Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

$250 to change drop off location within same city?

Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

A friend is in Atlanta for a conference. He's an Emerald Club member, but no elite status. He has a mid-size from ATL's Emerald Aisle.

His travel plans changed and he tried to call the downtown Atlanta location to drop his vehicle off there. No one picked up, so he called National customer care.

National said there would be a $250 penalty for dropping his vehicle off at a location other than the destination on the reservation.

I've dropped off vehicles at locations other than the destination on the reservation before and never have been assessed a penalty. Not just airport vs. city, but destinations 400+ miles away.

Anyone heard of this before? New policy?
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aww3583
A friend is in Atlanta for a conference. He's an Emerald Club member, but no elite status. He has a mid-size from ATL's Emerald Aisle.

His travel plans changed and he tried to call the downtown Atlanta location to drop his vehicle off there. No one picked up, so he called National customer care.

National said there would be a $250 penalty for dropping his vehicle off at a location other than the destination on the reservation.

I've dropped off vehicles at locations other than the destination on the reservation before and never have been assessed a penalty. Not just airport vs. city, but destinations 400+ miles away.

Anyone heard of this before? New policy?
Completely depends on the rate code used for the reservation.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
He just texted me...

He drove to the downtown location and asked in person. The station manager said it would be approximately $400 to change the title in addition to the one-way rental fee.

This was a standard, Emerald Club reservation. No contract code, rate code, etc.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
You have to call reservations and change the drop off location...which may change the rate. Fees can be much higher is you just drop it off at a different location.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:00 pm

For retail renters, National is often relatively unfriendly towards one ways. They seem to have fewer cars and locations than competitors who usually offer better one way rates, which may help explain why.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
I'd drive the 7 miles from downtown ATL to the airport and take the MARTA or an Uber back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.