Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at Alamo

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by sashi
Long time lurker here, might as well register here

Im currently executive with national about to become elite.

I have heard that if I don't like any of the premium selections in the execute aisle I can go to Alamo and walk the aisle and grab it

how does this work? Can I do this?

Thanks
Typically no. At some locations, the management for Enterprise, National, and Alamo are the same, and if there's nothing available in your reserved class at National, they might point you to the Alamo lot. As far as having only a midsize reserved and not liking what you see on the aisle, then going to Alamo to pick a car, that won't happen.

I've had situations where I've had a car reserved at National, but the counter was closed, and I was directed to the Enterprise counter, and the car I received was parked in an Enterprise space. I've also had a situation at MCO where I arrived early on a redeye before the Enterprise counter was open, and was directed to the Alamo counter and the Alamo lot.

In both situations, the paperwork/rental agreement was with the original company I reserved with, but I was handled by one of their sister companies.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
Typically no. At some locations, the management for Enterprise, National, and Alamo are the same, and if there's nothing available in your reserved class at National, they might point you to the Alamo lot. As far as having only a midsize reserved and not liking what you see on the aisle, then going to Alamo to pick a car, that won't happen.

I've had situations where I've had a car reserved at National, but the counter was closed, and I was directed to the Enterprise counter, and the car I received was parked in an Enterprise space. I've also had a situation at MCO where I arrived early on a redeye before the Enterprise counter was open, and was directed to the Alamo counter and the Alamo lot.

In both situations, the paperwork/rental agreement was with the original company I reserved with, but I was handled by one of their sister companies.
Ah okay. Well usually I reserve a premium with national and sometimes at YVR the premium cars selection isn't that great.
I usually ask nicely for a better car and the lot guys are usually nice and will get me a 320i or A4 but sometimes I get the lazy ones and refuse to look and direct me to a 300S(which I've driven a million times already) or a maxima (which again I've driven so many times already)
Old May 9, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123

YMMV but I've never had any issue taking a car that was under the Alamo signage given it was a full size car, premium or a suv that was smaller than a Tahoe. I also asked before doing so though.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by sashi
Ah okay. Well usually I reserve a premium with national and sometimes at YVR the premium cars selection isn't that great...but sometimes I get the lazy ones and refuse to look and direct me to a 300S(which I've driven a million times already) or a maxima (which again I've driven so many times already)

Those are premium car choices however. While you are free to ask, the staff are not obligated to look for anything in a higher category for you. That in no way, shape or form makes them lazy; simply because they didn't pander to your desires.

If you are tired of driving Maxima's or 300's, book a luxury or higher car.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:09 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by Yellowjj

Those are premium car choices however. While you are free to ask, the staff are not obligated to look for anything in a higher category for you. That in no way, shape or form makes them lazy; simply because they didn't pander to your desires.

If you are tired of driving Maxima's or 300's, book a luxury or higher car.
This is exactly right. You're entitled to receive the class booked. Good for you @sashi that you've had over a million rentals, by the way - you must be National's top VIP member!

You can't just take from any agency's stockpile, without asking, even if there is a shared fleet (which is what you asked in post 14). And to call lot staff "lazy" for not breaking the rules really smacks of entitlement in a bad way.

@sashi, welcome to Flyertalk and thanks for registering, but please tone down the negativity in your posts.

Last edited by dwbf11; May 9, 2017 at 1:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.