Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Is National's Twitter rep always this useless? Boilerplate response to serious issue.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is National's Twitter rep always this useless? Boilerplate response to serious issue.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, social media is the worst way to reach many companies. While there are some companies which use it as a channel to appeal to a younger demographic, National is not one of them. All that you've got is a low-level clerical who has a selection of canned responses.

Second, if this really was a serious problem, call the police. But, it wasn't. You don't need a paper "contract" and most locations haven't issued them in years. There are documents in the vehicle which direct law enforcement to call for verification. There are tens of thousands of rental vehicles on the road every day and this is simply not an issue.

Third, if you do have a customer service issue, either call (and set your mind at ease by having customer service email you your contract) or use the website customer service portal (which won't solve your immediate concern).
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
First, social media is the worst way to reach many companies. While there are some companies which use it as a channel to appeal to a younger demographic, National is not one of them. All that you've got is a low-level clerical who has a selection of canned responses.

Second, if this really was a serious problem, call the police. But, it wasn't. You don't need a paper "contract" and most locations haven't issued them in years. There are documents in the vehicle which direct law enforcement to call for verification. There are tens of thousands of rental vehicles on the road every day and this is simply not an issue.

Third, if you do have a customer service issue, either call (and set your mind at ease by having customer service email you your contract) or use the website customer service portal (which won't solve your immediate concern).
First, you're right. I have had the most amazing service from Twitter reps for some travel outfits (like Hyatt). On the other hand, I have looked up more thn one hotel's Twitter profile and see that they last posted five years ago.

Second, the last time I rented from National (as I said, several years ago) I received a paper contract. That's obviously changed from the comments above. I still find that worrisome and concerning. Others may not

Third, you're probably right, but, late at night the last thing I want to try to do is talked to an overseas outsourced (I don't know whether National's are or not, but it's an exercise in agony with some companies that are) rep and try to explain my issue.

If any of the THREE SEA employees had explained the situation to me as some of you good people have, that would have been helpful.

It also looks like I'm not the only one with the concern about not having a contract in-hand; it also sounds like Hertz may be going to the system that National uses http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27261987-post8.html
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by qs933
It's been awhile since I rented from a true Emerald Aisle location (my main location is an Emerald Booth), but I don't recall getting a printed contract; just the Emerald Club hang-tag inside the car that mentioned that the car was rented under a master rental agreement.
That's been my experience 99% of the time. I have one printed contract out of all my rentals.

Originally Posted by dwbf11

Also, you aren't required to be driving around showing proof of entitlement to be driving the car. What you're obligated to have is the registration, which should be in the glove box.
This.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:57 am

You can normally ask for a printed copy at the exit booth with Aisle reservations. They have always given me one when I asked.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:19 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Thanks for that info. That's exactly what I wanted, but since the "computer is always down on Sunday nights" (can that really be true?) National really should have some simple alternative to a computer generated/printed contract.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:35 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thanks for that info. That's exactly what I wanted, but since the "computer is always down on Sunday nights" (can that really be true?) National really should have some simple alternative to a computer generated/printed contract.
Why do you need it though? The only scenario that I can see need a contract is if you plan to cross into Canada as sometimes they ask to see the agreement.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I had a similar issue when I was due to return my National car on a Sunday night before flying out. I decided to extend my trip a couple of days and called the location to extend the rental. The rep said it was no problem but she couldn't actually change it for me as their computers were down on Sunday nights but she would enter it in the next day. As you can imagine, I was definitely worried as there was nothing to show that I hadn't just kept the car without approval but I rolled with it, got her name and, sure enough, no problem when I returned it. I think I actually posted about it on here at the time. But yes, the Sunday night outages are a bit of an inconvenience when you need something on a Sunday evening.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Why do you need it though? The only scenario that I can see need a contract is if you plan to cross into Canada as sometimes they ask to see the agreement.
I guess I am just more worry-wart-y than some. I just would not want to necessarily trust that a random police officer in North Polyp, Washington, or wherever, would believe me that National issues no contracts, or would take the time to have me or him/her call National, etc. Far far more reassuring for me to have a contract I can hand him or her.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:54 am

I was stopped once in a highway in Indiana with a National car. The patrolman was slightly annoyed that I didn't have a contract with me, but no problem (I showed him the app). For crossing into Canada (and back) it is probably better to have the printed agreement, though.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:48 am

I wonder what National could have done. With the computers down, there was no agreement to print. They could have written something on a piece of paper, but I police officer might have found that just as suspicious as having nothing. And, of course, the App wouldn't show the car being rented to you because until they input your rental into the computer system, it doesn't know that you've rented the car.

This "computer down" thing happened to me once in TPA renting from Alamo. I just took the car and didn't worry about it.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zachary
I wonder what National could have done.
If this is a routine occurence, it would be easy enough to have a boilerplate stash of authorization letters on National letterhead at the exit onto which the agent could fill in the contract number, dates of possesion, and renter's name -- with numbers to call if police or other authorities wanted to verify.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:27 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
I'm asked more often than not for the actual rental agreement when I've needed to drive onto military bases. I don't think it's technically required, but it does make life easier.

Just to add a data point.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
If this is a routine occurence, it would be easy enough to have a boilerplate stash of authorization letters on National letterhead at the exit onto which the agent could fill in the contract number, dates of possesion, and renter's name -- with numbers to call if police or other authorities wanted to verify.
I think you are needlessly worrying. I am sure the rental car companies know what they are doing, and with many of them going paper-contractless, corporate would have verified with the necessary agencies that this is ok.

When you get pulled over the registration of the car will let the officer know it is a rental. Unless the rental company reported the vehicle stolen, I wouldn't expect an issue.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: 1MM UA
I always go to the counter and they try to send me to the aisle and I always politely refuse. (I wouldn't use National but it was my company's preferred rental agency.) The reason is that on four of my last six rentals, the rate that they have in the system differed from the rate on my confirmed reservation, and it is better to straighten this out when I don't have a plane to catch upon return.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:16 am
Original Poster

To add to the festivities with this rental, I just discovered that National charged my credit card $576 (!) instead of the receipt's $19.96 (used three free-day electronic certs).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.