Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

National forced me to upgrade from midsize to full size

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster

I did a one way from an airport to a local branch. I reserved a full size at the airport. I picked a mid size on purpose rather than a full size from the aisle.
Dropped it at a local branch, and I had another reservation for a full size at the local branch. I tried to keep the same car at the local branch. They wouldn't let me keep the mid size car. Nor did they let me pick the same model car I saw on the lot there. I'm Executive Elite and the attendant said that if he doesn't give me the same class as reserved or an upgrade it would hurt his score.
This is a case of a management policy intended to benefit the most loyal customers backfiring, and actually inconveniencing a loyal customer. Why can't they let a customer who wants to downgrade get a downgrade?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by nd2010
I did a one way from an airport to a local branch. I reserved a full size at the airport. I picked a mid size on purpose rather than a full size from the aisle.
Dropped it at a local branch, and I had another reservation for a full size at the local branch. I tried to keep the same car at the local branch. They wouldn't let me keep the mid size car. Nor did they let me pick the same model car I saw on the lot there. I'm Executive Elite and the attendant said that if he doesn't give me the same class as reserved or an upgrade it would hurt his score.
This is a case of a management policy intended to benefit the most loyal customers backfiring, and actually inconveniencing a loyal customer. Why can't they let a customer who wants to downgrade get a downgrade?
They didn't force you to do anything, so maybe you should relax about the title a bit. They gave you the exact car you had reserved, why would you reserve a full size if you'd like a mid size?
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Huh? When they did force you to upgrade? You reserved full size.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Why didn't you change your reservation at the local branch to midsize? Or barring that, cancel the full size and book a new midsize reservation?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Why didn't you change your reservation at the local branch to midsize? Or barring that, cancel the full size and book a new midsize reservation?
This is the angle I would have taken. Specifically request that the reservation be downgraded to midsize.

Or... ask about cancelling the new reservation and simply extending the original one?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hartlogan
This is the angle I would have taken. Specifically request that the reservation be downgraded to midsize.

Or... ask about cancelling the new reservation and simply extending the original one?
OP did a one way and I'm guessing to avoid paying the airport location related charges beyond the one day.

I'm also speculating OP had a one way from the local branch back to airport and system might have no one-way mid-size reservation available last minute as a new or modify reservation.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 11:40 am

If he only wanted a midsize class of car, why not simply book it. Unless the midsize was priced higher than a fullsize (which sometimes happens), he'd be paying the same price regardless as a EE. Otherwise just accept the fullsize and move on. I agree with the attendant. Why should he hurt his station score simply because you booked bigger than you wanted.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Midsize and full size were the same price at both locations
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by nd2010
Midsize and full size were the same price at both locations
If midsize and full size were the same price and you wanted a midsize, why did you book a full size? (then get upset when they gave you the car you booked)
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by sweeper20
If midsize and full size were the same price and you wanted a midsize, why did you book a full size? (then get upset when they gave you the car you booked)
Probably because doing it his way meant if the midsize selection sucked he could take a fullsize, if he'd rented midsize and they only had junk on the lot he'd be out of luck.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Exec Citi, NZ* G, Nat EE, Avis PP, HH Gold
So... it sounds like the OP tried to play the system to his advantage to give himself midsize/fullsize options and avoid paying airport related fees, and instead ended up on the wrong side of a rule/metric that is in place to keep him (and other elites) from getting screwed by poor inventory management.

Please forgive me for getting a bit of a chuckle out of this.

I still don't understand why the reservation couldn't be changed at the local branch to give him a midsize. OP, did you ask if the manager could change the reservation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.