Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

No benefit to booking premium car when there is emerald club aisle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.

I am Executive Elite. The past two times i rented at LGA I was told that even with a premium reservation I could only pick a car from the emerald club aisle - I could not pick a Cadillac, or a Volvo, or any of those types of cars because those are "luxury cars".

Admittedly they had an Impala (the premium one) and such on the aisle - but what is the point of paying premium v. midsize rate if you can only pick what's on the aisle? I would think they would make a more luxurious car available.

Am I crazy????

Having learned my lesson the first time, I went in with two reservations today - one mid-size and one premium and ended up renting with the midsize one - since they both got the same thing...
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:12 am

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I am Executive Elite. The past two times i rented at LGA I was told that even with a premium reservation I could only pick a car from the emerald club aisle - I could not pick a Cadillac, or a Volvo, or any of those types of cars because those are "luxury cars".

Admittedly they had an Impala (the premium one) and such on the aisle - but what is the point of paying premium v. midsize rate if you can only pick what's on the aisle? I would think they would make a more luxurious car available.

Am I crazy????

Having learned my lesson the first time, I went in with two reservations today - one mid-size and one premium and ended up renting with the midsize one - since they both got the same thing...
With PCAR reservation you often pay a lower upgrade fee if you want a luxury car. In airports and locations with Emerald Aisle there isn't much difference between PCAR and mid-size reservations.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Silver, National EE, Hertz PC
At the locations I frequent DFW, LAX, SFO and TPA a premium res often lands you in a luxury car (If they tried that pick from the isle BS on me I would call customer service and complain) and on our company contract full size and midsize are only like $1 or 2 difference so I always book premium and pay full.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:37 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
When I book a PCAR at HNL, it usually gives me more PCAR options beyond what happens to be in ES/EA. If I book the aisle (FCAR), it's possible that the only PCAR there is an Accord or Legacy (and that has happened before) -- or none at all.

While I wouldn't agree with being restricted to the aisle with a PCAR reservation, I also wouldn't expect them to offer me an LCAR or anything above. A PCAR reservation isn't carte blanche to anything on the lot.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr

Am I crazy????

The thing is with LGA is there really isn't any dedicated PCAR area and most of the PCAR's they have on the lot like the Nissan Maxima's , Chevy Impala ( All are PCAR's at LGA and JFK that i have rented), Buick's, Volvo ( They were on the Aisle) , Kia cadenza's and etc are always in the aisle anyways. That is what I have noticed at least.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:26 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Wow...Perfect recent thread to hijack with my own question!

As an Exec, I have a PCAR reservation at OGG (Maui) in a few weeks. It's my first time not booking the aisle (anywhere!)--every single res I've ever had with National has been an Mid or Full, ES selection.

Last year, my Aisle reservation netted us a Cadillac crossover that I was very, very, very happy with for 9 days. Hoping for similar this year.

If I don't like the PCAR options nor am I offered an upgrade to Luxury (either comp or paid--I'd probably throw an extra $100/week at my current $210/week) can I at least explore the Aisle or Executive selection?

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Sep 8, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Old Sep 8, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Wow...Perfect recent thread to hijack with my own question!

As an Exec, I have a PCAR reservation at OGG (Maui) in a few weeks. It's my first time not booking the aisle (anywhere!)--every single res I've ever had with National has been an Mid or Full, ES selection.

Last year, my Aisle reservation netted us a Cadillac crossover that I was very, very, very happy with for 9 days. Hoping for similar this year.

If I don't like the PCAR options nor am I offered an upgrade to Luxury (either comp or paid--I'd probably throw an extra $100/week at my current $210/week) can I at least explore the Aisle or Executive selection?
Huh? I thought you just said it doesn't have one?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Closingracer
I think he's saying that this is the first time he's booked something other than an reservation that just provides aisle access (i.e. a PCAR reservation, not a midsize reservation).

A PCAR reservation entitles you to aisle access, in practice. I've never seen or heard of a case where they didn't let someone with a PCAR reservation just take something from the aisle if they preferred.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:13 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Closingracer
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I think he's saying that this is the first time he's booked something other than an reservation that just provides aisle access (i.e. a PCAR reservation, not a midsize reservation).

A PCAR reservation entitles you to aisle access, in practice. I've never seen or heard of a case where they didn't let someone with a PCAR reservation just take something from the aisle if they preferred.
Yes, the first time I've booked something other than a standard Exec Selection (midside/full size).

Thanks for letting me know that I have the Exec or AI to fall back on. It was $10 more for the whole 8 days--so went with it!
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
A few things...

1.) LGA is a scourge on the National system... minimal ability to fill reservations outside of the aisle, so cramped for storage they have trouble accessing particular cards, and usually require you go into the desk (or stand in line just to get into the desk area) for anything other than an aisle res.

2.) If you reserve PCAR and take from the aisle, most stations will adjust the rate to ICAR if you ask, no need for multiple reservations. That said, for many Exec & Elite with corp rates, the difference is so small it's often not worth asking.

3.) Sometimes there may be PCARs on the aisle but better PCAR options available for reservations (Impala and/or Avalon on the aisle, 300C or Lacross for PCAR res)

4.) Lastly, and most importantly, this points out how the advertised Emerald Reserve service is almost NEVER properly implemented outside of a few stations (mostly just LAX and LAS, sometimes PHX if they have enough cars in... SEA used to but stopped). On a PCAR, LCAR, or specific SUV class res you should be able to walk to that class's signed section, pick a car, and go just like an aisle reservation. I've nearly given up complaining about this never being the case, but it seems most stations use these sections for bulk storage, dirty storage, maintenance/recall storage, or just don't bother stocking them. This is my biggest pet peeve with National as a whole... they continue to advertise almost every PCAR and higher res as being eligible for Emerald Reserve selection, but it is NEVER actually implemented by the stations.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Sep 10, 2016 at 11:45 am
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:04 pm

Well, once rented a PCAR at SFO, as above, there was no premium section at all. The aisle technically exists bit it's just random storage of cars.

I was simply redirected to the ES selection. I asked for a luxury upgrade and the attendant took a look and informed me that stock was low and he wasn't able to do anything. I argued a little more because the as I was talking, someone took off with the one Chrysler 300 on the aisle that would technically be a PCAR. He then asked me if I wanted another 300, Taurus or Avalon pulled up but then was like "mmm hold on" and walked around the corner with a box of keys. He came back and sent me off with a Volvo S60.

So while it's possible to get a GXCAR/LCAR, it probably depends on the attendant, aisle selection and how much you want to push it. At the end of the day, the funny thing is that I came back later and swapped the Volvo out for a 300C. The Volvo was a base base model and I ended up being unhappy with it, I'm sorry Mr. National attendant.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
A few things...

1.) LGA is a scourge on the National system... minimal ability to fill reservations outside of the aisle, so cramped for storage they have trouble accessing particular cards, and usually require you go into the desk (or stand in line just to get into the desk area) for anything other than an aisle res.

2.) If you reserve PCAR and take from the aisle, most stations will adjust the rate to ICAR if you ask, no need for multiple reservations. That said, for many Exec & Elite with corp rates, the difference is so small it's often not worth asking.

3.) Sometimes there may be PCARs on the aisle but better PCAR options available for reservations (Impala and/or Avalon on the aisle, 300C or Lacross for PCAR res)

4.) Lastly, and most importantly, this points out how the advertised Emerald Reserve service is almost NEVER properly implemented outside of a few stations (mostly just LAX and LAS, sometimes PHX if they have enough cars in... SEA used to but stopped). On a PCAR, LCAR, or specific SUV class res you should be able to walk to that class's signed section, pick a car, and go just like an aisle reservation. I've nearly given up complaining about this never being the case, but it seems most stations use these sections for bulk storage, dirty storage, maintenance/recall storage, or just don't bother stocking them. This is my biggest pet peeve with National as a whole... they continue to advertise almost every PCAR and higher res as being eligible for Emerald Reserve selection, but it is NEVER actually implemented by the stations.

I think NYC as a whole lack PCAR's lol. I have found a few of them on the aisle sometimes and the one time I book a PCAR at a garage location they had none and I had to wait a few hours to get a PCAR. They have typically upgraded me in the past and probably could of asked but I was going to rent the car for a month (Gas) so i figured I would want a car instead of a SUV that they usually offer me even though I could of asked for the Grand Cherokee that they had parked inside lol.

I think I have already paid $70 in gas for the Maxima and its only been a week lol.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 5:48 pm

There have been cases where there were absolutely no sedans in the EA/ES and a few parked off to the side Chrysler 300s are only available for PCAR reservations. Once, the only sedans that were available were an Audi A4 and a Genesis. The staff told me that they could approve a free upgrade if I at least made a PCAR reservation. In the end, I got the Genesis and my PCAR booking was charged by National at the FCAR rate because of the free one-class EE benefit!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:42 pm

It all depends on the location. Some locations have not much in terms of selection in Executive Aisle. For example, SJC will have plenty of SUVs (including Yukon XL), whereas SFO has nothing.

So if you look on the thread and find that the place you are renting from has a good EE, just book a cheap mid-size!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Did the program change this month? I'm an EE, and my app no lower shows midsize having access to the exec aisle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.