Are free rental days useless?

Old May 20, 2016, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Are free rental days useless?

I've earned a weeks worth of free car rental days with National. Problem is I have no car, therefore no car insurance and cannot use any of my credit card's car rental supplemental insurance policies because it is a redeemed rental.

If I use a free rental day then add insurances it becomes more expensive than normal rental.

If I use contract code + apply free rental days I basically get only $30 off.

Is there anyway around this (eg being able to just use CC insurance) or since I don't have my own car insurance they are pretty much worthless?
Old May 20, 2016, 2:06 pm

It sounds like you're using free days for simple, cheap roundtrips. As you see, poor value. Use it for $211/day midsize one-way long distance and pay $25/day for CDW. That's a phenomenal deal.
Old May 20, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by R2134
I've earned a weeks worth of free car rental days with National. Problem is I have no car, therefore no car insurance and cannot use any of my credit card's car rental supplemental insurance policies because it is a redeemed rental.

If I use a free rental day then add insurances it becomes more expensive than normal rental.

Is there anyway around this (eg being able to just use CC insurance) or since I don't have my own car insurance they are pretty much worthless?
Did you use only one credit card when renting and earning free days? If yes, most likely the same card's insurance covers you. Or as other fellow member suggested use them for expensive one way rentals and just pay for CDW.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You might consider one paid day and the balance free days after a close read of the real policy (not the benefit summary) of your credit card rental car protection.

The bombastic rhetorical 'Are free rental days useless?' Not if you're using them thoughtfully.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Get a non-owners annual liability policy. Usually well under $100.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wiley
Well under $100? Please tell us which insurance carrier offers this.

I called every insurance co. under the sun about non-owners policy and no one was even close to $100. A lot were $500+.

Still doesn't solve OP's dilemma WRT coverage for damage.
Old May 22, 2016, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by hughc99

I called every insurance co. under the sun about non-owners policy and no one was even close to $100. A lot were $500+.

It probably depends on your age, state, and driving history, but in Virginia, both Geico and State Farm offered plans in the $100 range.

For the OP: you might want to look at the AMEX Premium insurance. It costs $17-$25 per rental for primary collision-only coverage. An adjuster once told me, when I called, that as long as some taxes/fees are charged to the card, the insurance would be active. I would recommend you give them a call to confirm this, though- it's been awhile since I called.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle

Yes, they are useless. Please PM me and we can transfer them to my account.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:27 am

I'm just about to book a rental with free days.
Even though I have enough free days to cover, there's still a couple fees and I end up paying $4.50 or so, which I pay with the Visa.

The wording is:
"You must pay the full cost of the car rental with an Eligible Visa card"

I'll probably call to confirm, but that makes sense to me.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver
Originally Posted by Chingyul
I'm just about to book a rental with free days.
Even though I have enough free days to cover, there's still a couple fees and I end up paying $4.50 or so, which I pay with the Visa.

The wording is:
"You must pay the full cost of the car rental with an Eligible Visa card"

I'll probably call to confirm, but that makes sense to me.
It is well-documented on FT anbd by both Chase and AMEX personally, that both Chase Sapphire Preferred and AMEX Premium Rental Car Protection provide CDW when using free days, AS LONG AS at least $0.01 is charged on the card (taxes, fees, etc.). If there is no charge, then obviously the primary insurance protections of that card dont accrue.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by hughc99

Try Travelers. I pay around $120-130 for $500k in coverage. It's in NYC.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Wiley
This provides important liability coverage but doesn't help the OP wrt damage to the car.

Chase was very clear with me about their coverage - it isn't the $0.01 rule, but that a rental fee must be charged to the card, not just tax. If the only charge is tax (one day free rental), there is no damage coverage, however a two day rental with one paid and one free day would be covered.

This was Chase Ink, not Sapphire, but I imagine they have the same rules, no?

I pay about 180/yr for Non Owners Liability of 100/300/50 through AAA Southern California. I'm going to check Travelers too for higher limits, but every other company I called had no idea what non-owners liability was, or insisted they didn't offer it (including State Farm, Progressive, etc)....even Travelers makes no mention of that policy on their website.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This provides important liability coverage but doesn't help the OP wrt damage to the car.

Chase was very clear with me about their coverage - it isn't the $0.01 rule, but that a rental fee must be charged to the card, not just tax. If the only charge is tax (one day free rental), there is no damage coverage, however a two day rental with one paid and one free day would be covered.

This was Chase Ink, not Sapphire, but I imagine they have the same rules, no?

I pay about 180/yr for Non Owners Liability of 100/300/50 through AAA Southern California. I'm going to check Travelers too for higher limits, but every other company I called had no idea what non-owners liability was, or insisted they didn't offer it (including State Farm, Progressive, etc)....even Travelers makes no mention of that policy on their website.
It's very much a niche product, since the number of US households that (a) don't own a car, AND (b) do actually drive cars, AND (c) aren't essentially judgment-proof, is very small.

I only found coverage through an agency (Cambell Solberg) here in NYC, who apparently do a lot of these policies, since NYC actually has a material number of people who fit the three criteria above.

Good point on coverage on the rental car, although, due a quirk in NY law, my non-owners coverage also covers my rental car. That clearly doesn't apply to people in other states.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.