Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at DTW

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by mrc2000
I rent quiet frequently at DTW. I started off as a Emerald member and went on to become an Executive Elite just with all my rentals there. As far as I can tell, folks at this location are very good to work with. I have seen several Cadillac CTS/XTS, Volvos there lot of times. They wouldn't usually question when you pick them up. They also accommodate individual requests for specific cars by bringing them from the back.
I haven't seen the Caddy's on the ES aisle at all, and for a long time I never even saw them on the lot, although I've noticed that they seem to have gotten more common in the middle area now between the returns and the aisles. I've never tried asking for one on an aisle reservation though (and wouldn't have any problem with them saying no to one). But I would completely agree, I've found the people there to be very good in general at working with you to find something that you'd like, and if they have it somewhere they can bring it up, they'll do it.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:10 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by mrc2000
I rent quiet frequently at DTW. I started off as a Emerald member and went on to become an Executive Elite just with all my rentals there. As far as I can tell, folks at this location are very good to work with. I have seen several Cadillac CTS/XTS, Volvos there lot of times. They wouldn't usually question when you pick them up. They also accommodate individual requests for specific cars by bringing them from the back.
I agree, they are pretty good. I will say though they do have a good idea of cars that should be on reservation only and if you took from the wrong area. Last time I rented a Full Size SUV on free days the guy in front of me (also in a Tahoe) had to do the backup of shame because he took it and didn't have a reservation for one.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:23 am

I'll be picking up at DTW next month and doing a trip through Ontario. For part of that trip I will be in Toronto, which I know has toll roads. Does anyone know if I need to get a toll transponder from the DTW station or if the 'plate pass' system will work in Toronto?

Side note, would there be any other alternatives than using National's Toll Convenience program as I will only be in Toronto for a day or 2 out of a week long trip and I know National will charge me 3.95/day even if I don't incur a toll each day.

Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:31 am

As far as I know they do not offer ETR transponders at this station. I don't know if plate pass will work on the ETR either, so you may want to ask or just avoid the 407 when you're in the GTA.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
As far as I know they do not offer ETR transponders at this station. I don't know if plate pass will work on the ETR either, so you may want to ask or just avoid the 407 when you're in the GTA.
Okay, thanks for the advice and the quick response!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by tstad
Okay, thanks for the advice and the quick response!
No problem - I do know they often have Canadian plated cars available (not in EA/ES, but in a special row), so it may be worth asking at the counter if those are ETR-compatible if that's a necessary part of your journey.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:47 am

Those might be for one ways to Canada only.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Those might be for one ways to Canada only.
I've been able to get them for my trips to Canada but had to ask.

Thursday 10PM

ES notables included a brand new 2016 Toyota Sequoia Limited, a VW GTI, Wranglers in 2 and 4-door varieties, several 2016 Camaro coupes, a Lacrosse, a Maxima, and a bunch of the usual suspects (pickups in 1/2 and 3/4 ton flavors and small Jeeps).
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, National EE, HH Diamond
I was there last week and saw an Infiniti Q50 3.7 in ES. There was also a 2016 Camaro. I ended up going with a GTI that was parked in EA since I have never had a chance to rent one before.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:55 am

Saturday around 2PM

ES:
Lacrosse
Impala LT
Impala Limited LTZ
several pickups
several mitsubishi outlanders
Altimas and Sonatas
2017 Escape SE

EA:
mainly small cross-over types
Kia Soul (seems to be real common in EA these days)

Last pickup we'll have for a couple months. Ended up taking the Escape.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Platepass did work for me when I had a ON plated car on the 407. It was very expensive though with $4.05 Camera Charge and plate pass fees.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by xienon
Platepass did work for me when I had a ON plated car on the 407. It was very expensive though with $4.05 Camera Charge and plate pass fees.
I think I will just try to avoid the 407 altogether, it just seems like a money trap from what I've read about it further...

On a side note, it seems like DTW has had some interesting selections lately. Looking forward to that!
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:13 am

My flight arrives Tuesday at 1:30 AM.
Anybody have experience getting a car at that time?
What should I expect?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:23 pm

Last Sunday around 11 PM, slim pickings.

A couple Sonatas, and Santa Fes, an Impala, a lot of Jeep and Dodge crossovers (I have a no Chrysler rule when renting). Not a whole lot else. I took a Toyota Rav 4 from ES and am quite happy with it. Usually the late Sunday night selection is better, maybe they were running behind getting cars checked in and washed.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:36 pm

I am picking up a Standard SUV from DTW and I am really hoping to get a Jeep Grand Cherokee from the Executive Aisle. I got lucky the last time as I grabbed one as soon as they were parking one in the area. Any idea whether I would have a decent pool to choose from on a Saturday noon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.