, I rarely got upgraded.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by bloc0102

Thanks.
Got in around 8:30 pm and was offered an Enclave or nicely equipped Acadia for my Standard SUV reservation. I was happy with that. I looked at the Exec aisle quickly, but not Emerald. What I noticed in Exec:

Expedition
Rogue X2
Grand Caravan X2. Challenger.
Journey
Jeep Cherokee
Old May 17, 2017, 7:25 pm

I came in on Sunday around 1PM, aisle was pretty much all challengers, mustangs, a couple wranglers and the odd SUV.

It seems like 50% of all the rental cars here are Wranglers or Mustangs.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:07 pm

Picked up a 1-day rental in the early morning on Friday. I had a premium reservation and was told that I was assigned a 2016 300C at the booth. Having driven the 300C twice recently, I asked if they had anything else. Unfortunately, it was slim pickings -- an Impala LT and a 2016 Accord LX on the Exec aisle were the only two PCARs available.

While walking the aisles, a manager approached me and asked if I needed any assistance. I mentioned that I was just looking at my options for my PCAR reservation. He pointed me towards the upgrade section and offered a brand new A4 for a $25 charge. I was tempted, but it looked a little too small for me, my passengers, and luggage.

He was showing me the SUV options and he pointed out a BMW X3. Remembering the X3 promo for Exec members, I asked if I could take it under the promo. We went back to the booth and the agent started to do the paperwork for the X3. The agent then pointed out -- it wasn't an X3. It was an X5. We were both thrown off by the "3" on the door (it was actually the trim level, 35i). The manager said it was his mistake -- and he'd honor it, which was an awesome thing to do.

In addition, the fuel wasn't full (about 3/4) -- they told me not to worry about refueling. They'd take care of it. Definitely a great customer experience.

Other cars in the garage:

Exec:
- 3x 2017 Subaru Forresters (base models)
- 1x Chevrolet Camaro
- 1x Dodge Challenger
- 1x Honda Accord LX
- 1x Chevrolet Impala LT
- 2x Dodge Journey
- 1x Nissan Rogue
- 1x Jeep Cherokee

Emerald:
- 1x 2017 Honda HR-V
- 3x 2017 Subaru Impreza
- 2x Nissan Altima S
- 1x Toyota Corolla
- 1x Hyundai Elantra

Last edited by qs933; May 28, 2017 at 12:35 am
Old May 21, 2017, 1:59 am

qs933 - Thanks for the update. I'll be making the 30 minute trip (haha) out to HNL next weekend w/the family for our quarterly Oahu vacation as soon as school lets out. I've never driven the HR-V so I'm hoping to get one of those to see how it compares to the CR-V. On the other hand if I see the new Chrysler Pacifica I'll probably get that instead. I've seen that one at LIH but not at HNL yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.