Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pretty disapppointed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Pretty disapppointed

I spent hours- different rates etc- and still couldn't find an unlimited mileage rental from YVR to YYC for less then $1000 for 6 days! I tried everything and anything- even called in and the best they could do over the phone was $1400!!!! I've since reserved with Hertz with unlimited mileage for $400 and tried status match- waiting on that- Executive with National- VERY VERY Disappointed National couldn't help me out at all! I typically make 6-8 10 day plus rentals per year guess that isn't enough for them to keep me as a customer!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I would not expect discounts on one-way rentals.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

I don't expect an big discount but I expect them to be competitve- not 2-3x more then the competitors!~
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:36 pm

In general, National and Hertz have different business models when it comes to one-ways. Hertz prides itself on having maximum flexibility, with a large network of corporate stores. That means more cars and locations, which lends itself to more acceptable pricing.

National was historically a collection of airport franchises, and runs a higher utilization, so they have generally not been as interested in one-ways. They will offer a better free day program, which can be used for one-ways. How? They're hoping that either through higher prices, or relative rare use of free days, the one-way will happen relatively rarely.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

It's not just Hertz though basically National is 2-3x everyone !
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why does it upset you? I am sure you encounter situations when your prefered airline or hotel are priced much higher and you book alternatives.

I d be happy there was $400 option for this particular case and you ll earn points too - i am not a fan of hertz but its an acceptable option. They have some bonus points promo going on btw...

Ironically national was by far cheaper than hertz on the upcoming yvr-sea oneway i booked without any discounts. Perhaps they are trying to move cars south.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:10 pm

Yes, all companies are gearing up for the AZ and FL driveins. Overlapping with that tends to be unadvertised specials from Canadian to US border cities. Ex, YVR-SEA, and there's a $25/day special from SEA to PHX at the same time, etc.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:41 am
Original Poster

I guess I just LOVE the 'unknown' of getting to an Emerald Aisle and getting a selection to choose from- I did get my Executive Status matched by Hertz gold to 5 star- so I will be eligible for a 1 class upgrade 'upon availability' so it is what it is! I have just not seen such a huge difference in pricing before is all!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
In my experience National at YVR seems to DESPISE one-way rentals. In 2010 I had a one-way to Toronto and they gave me a Kia Sorento from Alberta. When I inquired about the beautiful new Fusion Sport right in front of me, they told me because it was a BC car it would be an additional $250 drop fee, on top of my $200+/day rate. I think they were bluffing and just hoping to shove me into a car that didn't even belong to them so they could keep their own fleet to themselves.

I get on the highway, and anything over 55 MPH the back end was vibrating badly. I figured it was a tire out of balance, and not worth going back, so I continued to the ferry and on to Victoria. When I go to the Enterprise-sanctioned repair shop in Victoria, I find out the entire rear differential is actually bent and the car is basically undriveable. Since the National on the island is a franchise, I had to deal with Enterprise, and the best they had for me was a Dodge Avenger which was way too small for me and all my kit moving across the country. So I ended up having to switch at YVR again, this time into yet another AB-plated car.

So I suspect the higher than competitor rates are to discourage one-ways entirely. Just bear in mind this is a YVR thing, not a National thing. I wouldn't let one imperfect location spoil the lot.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:17 pm

Have you tried rentalcars.com?
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No issues with car choice at YVR last weekend. I even asked if they had anything specific to send south - he just said to pick anything i wanted from the aisle. Took a fusion. Perhaps depends on agent...
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:37 pm
formerly memoses

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Something or another, HH Blue :), National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by hallen
I spent hours- different rates etc- and still couldn't find an unlimited mileage rental from YVR to YYC for less then $1000 for 6 days! I tried everything and anything- even called in and the best they could do over the phone was $1400!!!! I've since reserved with Hertz with unlimited mileage for $400 and tried status match- waiting on that- Executive with National- VERY VERY Disappointed National couldn't help me out at all! I typically make 6-8 10 day plus rentals per year guess that isn't enough for them to keep me as a customer!
Can't say a one-time price difference is enough to make me ever leave a company in anger... there are so many factors involved in a car rental price. Heck, changing a reservation to pick up in the afternoon versus the morning can sometimes be a $50/day difference in the east coast of the states.

With that said, are you taking all 6 days to drive to YYC, or are you zipping along in 1-2 days and keeping the car for an additional 4? If the later, I'd always recommend renting one-way for the exact days needed, then rerenting in Calgary for a local and likely much cheaper rate.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by azepine00
No issues with car choice at YVR last weekend. I even asked if they had anything specific to send south - he just said to pick anything i wanted from the aisle. Took a fusion. Perhaps depends on agent...
Yeah, there's one guy I know who would probably stand on his head before a "Vancouver car" gets through on a one-way. When I tried asking once why I was paying $200/day just to be shoehorned into one of the cars belonging to that franchise anyways he cut me off and said "Sir, don't waste your time."
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Eeks- I finally found a contract code I was eligible for that gave me a decent rate- even paying for kms- Yes we are exploring BC and Alberta for 7 days so will need car whole time-I have executive status would they actually pull me out of what I pick from the executive aisle?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hallen
Eeks- I finally found a contract code I was eligible for that gave me a decent rate- even paying for kms- Yes we are exploring BC and Alberta for 7 days so will need car whole time-I have executive status would they actually pull me out of what I pick from the executive aisle?
Check the faq as many of your questions might be answered here. I am not understanding what your asking, but you need to book a midsize or higher for aisle access. Selection of cars will vary. I would also keep your Hertz reservation as a backup.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...questions.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.