Wiki Posts
Search

Need expert advise on redeeming free days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Need expert advise on redeeming free days

OK experts, I am EE. I will usually book "Full Size" as there are often the larger vehicles I want like SUV's and trucks are stashed in the full size row and it ends up being the same price at checkout as selecting midsize with Executive Aisle access...plus still get aisle access if pickins are slim and I don't have to try and talk the agent into giving up the keys to a larger vehicle.

Now...going on a trip for the Holidays and wanna redeem my 3 remaining free days for a 4 day trip. When I book the reservation normally, I have the fullsize and mid size option. When I book the reservation applying my three free days, the full size option disappears. Only mid size then premium.

What gives? Am I approaching this wrong.

Can I make a full size reservation then call in to have them apply my free days? This trip I actually need a vehicle with space.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:22 pm

As EE, can't you book premium and get charged the fullsize rate? Just make note of the fullsize price without using free days, then make your reservation with the free days applied. The 4th (paid) day should match the price of what the fullsize was in the previous step.

When you get to the lot, look at the Exec. aisle, if you see something you like then ask the gate agent to change the rate back to midsize when you leave (which is what you normally get charged booking full).

If you need a vehicle with space, such as an SUV, I don't see you having any problem asking for a Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban, maybe even something above that on a premium reservation.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Yeah...but I was trying to book the full size rate at mid size price.

Found another thread on PCAR limitations on free days and sure enough, I was able to do what I wanted on the mobile app, but not on the website for some reason.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 4:24 pm
formerly memoses

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Something or another, HH Blue :), National EE, Sixt Plat
I'm not sure in other markets, but in NYC and Illinois, the inability to reserve a full-size or higher car when you apply a free day on the website has become the norm in my experience. And correct, as Elite Executive, you should be able to reserve any car.

I find that whoever is running the inventory in various markets has a new ability to limit coupons, free days, and corporate availability. It's becoming frustrating.

With that said, the work around as an EE is to reserve whatever car you want without clicking the free days, and just call into customer support either before or after the reservation and they will usually apply the free day with no hesitation.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:14 pm

Am getting the message NYC locations really don't like free days. Have mentioned once already a few persons at National in NYC have mentioned they play havoc with their inventory. Exactly how or why I don't know or understand.

It has only been rather recently that National allowed EC free days to be redeemed for Manhattan rentals, and coupons are still not accepted. Am really hoping they don't revert to their previous policy.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:47 pm

It's easy to see why. High prices, such as in NYC, are intended to control demand, extract high value customers for scarce inventory, and discourage behavior, such as waiting until the last minute, or long distance one-way roadtrips that run up mileage and result in cars potentially short in busy markets but a glut where they're not needed. If you redeem a free day, you bypass the high price disincentives for all of the above, especially if it's on short notice.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Am getting the message NYC locations really don't like free days. Have mentioned once already a few persons at National in NYC have mentioned they play havoc with their inventory. Exactly how or why I don't know or understand.

It has only been rather recently that National allowed EC free days to be redeemed for Manhattan rentals, and coupons are still not accepted. Am really hoping they don't revert to their previous policy.
Hmm, I had no issue using free days in Manhattan, for one-way. I think I used a One Two Free; not sure if that is what you are calling a coupon.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Hmm, I had no issue using free days in Manhattan, for one-way. I think I used a One Two Free; not sure if that is what you are calling a coupon.
EC "free days" are the ones deposited into your account as rewards for frequent rental.

Coupons are anything from OTF, issued by EC customer service, to the various promotions and special offers. None of these are accepted at Manhattan, NYC locations. The airports (JFK, LGA, Newark) yes, but not inside the City.

If you did manage to rent and or have a OTF coupon applied to a rental from Manhattan, NYC please let me know how; as have tried numerous times and been shot down.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos

The only place that allowed me to use those is Brooklyn. I end up using mine at JFK or LGA
Old Jan 2, 2017, 8:36 pm

Just as a side note, I wanted to say how much I love regular free days as an EE. Just finished a one way SUV rental for 4 days, and the receipt has a $2,000 discount, since this particular station charges max daily rate for one ways, and I couldn't use my contract since one way SUV rentals are charged mileage and I needed to guarantee one.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
Just as a side note, I wanted to say how much I love regular free days as an EE. Just finished a one way SUV rental for 4 days, and the receipt has a $2,000 discount, since this particular station charges max daily rate for one ways, and I couldn't use my contract since one way SUV rentals are charged mileage and I needed to guarantee one.

Quite honestly find regular EE days of more value and "fun" than those from OTF. No hassles in redeeming, no wondering if this or that place is a "participating location".
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:09 am

Quite honestly find regular EE days of more value and "fun" than those from OTF. No hassles in redeeming, no wondering if this or that place is a "participating location".

Since I usually rent from LGA I don't have to worry about that and Tbh I'm fine with the aisle choices most of the time....Nothing outright terrible on it.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:12 am

Well yeah, as an EE you can rent anything up to a luxury with the regular EE free day coupon. My last EE free rental coupon was used on a BMW. The OTF is limited to a mid size (or full size when you upgrade). Or were you talking about Manhattan specifically?
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Twixboy
Well yeah, as an EE you can rent anything up to a luxury with the regular EE free day coupon. My last EE free rental coupon was used on a BMW. The OTF is limited to a mid size (or full size when you upgrade). Or were you talking about Manhattan specifically?

Coupons in general versus EC free reward days IMHO are far less flexible, and not just in Manhattan, NYC. Some are only accepted at "participating" locations only. Others are for multiple days that National either cannot or will not allow splitting into smaller segments.

Case in point have a few coupons issued by National to address various hiccups in past. Thought they were giving me EC free days into my account, but no; these are good for three or four days.

Now while they are "free" so far have not been able to book anything less than what the coupon requires. That is cannot book two days and use a three day coupon. Nor can get a National customer service or counter rep to apply say two of the three and leave the balance. So just ended up using normal EC free days instead.

Happily the coupons have a long time before expiration, so will wait until need a rental for a period that matches or is longer.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Since I usually rent from LGA I don't have to worry about that and Tbh I'm fine with the aisle choices most of the time....Nothing outright terrible on it.
You and I keep going back and forth over LGA.

This time of year rentals out of Manhattan for all Enterprise companies are much cheaper than at airports due to it being low demand season. So while it in theory does not make a difference when using "free" days (coupons or EC reward), it seems rather a waste IMHO to go all the way out to LGA to use a coupon for a rental that is around $100/day, when can have a vehicle in town for about half that amount.

More so since one tends to take a taxi out to LGA and drive back into Manhattan over the TB. Yes, I know can take the BQE or other routes down to one of the free East River crossings to get back into Manhattan, but that is really a round about way since live uptown and the TB pretty much gets me home in <20 minutes (depending upon traffic).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.