Cars at SEA

Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:33 am

Re: Emerald Aisle

When I rented last month, I looked at Executive Section and I sawVolvo S40 / S60 - also saw Toyota Avalon / Camry - Nissan Maxima / Altima - Also Pontiac convertible

pretty nice selections that I saw. I'll take notes down when I pick up a rental tomorrow Friday 7/18/08
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Gold, National Executive
Praying for a decent selection!

I'm flying in later today. Hopefully the selection won't be as dismal as others have reported. Will let you all know!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Gold, National Executive
Not a great selection, to be honest, in either the EA or Exec. I ended up with an Impala because it was the only one that wasn't an SUV or a PT Cruiser (not fond of them). I needed something with a decent sized trunk because of the amount of luggage I had, and all the other mid-sizes in the EA weren't going to handle that much stuff. Kind of disappointed, actually. That, and refilling the Impala at $4.30/gallon...UGH!
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:47 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived on a Friday morning about 9:30. The EA was empty with cars only in ES. Apparently, when this is the case, the cars on the LEFT of the ES are EA.

The left side of the ES were PT Cruisers, Chevy HHR, stock Impala and Malibu, a Suzuki sedan, and a Highlander with CA plates.

The ES had a Toyota Avalon, Chevy Equinox, Impala LTZ, Volvo S60, Jeeps, and other sedans.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 12, 2009 at 6:14 pm
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL FO, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, ICH Plat, National EC
Question SEA - Executive Selection

Howdy,

New to the FT forums and was wondering if anyone knew what type of vehicle to look for in this subject area that might be AWD/4 wheel drive? I've driven Ford's most of my life and wouldn't know what to look for on a GM made vehicle to determine if it's AWD or not. I don't want to spend all day analyzing every vehicle and I've somewhat gathered from the other threads that the SEA folks are not very helpful.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what to look for so I can reduce the amount of time looking since I'm traveling with my wife and 3yo daughter. We're renting for 2 weeks starting this Saturday the 20th and will be traveling up on the Sammamish plateau (and surrounding mountains) most of the time. Hence the preference for AWD. It's already hovering in the teens and more snow to come!

Any and all help would be most appreciated! If I can narrow it down to certain models to focus on, that would be a great start!

Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
First of all welcome to FlyerTalk. Are you looking for an SUV particularly? If so you should be able to find something that's 4WD/AWD easily. I know in the intermediate SUV category National carries the Equinox and Torrent.

As far as cars it's hard to say. GM doesn't make a whole lot with AWD, not like Ford and Chrysler with the Fusion and Sebring respectively. That said, National is moving towards base models so it's unlikely that they would get the AWD version of a car that doesn't come with it.

You also say you're a Ford person, you might have some luck grabbing one of those. I know that National has a lot of Ford Escapes in general. I've had them twice before and they're a great capable little vehicle. Let us know what you're looking for and we'll try to help!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
GM doesn't make a whole lot with AWD, not like Ford and Chrysler with the Fusion and Sebring respectively.
The Chrysler Sebring is not available with AWD.

The Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox, and Pontiac Torrent base models are all front wheel drive, so getting one of these does not guarantee AWD.

Last edited by CarNut; Dec 16, 2008 at 7:25 pm
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by CarNut
The Chrysler Sebring is not available with AWD.

The Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox, and Pontiac Torrent base models are all front wheel drive, so getting one of these does not guarantee AWD.
My bad. AWD was available on the Sebring Limited in 2008 but I just read it's been dropped for '09.

IME at least the Escape has always been equipped with 4WD. I've rented three this past year, all of which had it. The first one I got was an XLT with leather and working Sirius. ^

I'm pretty sure since most people expect any vehicle categorized as an SUV to have 4WD that's what they keep. With the Escape it's easy to see as it'll say "4WD" on the back.. Not sure about the Equinox/Torrent though.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 8:50 am
s3n

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, National EE
You should also keep an eye out for the new-ish all-wheel drive Taurus X.
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/taurusx/2009/review.html
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by s3n
You should also keep an eye out for the new-ish all-wheel drive Taurus X.
http://www.edmunds.com/ford/taurusx/2009/review.html
There's the Dodge Journey as well. The one I rented at YYZ was only FWD. Same might go for the Taurus X's...
Old Dec 17, 2008, 3:21 pm

The Equinox/Torrent will have AWD on the tailgate.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 4:48 pm

I recommend the Saturn Outlook AWD - there were ~4 of them when i rented from SEA last month. Its a bit of a gas hog but was a great ride in rainy / foggy weather & w/ 3rd row seats has room for 6+ (don't recommend more than 5 if adults)...
Old Dec 18, 2008, 5:50 pm

Thanks everyone for your input! I'm a multiple SUV owner, so I'll try to keep an eye out for the recommendations. Wouldn't mind trying the Outlook...with AWD I should NOT have a problem getting up to Snoqaulmie pass as they're requiring chains or AWD right now.

On another note, do you know if chains are allowed on National's rentals or is this a big no-no?

Thanks again!

Last edited by NVGuy36; Dec 18, 2008 at 6:24 pm Reason: NOT is better in this situation
Old Dec 31, 2008, 2:01 pm

Well....

The Exec selection totally SUCKED!! We arrived in the middle of a snow storm and saw nothing but dirty cars in both EA & ES!! I was told that the car wash was broken . I mean, some of the cars had built-up snow on the roofs and every single one was covered in road grime from the sand/salt that was on the roads.

I roamed up both aisles only to find a ton of Impala's and other average mid-size & full size cars. To be fair, they did have 2 Buick premium sedans there but my interest was in something that would do well in the snow. After spending 30-45 min trying to get someone to help, I ended up settling for an Impala LT with 7500 miles. I figured the lower mileage would yield better tires which (theoretically at least) should yield better traction. I didn't want the HUGE Buick's because I figured they wouldn't be any better than the Impala. I was told by several local rep's that there was a recent run on all their 4WD and AWD vehicles which is why they didn't have any to choose from. Although, the 'dirty' side had a ton of vehicles waiting to be checked back into inventory. One guy behind me had made a reservation for a full size SUV only to be told "Sorry, but we have none at the moment. You'll need to wait until one arrives and we can get it cleaned." How bad is that? Man, I sure hope he got something comparable or at least a good rate reduction of some type.

Check out was painless and fast. I should add the handling of the Impala on snow was quite impressive. More than once I thought we'd surely get stuck going up one of the steep hills surrounding Bellevue only to be pleasantly surprised on our arrival atop said hill!

At any rate, I hope my next National rental isn't as bad. I plan on sticking with them until something really bad happens...like say a 3 hour wait for an available car for a 1-way rental. That is what killed my affiliation with Dollar. Let's hope I don't run into something similar with National.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
I arrived last wednesday around noon and the selection royally sucked.

There were about 3 minivans, two HHR's and one Avenger. Thankfully the guy checking cars in as they came from the carwash took pity on me any hooked me up with a Saturn Aura with only 1400 miles on it, satellite radio, etc. Enjoyed it much more than the Avenger I would have taken.

Of course when I returned this evening the EA was completely full with a random selection...I didn't pay enough attention to list any of it here though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.