Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at RDU

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Thumbs up Cars at RDU

Not sure if this is out there or not, but I thought I would report my recent experiences at RDU. My last two visits, I have found RDU to have a very generous EA.

Last two times I was through, I've had choices of SUVs, Minivans, Impalas, and the typical lot of Grand Ams and Chevy's. I grabbed the only G6 and was out the door in a jif.

Friendly staff, too. But I guess that's just the South for you!
milla22 likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Rdu

JP, agree. I was there last June and the EA and ExA had a great selection. The airport sucks, but National is great there!
Old Apr 7, 2005, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Good to know that there's still an EA and ES at a relatively small airport like RDU.

Many similar-sized airports have been reduced to counter service only.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Update: Selection was not so tight this week. Only two plain vanilla G6's on the Aisle when I arrived (i.e. no XM, sunroof, leather seats, etc.). The rest were Chevy Malibus and Malibu Maxx'es -- ick.

If I remember correctly, mostly Impalas on the Executive selection with a couple Buicks in the mix.
Old Apr 7, 2006, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
any recent reports of selections on Emerald Aisle and Emerald Reserve at RDU? trying to decide between avis and national...if selection at national isn't good, then i'll prob end going with avis. thanks in advance.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Originally Posted by haricharan
any recent reports of selections on Emerald Aisle and Emerald Reserve at RDU? trying to decide between avis and national...if selection at national isn't good, then i'll prob end going with avis. thanks in advance.
I rent 8 to 10 times per year out of RDU as a local, about half for business road trips and about half for personal weekenders. What I observe is that there has been a 180-degree change in the pattern of Aisle availability by day of the week. Before gas prices went up, mid-week the pickins would be slim, and on weekends the Aisle would be packed as if they were using it as storage space.

Now, at peak business-traveler times it is rare to see a fuel-efficient vehicle in the aisle and instead you see Blazers, Impalas, and the occasional mini-Jeep. On the weekends, the SUVs and minivans appear to all be at the beach.

However, for some reason this location is loaded with mid-size SUVs, so odds are pretty good that you can get something on the order of a Chevy TrailBlazer, Chevy Equinox or GMC equivalent.

Of note: I've had consistent luck asking nicely when what I wanted was not on the Aisle. The Executive Selection is adjacent to the Aisle, and so far they always have let me browse the whole area. On my most recent rental, I wanted to "test-drive" the mini Jeep and someone beat me to the only one on the Aisle. No problem, they said, take that one, pointing to one in Executive Selection. I think the thing is that if a vehicle is "qualified" to be in the Aisle, they have no way of knowing at the checkout booth whether the staff parked it in Aisle or Exec Selection.

Last edited by ZeppoX; Apr 8, 2006 at 2:00 pm
Old Jan 11, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
Updates???

Any updates on the EA and EXA Aisle at RDU. I just left Avis and was matched to Exec Elite - so I am wondering what to expect. I have never rented with National before, so any advice is appreciated. Every week for the next 4 months I will be renting at RDU.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K (woohoo), SPG Gold, HH Diamond, MR Silver, Avis Worst, National Exec Elite; Destinations Many
Picked up from the EE on Monday late afternoon. EE had 4 Suburbans, 2 Yukon's, an Expedition (or something similar), 3 Cherokee type cars and a few impalas. The guy at the checkout gate said they ran out of cars, so they brought out the big boys.
I am currently driving a 2009 Yukon with 2700 miles on it for the price of a midsize
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
ES mid-Thursday morning had Impalas, Chargers, Toyotas (didn't check), several mini-vans and a Saturn Outlook. I took the later.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
ES Friday night 11:30pm: tons of base Impalas, some Altimas, a Camry or two, and a couple of Kia SUVs. I took a Kia Sportage as we could use the fold-down room for golf clubs. It had 29k on it, and a mix of nice and annoying features.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:46 pm

Wirelessly posted (marty bb: BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Picked up this morning and the EE had 4 suburbans, an expedition, a sequoia, and 5 equinox, plus the usual "full size" cars. Took a leather equinox with 3K miles, but no Sat radio
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Hmbrglar
Wirelessly posted (marty bb: BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Picked up this morning and the EE had 4 suburbans, an expedition, a sequoia, and 5 equinox, plus the usual "full size" cars. Took a leather equinox with 3K miles, but no Sat radio
Were these the 2010 Equinoxes? Thanks for the update Hmbrglar, might be visiting RDU in the near future.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Were these the 2010 Equinoxes? Thanks for the update Hmbrglar, might be visiting RDU in the near future.
Yes these were the 2010 Equinox's. Pretty nice.ride overall. I will be back at RDU again next week and will post what I find.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:31 pm

I'm renting from RDU next weekend- any idea what they'll have on their Premium lot, if they even have a premium lot?

Last edited by drzoidberg; Oct 5, 2009 at 6:54 am
Old Oct 9, 2009, 7:43 pm

About 9 am Friday morning. The RDU location is a large open lot, accessible by a rental car shuttle bus from the main terminals.

EA: Chrysler Sebrings, various Kias

ES: Nissan Rogue, every possible color of Chevy Impala and Chevy Malibu, 2010 Chevy Equinox, Honda Accord, Dodge Chargers.

Premium: Toyota Avalon, 2009 Ford Taurus

SUV: Buick Enclave, various Yukons, etc..

And can you believe this? The office guy tried to "tempt" me with a Kia Amanti, claiming it was Premium. That's the most flagrant case of class creep.

Last edited by drzoidberg; Oct 12, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.