Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Repairing Windshield Crack Before Returning

Repairing Windshield Crack Before Returning

Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by xuni4everx
So I return the car yesterday, and the agent didn't recognize the chip in the windshield. I am guessing they will contact me through mail like last time when I had a problem at HNL. I actually want to know how this case will handle through credit card insurance company, so i will at least purchase CDW through them next time, I believe it cost $8.99 in CA.
I did 26 rentals this year, and had two problems including this.
Maybe you'll be fine. I've had 10-12 rentals this year and one dented door with scratching that was someone hitting me in a parking lot while I wasn't there (and taking off) and the recent windshield chip. I picked up the chip an hour from dropping off the car, so that was really annoying!

Good luck...
Old Jul 9, 2012, 12:56 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arf04
Maybe you'll be fine. I've had 10-12 rentals this year and one dented door with scratching that was someone hitting me in a parking lot while I wasn't there (and taking off) and the recent windshield chip. I picked up the chip an hour from dropping off the car, so that was really annoying!

Good luck...
This is the exact reason I signed up for the American Express Premium Car Rental Protection program. $17.95 flat rate per rental covers everything like this. Very worthwhile.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by dll
This is the exact reason I signed up for the American Express Premium Car Rental Protection program. $17.95 flat rate per rental covers everything like this. Very worthwhile.
I'll have to look into that to see if it's offered in Canada. I don't currently have an AMEX but have been contemplating one for a while.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:14 pm

It looks like there is no advantage to the AMEX program over what my Visa gives me. I don't pay a per rental premium and I don't have to go to my personal insurance first for a claim anyhow. For damage to the vehicle I can opt to just go to Visa directly, which I've done for my two claims.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by dll
AMEX insurance program benefit when you do longer rentals,I only rent one day, getting CDW through national will only cost $8.99, cheaper than $17.95.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I purchased a rider on my commercial liability policy that extends rental car coverage to unlimited days and covers anything not covered by other insurance, including my VISA coverage. It is about $100 a year and I get to hand any claims off to my agent at the local insurance company that I use. National does not want to have to negotiate with Janet. Janet takes care of her customers.

I looked at the AMEX coverage, and it would be a pretty good deal for me as most of my rentals are 3-4 days compared to the rental car company rates.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by dll
I think it's $19.95 now. $17.95 in California maybe?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
A few years ago, I got a letter from National regarding a crack in the windshield. I searched on FT and some old threads stated that National will send 3-4 letters to previous renters to see who responds. I know when a stone hits the windshield and none did on this rental.

That rental was a o/w from LAX to LGB at a very low price. I called up the phone # in the letter and said nothing hit the windshield. I also stated that I picked up the car after dark. I heard nothing more from them.

When a stone hits the windshield, I will buy a repair "kit" and do the repair. I only had to do that only a few times in the last 30+ years I rented cars. Last year for the first time, I picked up a stone on my personal car and I did the repair on it. There is a small chip but after 5K miles, the chip has not spread after the repair. Before the repair, there was a small "star" with cracks going out from the chip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.