Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Handling Car?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by strickerj
Well, since others here are suggesting premium and luxury cars rather than just the typical aisle choices, I'll suggest the Cadillac ATS. I haven't driven one, but its ride and handling balance has been universally praised by the automotive media (much the way the BMW 3 series used to be), and I also own a 6th-gen Camaro which uses the same platform.

Also, a Camaro coupe would be a good choice, but I think that's been mentioned already.

The ATS is OK.... Based off what I've read here the Q50 is on the aisle in some places along with the X3 and etc
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
The ATS should be good too, and it should provide much better visibility than the Camaro. I just hated the very low seating position and very high windows and dash.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by Putnik
I've done part of Angeles Crest Highway on Wednesday after work. I've done 74 from the 5 all the way to Desert Springs, I've also done 243 back in January in a Camaro and 300C. Last weekend, I did CA39, Glendora and Mount Baldy road in a Chrysler 300C. I've done Mullholland too in a Camaro. Turnbull Canyon Whittier is also fun, if a bit short.
Thanks for the suggestions for some other roads to drive. I did the 74 from 5 to Desert Springs last weekend in a Hertz Stingray Corvette convertible. I didn't realize National LAX has them in the fleet again or would have rented from them instead.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
I picked up Audi Q3 at LAX yesterday. It's still based on the old Golf V platform, with the 2.0 turbo 4 and 400hp. It was kinda fun to drive too with a slightly higher seating position.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:05 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you have two Q3's tied together, you're not piloting a 400hp vehicle The 2.0T is a pretty anemic engine, I think it only makes about 200 at the crank and with 200 lb/ft of torque, it's not winning many drag races either.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dwbf11
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you have two Q3's tied together, you're not piloting a 400hp vehicle The 2.0T is a pretty anemic engine, I think it only makes about 200 at the crank and with 200 lb/ft of torque, it's not winning many drag races either.
Yeah, the Q3 has a fairly old engine that's 52hp down on the 2L Turbo I4 in the 2017 Audi A4.

My personal order of best handling cars (just based on feel) that I've had from National:
MX-5 Miata (on summer tires)
Cadillac ATS
VW GTI
Audi A4
Cadillac CTS
BMW 328i
Nissan 370Z
BMW 528i
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by xienon
Yeah, the Q3 has a fairly old engine that's 52hp down on the 2L Turbo I4 in the 2017 Audi A4.

My personal order of best handling cars (just based on feel) that I've had from National:
Cadillac ATS
VW GTI
Audi A4
Cadillac CTS
BMW 328i
Nissan 370Z
BMW 528i

Eh I would put the 328i and 528i over any American car and Japanese.

From that list IMHO

328i
528i
GTI
370z
ATS
CTS
A4
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Yeah, that was a typo. You are correct it only has 200hp. I am assuming that this one was filled with regular gas, and not premium as recommended, before it was returned, so it feels even slower now.

Originally Posted by xienon

Cadillac ATS
VW GTI
Audi A4
Cadillac CTS
BMW 328i
Nissan 370Z
BMW 528i
I have not seen any of those cars at LAX, OAK, MEM or ONT. Except the 328i which I have seen at LAX. Again, I am talking about EE aisle.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Putnik
I have not seen any of those cars at LAX, OAK, MEM or ONT. Except the 328i which I have seen at LAX. Again, I am talking about EE aisle.
None of those cars were on the Aisle when I got them, they were in the Luxury area at EWR.

I would say the best handling cars you can often find on the Aisle are probably the Mustang, Camaro, Q50 (hard to find), S60, and Regal.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I think I have driven > 75% of the National fleet of "sporty" cars. I would rank them in this order:

1. 2016 Stingray - hands down the best. The C7 Corvettes are so much better than prior generations.

2. Mustang GT. Surprisingly comfortable and nicely equipped. The convertible is remarkably shake free in the cowl.

3. Surprise - 2017 Cadillac ATS - extremely well done chassis tuning. Comfy when cruising.

4. Nissan 370Z - had 4 of them. The downside is they are base models and not many options. Decent highway ride.

Remember outside of the canyon runs, LA area roads are crap. I remember getting a Camaro RS convertible and regretting getting pounded on the Santa Monica freeway.

The best ever canyon run car? A Cayman from Hertz, before I switched to National. Amazing balance and braking.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Last week I a Camaro SS and it handled Rt 74, 243 and 38. The only problem, again, is poor visibility out of the car. Biggest problem being not knowing where edges of the car are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.