Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exchanging cars at an Emerald Aisle?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Exchanging cars at an Emerald Aisle?

I generally rent a car downtown and never get an upgrade, but it is convenient for me. Where I travel to, I drive right by the airport every single time. Is it possible for me to rent a car at the downtown location, and then stop at the airport and exchange the car for any car in the aisle? I am EE.

Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anything is possible, if you ask.

It is a manual transaction requiring paperwork and, depending on the airport, the entire mechanism for driving a vehicle off the lot may not work from EE unless the process is overridden.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I do this all the time and never have any issues.

The only situation that I can see this being refused is if the location branch is a franchise or licensee.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by kxc262
I do this all the time and never have any issues.

The only situation that I can see this being refused is if the location branch is a franchise or licensee.

I've never done it like this but I have done exchanges from the same airport all the time with no issue. If you're renting from both corporate locations in the same city or area I don't think there would be any issue giving they are willing to but YMMV.

Also just read the thread about the guy being charged $6,000 extra to see what could happen.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:55 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Often1
Anything is possible, if you ask.

It is a manual transaction requiring paperwork and, depending on the airport, the entire mechanism for driving a vehicle off the lot may not work from EE unless the process is overridden.
This.

Don't expect to just drop off the car in the return lane, stroll over to the ES, pick your new ride and head over to the exit gate. You'll have to wait in line and then depending on the mood of the rep (and the wait in said line), the experience will fall somewhere on the spectrum of "tolerable" to "why didn't I just keep the first car."

And as recent threads in this forum suggest, do check your contract to ensure the charges remain correct.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I never really have any issues with agents usually. Most are understanding especially when I ask to change a car to one with a backup camera (Impala base LT...).

Biggest issue I usually have is that the return agent understands I am swapping, but still close out the contract by accident.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
By way of update, I exchanged my car at the airport. Then, 3 days later, I received an invoice for returning the vehicle at Orlando, 2800 miles away, yet my invoice only said I had driven 200 miles. Very weird. Anyway, I returned the vehicle to my neighborhood location when my week was up, where I picked up the original car, and he sorted it out for me.

Afterwards, I was thinking. What if I never returned the vehicle I had. Not that I would do it, but according to National, I had already returned it.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:41 pm

Exchanged my car I got from MCO a Full size elite on a Luxury res at the premium price. I exchanged it at LGA ( also the return location) for a Nissan Maxima which is a premium car. Didn't really care that I got downgraded since I wanted a bigger car and Tbh the maxima at the SV trim is better than a base volvo s60 with one package. The only difference is the maxima doesn't have blind spot detection. The only price change was for the fuel service option since the gas was priced around $2.06 per gallon which i can't find in NYC or anywhere close to LGA.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:07 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Closingracer
Exchanged my car I got from MCO a Full size elite on a Luxury res at the premium price. I exchanged it at LGA ( also the return location) for a Nissan Maxima which is a premium car. Didn't really care that I got downgraded since I wanted a bigger car and Tbh the maxima at the SV trim is better than a base volvo s60 with one package. The only difference is the maxima doesn't have blind spot detection. The only price change was for the fuel service option since the gas was priced around $2.06 per gallon which i can't find in NYC or anywhere close to LGA.
This has no relevance to the original question asked, which was about renting from a non-aisle location and doing an exchange at an aisle location.

Please try and keep your posts on topic to avoid cluttering threads for other users. Thanks.

-dwbf11
National Mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.