Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Frustrations: Multiple keys with no way of separation

Frustrations: Multiple keys with no way of separation

Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Assuming we're talking about this:

there's no need for wire cutters.

Hold one key in your left hand. Hold another key in your right hand, and start twisting. Keep going and the wire will break. Works every time.
Every rental I have ever received is with a crimped connector, not a twist/screw type like the photo you are referencing.

I also hate having a large pile of keys, but I mostly deal with it. Still annoying though....
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I received some keys this morning with a crimped connector (the cable itself was similar to the previously posted photo, but there was an additional layer of plastic outside of the cable). Luckily I am renting in my home town, so I stopped by at my place, found my toolbox, and my wire-cutters took care of the problem Hopefully there will be no problems returning this evening
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Every rental I have ever received is with a crimped connector, not a twist/screw type like the photo you are referencing.

I also hate having a large pile of keys, but I mostly deal with it. Still annoying though....
I think the worst set of keys I've had so far were for a recent rental with a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Two key fobs with the emergency key removed from each, but all attached. I felt like a janitor shoving a wad of keys in my pocket.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
I think the worst set of keys I've had so far were for a recent rental with a Ford Fusion Hybrid. Two key fobs with the emergency key removed from each, but all attached. I felt like a janitor shoving a wad of keys in my pocket.
Yes, I've seen that too.

I guess it is in response to stop people from stealing (loosing) the fob by (accidentally) separating the key out.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Slightly off topic but I recently rented a Ford Edge with a Lincoln key. It was also only 1 key rather than the 2 keys on the ring like my past rentals. My other rental was a 2017 Lacrosse that also came with only 1 key. Both these rentals came from MIA.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
Slightly off topic but I recently rented a Ford Edge with a Lincoln key. It was also only 1 key rather than the 2 keys on the ring like my past rentals. My other rental was a 2017 Lacrosse that also came with only 1 key. Both these rentals came from MIA.
How is that even possible.
Was is just the logo cover that got switched, or was it a Lincoln key.
I find it hard to believe that MIA managed to find a fob that works with 2 cars and both cars present at the same time, same location, same company.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Jstarion
I agree I hate this and I cut the wire all the time. Nobody has ever said a word.
Yup, this is exactly what I do. I cut the wire every time.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:09 am

Keep these in your bag/purse

Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Most cars have push button start now, so the keys can just go in your bag/purse. Try this.

Also, if you want a key in your pocket, release the valet key and you now have the fob to put in your pocket. Give the valet key with the other complete key to your secondary driver. Easy peazy and done.
That doesn't even work most times, just picked this up at MCO, I see this more and more:

Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
How is that even possible.
Was is just the logo cover that got switched, or was it a Lincoln key.
I find it hard to believe that MIA managed to find a fob that works with 2 cars and both cars present at the same time, same location, same company.
Now that I think about it, I believe you are correct in stating that the logo cover/battery cover was switched.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by kxc262
Now that I think about it, I believe you are correct in stating that the logo cover/battery cover was switched.
I think this would be a great prank for non aisle cars.

Sir, you have been upgraded. Here is your key.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz President ś Circle , AF- KLM Flying Blue, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Jstarion
I cut the wire all the time. Nobody has ever said a word.
No frustrations nor irritation ; just cut the wire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.