Cars at PHX (Phoenix Airport)

Old Oct 26, 2008, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Paminaz
...Book as far in advance as you can...to get the best rate and to get a car. It's starting to get busier with our weather getting better. First weekend in Nov is Nascar and cars will all sell out. I don't know when you are coming but I thought I'd toss that note in just in case.
I am experiencing first-hand how true your advice is to book as far in advance as we can in PHX. I've held two 1-week reservations back to back for mid-January since July, and although I continue to check, the PHX January rates continue to climb higher and higher.

Haven't rented National in PHX, so have no experience, but I take it that January is Prime Time for Snow Birds in PHX? I guess I shouldn't expect rates to drop!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:35 pm
Suspended

As the weather here is Great in the winter and it's Cold most everywhere else, yes Jan thru May rates tend to be high.

Plus there are so many major events here starting with the Barrett-Jackson Classic Car Auction and a few other classic car auctions at the same time. Then the ball players are heading in for Spring Training baseball...then the Games Begin in Feb, major Prime Month. The Arabian Horse show lasts several weeks. People from all over the world come for that.

Winter is SEASON here so I wouldn't expect your rates to go down. With the economy the way it is, it's hard to tell if all the car rental companies will have as large a fleet as normal out here so that might have an affect on rates as well. You know, sell out faster and then the rates will be higher on available fleet. You can liken that to hotel rates or airline rates being higher when there is less supply available. It happens with car rates too.

So the best advice I can give to anyone for PHX...book early to make sure you even get a car as we are moving into the busier months now. We've been selling out quite frequently. But we have a greater variety of makes and models than we've ever had before. Seems like the only maker we don't carry is Honda. I've seen almost everything else cross our path of late.

Make sure you get those Hotel Reservations booked Too!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
But we have a greater variety of makes and models than we've ever had before. Seems like the only maker we don't carry is Honda. I've seen almost everything else cross our path of late.
Anything hot like a G8 GT or the like kicking around there these days?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Anything hot like a G8 GT or the like kicking around there these days?
The new G8 is showing up as a Premium car in the fleet...so not something you'd see on the EA or Exec Aisle as a normal choice. I've only seen a handful of these come through. We've not received a shipment of these to have in PHX yet. The ones that have come through here arrived from other cities via a one-way drop off.

We are still receiving cars on a daily basis though and I have no idea what's been ordered for PHX. It's possible we'll have more of them here...but as for now it's Lady Luck who will decide. Sorry I don't have better news for you at this time!

As for anything else Hot? I think we'll have some of the new Challengers as we get deeper into season but don't look for any of the Highly Sought After models. The dealers wanna sell those and from what I hear there's a $15K mark-up on those! We'll have some of the "normal" ones running around here...again probable deeper into season.

Hot is in the mind of the beholder. We do still have some Nissan 350Z's here in PHX. We still have a Corvette or two. But those are part of our Red Hot fleet.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Hot is in the mind of the beholder. We do still have some Nissan 350Z's here in PHX. We still have a Corvette or two. But those are part of our Red Hot fleet.
How does one book something from the Red Hot fleet? I hadn't heard of it before...
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:22 pm
Suspended

How does one book something from the Red Hot fleet? I hadn't heard of it before...
Just ask when you arrive in Phx. It's limited to first come first serve. Not all locations have these type of vehicles so they aren't book-able in the normal booking system.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:51 pm

Just ask when you arrive in Phx. It's limited to first come first serve. Not all locations have these type of vehicles so they aren't book-able in the normal booking system.
That's what I figured. I'm guessing if I booked luxury (which I'd probably anyways so I have something nice to pick from rather than chancing on the EA/ES) then the upgrade wouldn't be too back-breaking financially?
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:43 pm
Suspended

That's what I figured. I'm guessing if I booked luxury (which I'd probably anyways so I have something nice to pick from rather than chancing on the EA/ES) then the upgrade wouldn't be too back-breaking financially?
The Corvette is the highest priced Red Hot car we have at this time. You can usually get it for just about $200 per day. (Which is less than Rent-A-Vet in Scottsdale!) You must also show proof of insurance, there's a $2500 deposit, you must be over 25 and you must have a normal credit card, no Visa/MC debit cards allowed.
The reason for proof of insurance is because you cannot purchase LDW or CDW for it. If you break it, you must have enough to fix it. People who rent them tend to DRIVE them...if you know what I mean.
The other Red Hot cars don't have as many restrictions.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:20 pm

The Corvette is the highest priced Red Hot car we have at this time. You can usually get it for just about $200 per day. (Which is less than Rent-A-Vet in Scottsdale!) You must also show proof of insurance, there's a $2500 deposit, you must be over 25 and you must have a normal credit card, no Visa/MC debit cards allowed.
The reason for proof of insurance is because you cannot purchase LDW or CDW for it. If you break it, you must have enough to fix it. People who rent them tend to DRIVE them...if you know what I mean.
The other Red Hot cars don't have as many restrictions.
$200/day? That's expensive! Hertz rents the Corvette ZHZ for about $60/day, and Hertz is usually more expensive too!
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Hertz rents the Corvette ZHZ for about $60/day, and Hertz is usually more expensive too!
Tell us where, please. Hertz gets more than $60/day for base 4-cylinder cars (not even hybrids) in their Green Fleet.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Tell us where, please. Hertz gets more than $60/day for base 4-cylinder cars (not even hybrids) in their Green Fleet.
It's in Las Vegas- there's a coupon floating around for ~40-50% off their most expensive car class. The Corvette ZHZ is usually $112/day, but with these combination of coupons:

CDP: 1 (standard AAA autoclub discount)
RQ: PFHPCD

It was as low as $50/day in the summer. I haven't tried the combo lately, so I'm not sure if it still works, but there are reports that it is.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Yea I don't think you could get a Corvette that cheap in PHX anywhere.

Right now full size cars are higher than that...Heck I think compacts are higher than that. Of course rates change daily...but Corvettes are in the Premium Specialty fleets of anyone who would carry them so you won't see them that low around here.

Vegas probably has more companies carrying them hence the possible coupons or rate wars to get them on the road. But that's only a guess.

Ours are on the road pretty steady.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:39 pm

Thanks for the help Pam. I've been a car rental geek for some time so flying in and renting a 'Vette would be a sort of "coming of age" type thing for me

Not to mention that the girlfriend would love me and her car-nut uncle down there would probably approve of me in a heartbeat
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Next Monday at PHX, a four-day rental is pricing out at $788!

Fortunately, I made my reservation for $39/day a few weeks ago... I suspect it'll be like when I was there on 10/13, where the EA/ES was virtually empty (although the ES did have a convertable, which I couldn't use) and I had to go take an Impala off of the regular Full-size lot and be thrilled with it.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Next Monday at PHX, a four-day rental is pricing out at $788!

Fortunately, I made my reservation for $39/day a few weeks ago... I suspect it'll be like when I was there on 10/13, where the EA/ES was virtually empty (although the ES did have a convertable, which I couldn't use) and I had to go take an Impala off of the regular Full-size lot and be thrilled with it.
I had to go see that for myself.. lol.. $200/day. BUT.. I put in next Monday p/u, for 4 days, and for a full size, I get $43.95/day, for 4 days. ??

Ron.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.