Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at SFO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:15 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Picked out a nice loaded Suburban from the Executive aisle last Wednesday. There was a smaller SUV and a full-sized pickup, a lot of Chargers and Maximas. The Suburban was perfect for 4 of us for our drive out to Sonoma and then for touring over to Napa with another 2 couples for dinner.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Picked out a nice loaded Suburban from the Executive aisle last Wednesday.
Was it a '15 (new body style) or older? I'd love to grab a '15 Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon as these are on the short list for replacing my wife's minivan.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Didn't pay any attention to the outside, but based on the gm.com pictures of the dash it was a 2015.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Close to 11pm on a Sunday night and pickings were very slim.

ES and EA were more or less indistinguishable. So many minivans, and by so many I mean about 60% of ES and 30% of EA? In addition to this, I saw
- Camry
- Altima
- Impala (new style but with 20K miles)
- RAM pickup
- Sonata
- Malibu

I grabbed a Hyundai Tucson. A smaller, less featured car than I usually pick but it had working XM.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:58 pm

Any recent reports on ER-LUX and/or ER-PREM? I have an upcoming ER-PREM res and last time I was here the best they could muster was a new 200C (and discount to ICAR) along with an excuse about having to use the ER sections as storage for GM recall cars... the 200C was darn nice for an SCAR, but the lack of operational ER sections is an annoyance that is growing in frequency across MANY stations. I'm hoping this isn't the case this time around.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:01 pm

I just pulled out of SFO and not much has changed since my last visit in July. EA and ES were hard to tell apart with both having a mix of Impala (2LT on ES and Limited on EA, no LTZ), new 200s (base and S, both with cloth), Altimas on both sides, Passat on ES and Jetta on EA, and a few others that didn't stand out. PS had a Navigator for $75/day and a V60 for $50 a day (which just seams like a joke to me given the equipment level). The ER sections were all empty which I will continue to harp on as being my biggest annoyance with National over the last 6 months.

The podeum greater, however, was extremely nice. While he did point me to ES when I asked about ER-PREM, I let him know that I'd really appreciate it if they could find a PCAR that wasn't an Impala or Maxima. He made a call and said they were cleaning a 300 and an S60 and I told him I'd take whichever came up first (hoping it would be the 300). We chatted a bit about why the ER sections never seem to be utilized and he says the push for 100% utilization means there are very rarely enough cars to keep those sections stocked and they're constantly poaching from them to keep the ailse filled (which would also explain why LCARs never seem to be reservable here). He also said the different recalls continue to hit them hard as well. Eventually an XC60 is pulled up and offered and I go ahead and take it because I'd been waiting 10 minutes at this point... I instantly regret it as I see a Lacrosse being pulled up behind me as I'm pulling off towards the booth and trying to figure out how to turn off the heated seats (button nested inside of one of the climate control dials)... luckily it's a 18 hour rental that will probably see 10 miles driven.

One other thing I noticed that struck me as strange was VIP had 3 cars behind a rope with persons names printed on the hang tags... I wouldn't be shocked by this except the cars were a Fusion (non-Titanium), a Maxima, and a Malibu. I would think for anyone actually int he VIP program, and number of the still mediocre cars available tonight would have filled those slots.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I just pulled out of SFO and not much has changed since my last visit in July. EA and ES were hard to tell apart with both having a mix of Impala (2LT on ES and Limited on EA, no LTZ), new 200s (base and S, both with cloth), Altimas on both sides, Passat on ES and Jetta on EA, and a few others that didn't stand out. PS had a Navigator for $75/day and a V60 for $50 a day (which just seams like a joke to me given the equipment level). The ER sections were all empty which I will continue to harp on as being my biggest annoyance with National over the last 6 months.

The podeum greater, however, was extremely nice. While he did point me to ES when I asked about ER-PREM, I let him know that I'd really appreciate it if they could find a PCAR that wasn't an Impala or Maxima. He made a call and said they were cleaning a 300 and an S60 and I told him I'd take whichever came up first (hoping it would be the 300). We chatted a bit about why the ER sections never seem to be utilized and he says the push for 100% utilization means there are very rarely enough cars to keep those sections stocked and they're constantly poaching from them to keep the ailse filled (which would also explain why LCARs never seem to be reservable here). He also said the different recalls continue to hit them hard as well. Eventually an XC60 is pulled up and offered and I go ahead and take it because I'd been waiting 10 minutes at this point... I instantly regret it as I see a Lacrosse being pulled up behind me as I'm pulling off towards the booth and trying to figure out how to turn off the heated seats (button nested inside of one of the climate control dials)... luckily it's a 18 hour rental that will probably see 10 miles driven.

One other thing I noticed that struck me as strange was VIP had 3 cars behind a rope with persons names printed on the hang tags... I wouldn't be shocked by this except the cars were a Fusion (non-Titanium), a Maxima, and a Malibu. I would think for anyone actually int he VIP program, and number of the still mediocre cars available tonight would have filled those slots.

Good for you for speaking up and asking for what you want. I find that to generally be one of the best strengths of National that they are willing to find you a car that would make you happy.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:20 pm

I'd say I'm about 50/50 on the greaters actually being helpful when ER isn't functioning... the guy at SFO last night was particularly nice and helpful. I get a lot of shoulder-shrugs when I question why ER is not being used, especially on late arrivals (after 10pm) at mid-size locations when the drivers have already left for the night.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Arrived on a Saturday morning around 10:30am.

ES and EA were virtually indistinguishable. Nothing of note. All sedans. Camry, Altima, Sonata, Malibu, 200, Mazda 3, Chevy Cruze, Impala (old style).

I had a Premium reservation, but the premium reserve aisle had nothing. Also no luxury cars around. I inquired about the Infiniti and Volvo in the Premier area they said no, not for you without paying. They had two maxima available but I'm not a fan of that car. I was offered a Toyota Avalon if I could wait 10 minutes. I said no, so they finally said I could have the Buick Lacrosse they had in the VIP section (next to a Tahoe and a VW Passat which were also unavailable to me). Slim pickings indeed.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:07 am

I personally would never complain about a Lacrosse on a PCAR res... it's my #3 PCAR behind the Cadenza (newest design, most luxurious, solid NAV, best features/infotainment) or 300C (decent trim level, RWD).
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:29 am

Any updates? Thanks
Old Dec 10, 2014, 9:46 pm

Hi all.

Will be flying to SFO on Wednesday, July 1 2015 and the flight gets in at 12.30pm.

Would like to get one of the new Impalas as I got stuck with an old one last time with Alamo at LAX.

What is selection like in the middle of the day/week for Emerald Aisle - a good chance of getting an Impala or something full size? Are National still running a mixture of old and new Impala models?

Thankyou!
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Any experience with the 2 downtown SF locations? Do they have exec selection and is there a good chance of getting an SUV?

- thinking of a weekend trip to Tahoe
Old Dec 11, 2014, 4:27 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by eethan
Any experience with the 2 downtown SF locations? Do they have exec selection and is there a good chance of getting an SUV?

- thinking of a weekend trip to Tahoe
There are 4 downtown locations. I've rented at Bush and O'Farrell. Neither of them have an Emerald Aisle or Executive selection.

Bush was a zoo. Lots of tourists with lots of suit cases and chaos in the tiny parking garage. I got the smallest car I've ever rented with National just so I could leave. The staff was clueless and played a bad version of musical cars. That took an extra few minutes and they had me almost back into another car.

O'Farrell was much nicer. My name was on a board and I was the only one. They deliver the car to you on the street. I got a nice midsize, which was exactly what I wanted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.