Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie question on Emerald Exec

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Newbie question on Emerald Exec

Hi,

I just enrolled in the Emerald Club, and managed to get Exec status through my credit card. From my understanding of how this works, with EE status, if I reserve a Fullsize car, I only pay Midsize rate right? And this price is supposed to be reflected at the last page of the booking process?

Strangely, this doesn't seem to be happening for me. At the car selection screen, and at the calculate total screen just before I click "Reserve", both rates are the same, which basically means I am being charged Fullsize rates for a Fullsize car.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:50 am
Original Poster

I played around with the website a little, and I realised the problem only happens when I try to reserve SUVs. If I reserve a Fullsize car, then I'll get charged Midsize rates as expected.

Is this how it should be? Does the EE privileges not apply to SUVs?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by vade
I played around with the website a little, and I realised the problem only happens when I try to reserve SUVs. If I reserve a Fullsize car, then I'll get charged Midsize rates as expected.

Is this how it should be? Does the EE privileges not apply to SUVs?
No, it doesn't. It applies to full-size, premium, and luxury cars only. You pay the rate for the next lower car class when you reserve a full-size through luxury.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

I see, thanks.

So if I wanted an SUV, I would just reserve a Fullsize car, pay the Midsize rate, and go to the EA/ES when I arrive, and pick any available SUV? What are the chances of there not being any SUV available? I'll be renting from YYZ.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
See the YYZ thread for reports of what people found recently on EA/ES.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...rs-yyz-37.html
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:10 pm

Not having an SUV on the ES at YYZ is a very rare occurrence unless you're picking up when there's almost no cars. That said, the option of getting a full-size suv (yukon, suburban, etc.) from the ES is also a very rare occurrence. ES is usually littered with midsize suv's/crossovers. Edge, Explorer, Santa Fe, Sportage, etc.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for helping to clear this up for me!

On a separate note, I'm visiting Toronto from Singapore, and will be renting a car for the first time there. I've some questions about LDW and Personal Liability Insurance. I have travel insurance which includes Personal Liability Cover (up to $1 mil) and Rental Vehicle Excess/Deductible Cover (up to $1500).

1. Do I still need to purchase LDW and Personal Liability Insurance from the rental car company?

2. For LDW from National, it was only Yes or No, with no mention of excess or deductible amount remaining. Does this mean that the LDW reduces the excess/deductible to $0?

3. The LDW costs from National are quite hefty. Are there any coupons I can use, or third party insurers, to reduce this cost?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: National EE
Thanks for helping to clear this up for me!

On a separate note, I'm visiting Toronto from Singapore, and will be renting a car for the first time there. I've some questions about LDW and Personal Liability Insurance. I have travel insurance which includes Personal Liability Cover (up to $1 mil) and Rental Vehicle Excess/Deductible Cover (up to $1500).

1. Do I still need to purchase LDW and Personal Liability Insurance from the rental car company?

2. For LDW from National, it was only Yes or No, with no mention of excess or deductible amount remaining. Does this mean that the LDW reduces the excess/deductible to $0?

3. The LDW costs from National are quite hefty. Are there any coupons I can use, or third party insurers, to reduce this cost?

All cars in Canada have liability insurance (if you damage other cars or properties). If you want personal accident insurance (to cover medical expenses for yourself and/or other passengers in your vehicle) you can purchase it from National or check if your credit card provides the coverage.

If you buy LDW from National the excess is $0, you can double check that at the counter. There is no coupon for LDW. Check with your credit card to see if they offer LDW coverage. Most gold and platinum credit cards in US/Canada do, I don't know about Signature.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:14 am

I see, thanks.

So if I wanted an SUV, I would just reserve a Fullsize car, pay the Midsize rate, and go to the EA/ES when I arrive, and pick any available SUV? What are the chances of there not being any SUV available? I'll be renting from YYZ.
I have seen SUV's at JFK and LGA. At least one or two on the aisle.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see, thanks.

If you *need* an SUV, then your best off just reserving one.
Otherwise, you're chancing it, and others (and the thread linked) can provide some guideposts as to general availability of SUVs in the EA/ES at YYZ specifically. If it's winter and snowing, then it's unlikely that there will be any there.
You could also ask the agent near the EA/ES if they could give you an SUV if there isn't one in the aisle, some have reported success doing that at other locations.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Closingracer
I have seen SUV's at JFK and LGA. At least one or two on the aisle.
Next to minivans it seems most all NYC area locations have a surplus of SUVs. Of course that is when you don't want one and is all they have. Reserve a SUV and suddenly they are no where to be found. *LOL*
Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Next to minivans it seems most all NYC area locations have a surplus of SUVs. Of course that is when you don't want one and is all they have. Reserve a SUV and suddenly they are no where to be found. *LOL*

No need to ever Rent a SUV ( IF you don't need a full size SUV) if you are renting at an airport location.... The aisles always have one or two SUV's and even at other locations in NYC you never need to rent one. I have been asked if I want a SUV on a full size res at those locations which every time I said no simply because I don't want to deal with parking it or paying for that in gas.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Closingracer
No need to ever Rent a SUV ( IF you don't need a full size SUV) if you are renting at an airport location.... The aisles always have one or two SUV's and even at other locations in NYC you never need to rent one. I have been asked if I want a SUV on a full size res at those locations which every time I said no simply because I don't want to deal with parking it or paying for that in gas.
Sometimes in Manhattan I've been offered them for free, but I think the last time she was trying to push one on me, but wanted $40/day (then somehow it dropped to $25/day). On a FS rez as Executive.

Of course, in a place like DEN, you pretty much do need an SUV rez in the winter, or else you're taking a big risk.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
As an EE, when I rent at GSO or DFW I get the Premium at the full rate. However, at PDX it quoted me the straight Premium rate. Not sure why...
Old May 1, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Keep in mind the website can be glitchy (shocker) when applying Exec/Elite class-of-service discounts. I've found most frequently that the discount is NOT reflected at the car class selection screen and only reflected in the final review screen prior to completing the res. Occasionally it's not reflected until the final post-reservation screen or, even more rare and stranger, a few days AFTER you make the reservation. I've NEVER had the discount not properly applied by the time I drove off, but it has pushed me to always ask for a copy of the rental agreement at the booth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.