Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at DTW

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 5:24 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Picked up Thursday around 10PM

EA/ES pretty much indistinguishable. 50% minivans, of which most were newer Kia Carnivals. I think I've seen more of those on the rental lot than I have in the wild. Also had some Rams and a few Ford F250 Super Duty pickups. The rest was mainly small SUV's except for one lone Traverse. Other highlights included a Challenger and a Camaro.

Upgrade area had another Camaro, a couple of Volvo XC60s, and some Suburbans.

I've also confirmed that the deposit hold put on my card is $500.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:49 pm

Sunday around 6:30pm

Pretty similar to dwbf11's experience. ES had probably only a handful of actual sedans in there (sonata, altima, 200), and most was small SUV's. Lots of Hyundai small suv's. 2016 Ford Escape SE ecoboost, 2015 ford edge titanium.

Didn't look closely at EA, but looked pretty similar.

Took the Edge (interestingly, with an extra-cost paint job and the panoramic sun roof). Looked like they pulled in an Explorer while I was waiting to exit, kinda looked like it could be a 2016.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:18 pm

Saturday around 6:00PM

Very slim selection available for some reason this time. That said, they were bringing in cars at a relatively decent clip.

ES:
Altima
Nissan Pathfinder
Buick Enclave
various Hyundai cuv's
2016 Explorer Limited pulled in while we were looking around

EA:
number of small suv/cuv's
Ford Fusion Titanium pulled in while we were looking (had a pretty strong smell probably covering up smoke)
Buick Encore

I was trying to convince my wife we should take the Explorer, but she'd asked the greater about whether they might have anything like an Impala LTZ around. He hadn't thought so, but managed to locate one and brought it around, so we ended up taking that. Outside hadn't been washed, but inside was clean, which is all that really matters to me. Our record with the staff here trying to find something that will make us happy stays intact (of course, they probably recognize us by now too).
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by piper28
Saturday around 6:00PM

Very slim selection available for some reason this time. That said, they were bringing in cars at a relatively decent clip.

ES:
Altima
Nissan Pathfinder
Buick Enclave
various Hyundai cuv's
2016 Explorer Limited pulled in while we were looking around

EA:
number of small suv/cuv's
Ford Fusion Titanium pulled in while we were looking (had a pretty strong smell probably covering up smoke)
Buick Encore

I was trying to convince my wife we should take the Explorer, but she'd asked the greater about whether they might have anything like an Impala LTZ around. He hadn't thought so, but managed to locate one and brought it around, so we ended up taking that. Outside hadn't been washed, but inside was clean, which is all that really matters to me. Our record with the staff here trying to find something that will make us happy stays intact (of course, they probably recognize us by now too).
Friday night was slim pickings too, which is weird as normally Friday-Sunday are the best times here.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:46 pm

Sat around 6:30PM

Better than last time, at least there were a fair number of cars there.

ES:
lots of various uninteresting suv types, but nothing really outstanding
couple of sonatas and altimas
2015 impala ltz
impala lt
2016 impala ltz driven up while we were looking
Ram 1500 Hemi

EA:
Almost entirely small suv's of sort, but generally things that weren't interesting like jeep compasses.
another Ram 1500 hemi
Some sort of odd short minivan type thing? (Didn't get a look at the badge, and I didn't quite recognize it. Reminded me a lot of a ford transit connect passenger van, but I think it was smaller than that, similar shape though.)

Took the 16 impala. Noticing a few small changes, mainly where some of the lights on the dash are. Not sure if apple car play is enabled on it, and from what I've read, android auto comes via a patch sometime in march or so.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:25 pm

Sunday around 6:30PM

Lackluster selection Only the first couple of rows were really in service, with everything beyond that parked in solid.

EA/ES had no real distinction between the two.

Mainly non-interesting sedans, Altimas, Sonatas, and a ton of 200's. Saw a 300 leaving as we were walking over to the section.

In the EA section, couple of Ford Transit Connect passenger type vans.
A 2016 Hyundai Santa Fe (Can't remember, is this the all-new model or is it the Tucson? Didn't look real impressive inside)

Scattered, several pickup trucks. F-150 in ES, I think a Toyota of some sort in the grey area between the two areas, and I think it was a Dodge in the EA section.

Ended up taking a 2016 Malibu LTZ. Definite step down from the Impala LTZ we turned in.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:48 am

Thursday 10PM

As good a selection as I've seen in a while. Plenty of PCARs, an MX-5, and upmarket sedan fare (Chevy Impalas and Malibus in LTZ trim, Ford Fusion Titaniums). A handful of pickups but not many. And, the usual small SUVs (mostly Korean), although a bright orange Escape certainly stood out. Almost grabbed a Transit Connect Titanium with a huge glass roof to do some moving, but opted for the '16 Town and Country with 100 miles on it right next to it.

Upgrade area had a Taurus (odd), Tahoes and Yukons.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:03 am

Thursday 10PM

EA and ES pretty much indistinguishable. 95% Minivans (Transit Connect, Town and Country) and SUVs. Plenty of Acadias, Traverses, and a couple of 2016 Explorers. Only cars were a sole Camry, a Challenger, and a 300C.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 7:07 pm

Saturday around 7pm

ES:
Fair mix, although largely SUV oriented.
Several Hyundai Santa Fe's
Escape SE
Jeep Cherokee
Fake Baby Jeep thingy
Couple of 200's
Looked like a couple of Impala Limited's (been a while since I've seen these)
Malibu

EA:
Lot of miscellaneous sedans, nothing that really stood out

Saw a Hyundai Azera that was parked behind the last accessible row of cars in ES, and we asked about maybe moving a car to get to that one, and they let us take that. Gotta admit, seems to be a pretty nice car from initial impressions, although a little higher mileage than I usually see on cars here (almost 18k).
Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:47 pm

Saturday around 7pm

Was fairly cold so didn't spend a huge amount of time walking around. That said, ES was pretty decently stocked compared to my last several visits.

Ford Flex Limited
Chevy Impala LT
2016 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Fusion Titanium
2016 Ford Explorer Limited
Camaro
Buice Enclave
Chevy Terrain pulled up to replace the Flex when someone took that
Fair number of other cars, they actually had several rows stocked and available this time, instead of either parked in or empty.

Didnt get to looking on the EA side, was too cold to run around much.

Ended up taking the Cherokee, been wanting to try one, and this is the first time I've seen a Limited trim one.

Oh, and they had signs at their exits apologizing for the exteriors of the cars. Apparently they've got a project going on to improve their car wash or something.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:47 pm

Tuesday 12PM

Upgrade area was stocked with Cadillacs (SRX, ATS, XTS, and CTS). There was also a Yukon.

EA/ES was heavy in RWD sports cars, with at least 3 Mustangs (2 convertibles, 1 couple), some Camaros, a Mazda MX5 with retracting hard top, and several Challengers. There were a few small SUV's as well. Notably absent were any PCARs or Minivans. Interesting car of the day award goes to the Nissan Altima 3.5SL - did not know these higher trim V6 Altimas were in the fleet.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Tuesday 12PM

Upgrade area was stocked with Cadillacs (SRX, ATS, XTS, and CTS). There was also a Yukon.

EA/ES was heavy in RWD sports cars, with at least 3 Mustangs (2 convertibles, 1 couple), some Camaros, a Mazda MX5 with retracting hard top, and several Challengers. There were a few small SUV's as well. Notably absent were any PCARs or Minivans. Interesting car of the day award goes to the Nissan Altima 3.5SL - did not know these higher trim V6 Altimas were in the fleet.
I picked up an Altima 3.5SL at EWR last weekend. Was pleasantly surprised to see a 3.5SL after years if only seeing the S with the I4 engine. The heated steering wheel was my favorite feature other than the engine.

The 3.5SL is so much more fun than the base Altima, though it torque-steers a lot.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:03 pm

Sunday around 7:45pm

Very uninspiring selection of cars - and to top things off, it seemed like half the cars had the wipers up indicating you couldn't take them. (And any interest in them resulted in the driver bringing new cars out to you snapping at you that it wasn't available). Greeter was on duty when we first got there, and he at least was the usual pleasant experience we tend to get here, but that guy bringing cars up was not a great representative for the company. I'm guessing the greeter must have went off duty shortly after we got there, because he disappeared.

Mainly had a lot of low end sedans. Sonatas, Altimas and Malibus were there in plenty of choices. A number of small Hyundai SUV's, pretty much all with the windshield wipers up. Even a number of Impala Limited's sitting around (been seeing more and more of these lately, a bad trend).

They finally relented and let us take the grand cherokee limited that was sitting there with its wipers up.

I'll have to pay more attention to the Altima's in the future if higher trim ones are starting to show up. I'd be willing to give that a shot.

Car wash project apparently still isn't done either. Sign still said it should be done in a week. Wish I could use their definition of a week for the project to be done as a basis for the rental's definition of a week .
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by piper28
Sunday around 7:45pm

Very uninspiring selection of cars - and to top things off, it seemed like half the cars had the wipers up indicating you couldn't take them. (And any interest in them resulted in the driver bringing new cars out to you snapping at you that it wasn't available). Greeter was on duty when we first got there, and he at least was the usual pleasant experience we tend to get here, but that guy bringing cars up was not a great representative for the company. I'm guessing the greeter must have went off duty shortly after we got there, because he disappeared.

Mainly had a lot of low end sedans. Sonatas, Altimas and Malibus were there in plenty of choices. A number of small Hyundai SUV's, pretty much all with the windshield wipers up. Even a number of Impala Limited's sitting around (been seeing more and more of these lately, a bad trend).

They finally relented and let us take the grand cherokee limited that was sitting there with its wipers up.

I'll have to pay more attention to the Altima's in the future if higher trim ones are starting to show up. I'd be willing to give that a shot.

Car wash project apparently still isn't done either. Sign still said it should be done in a week. Wish I could use their definition of a week for the project to be done as a basis for the rental's definition of a week .
Wipers up means not in service? That's news to me... Around here we park our cars like that to keep the wiper blades from freezing to the windshield.

Incidentally, I own an Altima 3.5 SV (the midrange trim with the V6). It's a nice ride, though I've never seen one in a rental fleet - they're usually base-spec 4-cylinders.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by strickerj
Wipers up means not in service? That's news to me... Around here we park our cars like that to keep the wiper blades from freezing to the windshield.
That's what they were telling us (and I'm pretty sure I've been told that there before). Course, I'm not sure it was stopping people from grabbing those cars and leaving with them if they didn't get caught by the porter guy after the greeter had left. As far as I could tell, the only reason they weren't available was they hadn't put the slip of paper in the car for checkout yet. But it's kinda ridiculous to keep bringing cars out and saying they're not available if you don't have someone processing them to get them available. By the time we left, there were at least 10-15 cars like that.

In general we're treated pretty well at DTW, so I'll just kinda write this one off as an anomaly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.