Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrade Frustration... First World Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

On a weekly basis, I rent from a small, non-aisle location. The two agents I interact with know me by name and are always incredibly friendly.

For the past 6 weeks, there has been a BMW 3-series in the lot, and it hasn't moved. Same spot each and every time.

Every time I go to the counter, the agent asks "What vehicle would you like today?" and every time, I ask about the BMW. They always reply "oh, our managers won't let us upgrade anyone to that without a fee. Today's fee is..." and then they look in the computer. The daily rate fluctuates between $10 and $30 per day on top of the rate on my reservation.

I always politely decline and the agent says "Yeah, no one ever wants to pay for it. Now what vehicle would you like?"

They then have no problem giving me an Enclave, Tahoe, Explorer, SRX, minivan, etc. on a mid-size reservation.

1. The reservations on the website for that specific branch only allow car classes up to a full-size SUV or minivan. No one can place a reservation for it, and they don't advertise having any luxury vehicles available at the counter. Why not give it to a long-time EE member?

2. Why allow a customer to take a fully loaded Tahoe (normal rate is $150+ per day and the sticker price is $60k) at a mid-size rate, but not a BMW?

3. This is a fairly touristy/seasonal area. The larger SUVs and minivans are constantly booked. Why give one to me for no charge and have it not available for larger parties or families?

I know, first world problems.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: Kimpton IC, Voila Platinum, Club Carlson Gold Elite,National EE, Hertz PC, Avis First, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by aww3583
On a weekly basis, I rent from a small, non-aisle location. The two agents I interact with know me by name and are always incredibly friendly.

For the past 6 weeks, there has been a BMW 3-series in the lot, and it hasn't moved. Same spot each and every time.

Every time I go to the counter, the agent asks "What vehicle would you like today?" and every time, I ask about the BMW. They always reply "oh, our managers won't let us upgrade anyone to that without a fee. Today's fee is..." and then they look in the computer. The daily rate fluctuates between $10 and $30 per day on top of the rate on my reservation.

I always politely decline and the agent says "Yeah, no one ever wants to pay for it. Now what vehicle would you like?"

They then have no problem giving me an Enclave, Tahoe, Explorer, SRX, minivan, etc. on a mid-size reservation.

1. The reservations on the website for that specific branch only allow car classes up to a full-size SUV or minivan. No one can place a reservation for it, and they don't advertise having any luxury vehicles available at the counter. Why not give it to a long-time EE member?

2. Why allow a customer to take a fully loaded Tahoe (normal rate is $150+ per day and the sticker price is $60k) at a mid-size rate, but not a BMW?

3. This is a fairly touristy/seasonal area. The larger SUVs and minivans are constantly booked. Why give one to me for no charge and have it not available for larger parties or families?

I know, first world problems.
It sounds like that particular manager doesn't want it rented out to anyone... Who knows what his logic is. The BMW name probably shouts 'paid upgrade' more than a Tahoe, despite the MSRPs. I've definitely gotten BMWs, Mercedes, and even a 75K QX80 on a midsize reservation.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Got to hit the sales quota.
Aside from the, BMWs seem to be more rare in the fleet.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Probably the managers DD and they don't want anyone else driving it....
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Snagged my unicorn this week.

Instead of picking up first thing in the morning, I reserved for late the preceding evening. The lot was sparse with a Tahoe, a Camry, and two Malibus.

I went in and was 4th in line, as a late flight had just landed.

I made it up to the counter and the agent said "Give me one second to go to Enterprise for more keys."

She came back and said "All I have is a Tahoe and a BMW, but I'd have to charge you for it the BMW" I asked "How much?" and she said "Let me look it up."

I made nice and chit-chatted with her while she was keying in the computer. I talked her into a "Happy Thanksgiving and Thank You for 40 Rentals This Year" free upgrade.

Not going to lie...after 500 miles of butt-numbing highway driving... I probably should have sacrificed gas mileage and taken the Tahoe. But wow, that BMW is strong in the curves and on-ramps.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:41 am

I don't really understand why they think the BMW's are such exotic cars. There are many better cars in the fleet than the bare bones spec 328i's they seem to have. Infact I'd go so far as to say I'd be disapointed to receive one. Each time you've picked up a Tahoe or an SRX or something instead you've probably driven off in a better car.

It's like they think people are renting a keychain to show off rather than a car..

If you rent a regular fullsize sedan in Germany you will receive a BMW 3 Series - because that's what it is, a regular fullsize sedan, not a luxury car.

The higher spec ones are great but National don't have loaded 335i's.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Foxtbh
I don't really understand why they think the BMW's are such exotic cars. There are many better cars in the fleet than the bare bones spec 328i's they seem to have. Infact I'd go so far as to say I'd be disapointed to receive one. Each time you've picked up a Tahoe or an SRX or something instead you've probably driven off in a better car.

It's like they think people are renting a keychain to show off rather than a car..

If you rent a regular fullsize sedan in Germany you will receive a BMW 3 Series - because that's what it is, a regular fullsize sedan, not a luxury car.

The higher spec ones are great but National don't have loaded 335i's.
Yep. Lesson learned.

First off, the car drives really, really well. Outside of that, it lags most other sedans in every aspect.

It's tighter inside than a Fusion.

It had key fobs and push button start. But if the car was locked, the vehicle wouldn't sense your proximity and unlock the doors when you tug on the handle. You had to physically push the "unlock" button on the fob to open any doors or the trunk.

The car automatically shuts down the engine when you're stopped in drive. But, if you pull into a spot and stop, then push "park" the engine shuts off into "ready" mode, not completely off. You push the engine off button and it restarts the engine. Then you push the off button to shut it off for good. After all that, you have to tug on the door handle twice to get it to unlock and open.

I got 33MPG over a 1,000 mile drive which was nice. The "Eco mode" is used to get that mileage and often shuts down the AC for more efficiency. This makes the cabin slightly warmer and much more humid.

No satellite radio option which stunk.

I'll stick with a Fusion or Tahoe next time.

Last edited by aww3583; Nov 19, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond; United Platinum; AA Gold
It had key fobs and push button start. But if the car was locked, the vehicle wouldn't sense your proximity and unlock the doors when you tug on the handle. You had to physically push the "unlock" button on the fob to open any doors or the trunk.

The car automatically shuts down the engine when you're stopped in drive. But, if you pull into a spot and stop, then push "park" the engine shuts off into "ready" mode, not completely off. You push the engine off button and it restarts the engine. Then you push the off button to shut it off for good. After all that, you have to tug on the door handle twice to get it to unlock and open.
I was recently upgraded to a 528i at DSM. At first I was excited since I have not driven a 5 series prior to that rental. However these "features" that you have highlighted also exist in the 528i and I was completely disappointed.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BostonBusinessTraveler
I was recently upgraded to a 528i at DSM. At first I was excited since I have not driven a 5 series prior to that rental. However these "features" that you have highlighted also exist in the 528i and I was completely disappointed.
I completely get why it's called the "ultimate driving machine" and not the "ultimate passenger comfort and user friendly machine".
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Yep. Lesson learned.

First off, the car drives really, really well. Outside of that, it lags most other sedans in every aspect.

It's tighter inside than a Fusion.

I got 33MPG over a 1,000 mile drive which was nice. The "Eco mode" is used to get that mileage and often shuts down the AC for more efficiency. This makes the cabin slightly warmer and much more humid.

No satellite radio option which stunk.

I'll stick with a Fusion or Tahoe next time.
BMW convenience package is optional. That's why it doesn't unlock because there is no sensor.

There are many standard features that other car makers already have, but German counterparts still charge for them as optional features.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Sounds like you got a base model 3er since you had to manually unlock the door. I actually prefer a 2er from Sixt over the 3er; makes the 3er feels like a Crown Vic in terms of agility.

The engine shutting down when you stop is a European thing. Under the engine start/stop button is another button to turn off this feature.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
Sounds like you got a base model 3er since you had to manually unlock the door. I actually prefer a 2er from Sixt over the 3er; makes the 3er feels like a Crown Vic in terms of agility.

The engine shutting down when you stop is a European thing. Under the engine start/stop button is another button to turn off this feature.
I'm familiar with auto stop on the engine. Lots of domestic cars have it.

What made no sense was if you pulled into a parking space, the engine turned off because it thought it was at a stop light. I'd then put the car in park, since I was at my destination. However, hitting the engine start/stop button would turn the engine on instead of completely off. I'd have to hit the button a second time to turn the engine off and exit the vehicle.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
What made no sense was if you pulled into a parking space, the engine turned off because it thought it was at a stop light. I'd then put the car in park, since I was at my destination. However, hitting the engine start/stop button would turn the engine on instead of completely off. I'd have to hit the button a second time to turn the engine off and exit the vehicle.
Where is your foot and its relation to the brake pedal during the entire process?

I don't owe one but rent enough in Germany that it is almost second nature. The gas "saving" feature of engine shutoff only takes effect when you foot is on the brake pedal. The moment you take your foot off the brake, the engine comes back on (unless the vehicle has and you turned on the "Auto H"old feature.

When I come to a stop at a parking spot, the engine is off due to the gas saving feature and my foot is on the brake pedal. I hit P and take my foot off the brake pedal which results in engine coming back on. I hit the engine stop button and exit vehicle.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:10 am

I'm familiar with auto stop on the engine. Lots of domestic cars have it.

You actually don't - you can just get out of the car and lock it, which has the effect of shutting everything down.

There is no need to hit the Stop button again if the engine has shut off when you roll into the space.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: Kimpton IC, Voila Platinum, Club Carlson Gold Elite,National EE, Hertz PC, Avis First, Sixt Platinum
The BMW hoarding is definitely location specific. I recently showed up to pickup up my weekly rental from a smaller non-aisle airport location and they had pulled aside keys for a new 328i x-drive for me and held them all day. I believe I had a FCAR or PCAR reservation.

I do agree with you, though. For such a highly prized brand, features are bare bones for the base models. Keyless start but no sensors on the door handles? No parking sensors or backup camera? No standard bluetooth music streaming? Come on, BMW... For a 40K vehicle, the tech is severely lacking.

On the other hand, a stock BMW will feel like it accelerates faster and hugs turns better than 95% of the other vehicles in the fleet. Definitely a blast to drive. That being said, my standard drive is 90 miles each way of straight highway. If I'm picky, I'll go for a nice LTZ Tahoe/Suburban or a Caddy SRX over a BMW or base Mercedes any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.