Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

"No vehicles available" in CLT on a Saturday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I've been trying to book a car for tomorrow from CLT (Charlotte, NC). It'd be a one-way rental to another nearby airport. When I try to make the reservation, a message appears, stating, "No vehicles are available for the selected day and time".

It's Charlotte on a Saturday--there are always slews of cars available. When I do a test and book a car from CLT, also returning to CLT, plenty of cars are available. I've never had a problem booking a one-way reservation before.

What gives, and is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.

Last edited by ibrandsguest; Apr 29, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I've been trying to book a car for tomorrow from CLT (Charlotte, NC). It'd be a one-way rental to another nearby airport. When I try to make the reservation, a message appears, stating, "No vehicles are available for the selected day and time".

It's Charlotte on a Saturday--there are always slews of cars available. When I do a test and book a car from CLT, also returning to CLT, plenty of cars are available. I've never had a problem booking a one-way reservation before.

What gives, and is there a way to fix this?

Thanks.
Always remember one way rentals implies a vehicle will not be returning to where it is assigned. Sometimes certain locations are fine with that, others not.

If the system will not allow you to book the reservation as a one way there are few other options. One would be to make the thing as return to same location but then call the place directly and speak with a manager to see if changes can be made.

Another option would be to simply make the reservation as above but return it to another location but be prepared to take your lumps. There probably will be a one way or some other fee but maybe you can sweet talk your way around it.

When it comes to National my priority if to first make sure there is a reservation. Most everything else after than can usually be worked out somehow.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:34 am

One ways between corporate locations are fine unless the origin is at a critical inventory threshold and doesn't want to lose more cars. Is something happening in CLT that weekend, or the following week?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I have a one-way rental out of CLT next week. No issues booking at all.

Like others have said, you can book a round-trip but return it elsewhere, but be prepared to be severely penalized.

In another thread, a friend of mine was quoted $400 title transfer and one-way fee for returning a vehicle to a location other than from where he rented it. The distance between the two locations was about 10 miles, but his schedule changed significantly and on very, very short notice.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:01 pm

Title transfer and/or drive backs are total nonsense. At many large locations, out of state cars are all they have. If they were really driving them back or re-registering them, as some agents may claim, they'd always have no cars available, and/or offer them nearly free to their "home." The fact is they don't.

They may redistribute cars within a region, such as Manhattan stores frequently need to, or suburban stores that took 4 pickup truck reservations and discovered their forecast was totally wrong.

And at many corporate stores, the car will probably go one-way somewhere else, sometimes on the same day. For some reason, some agents don't feel comfortable saying simply "supply and demand."
Old May 2, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Keep in mind that there was a big storm disruption at CLT. When that happens, they sell out as people will try to grab a one-way instead of waiting 24hrs to catch another flight.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks, everybody. I ended up just renting and dropping off from the same airport that I had intended to drive to. When I returned the car to that airport, it was packed, so I guess that airport just had an oversupply of cars and didn't want any more.
Old May 2, 2016, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Title transfer fee....LOL. I've never had an agent try to charge me that one before!!!
Old May 2, 2016, 5:19 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by aww3583
]In another thread, a friend of mine was quoted $400 title transfer and one-way fee for returning a vehicle to a location other than from where he rented it. The distance between the two locations was about 10 miles, but his schedule changed significantly and on very, very short notice.
This sounds like it may have been an issue with a franchise location who owns all of their cars...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.