Wiki Posts
Search

Email: SiriusXM for a Fee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:24 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by aww3583
Talked to a station manager today after she tried to upsell me XM Radio which I politely declined.

She said she's only sold it once in the past week. She also said the move to make it a paid option has really ticked off many of her frequent Emerald Club renters.

She said it was not National's choice to end the free trials and rental car subscriptions. She said it was driven by XM. She countered that by saying $6/day is cheaper than Hertz and Avis. I can't comment on that because I've never rented from those two.

I walked out to my vehicle, called into XM, and had the 30-day trial refreshed in about 3 minutes. I have a feeling that loophole is going to close soon, but I'm going to use it every chance I get.
That must be the line they're telling agents and greeters to use. Last week I made the comment to the exit booth agent that $5.99 was pretty steep for XM per day, and she pointed at the Hertz lot across the street and told me they charge $8/day. She also told me that they justify it based on the often many-class upgrades given to renters choosing from the Aisle/Executive Selection. I'm sure some market research company told these companies this is a lost profit opportunity which is why it's being adopted, but it sure does seem silly.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dwbf11
That must be the line they're telling agents and greeters to use. Last week I made the comment to the exit booth agent that $5.99 was pretty steep for XM per day, and she pointed at the Hertz lot across the street and told me they charge $8/day. She also told me that they justify it based on the often many-class upgrades given to renters choosing from the Aisle/Executive Selection. I'm sure some market research company told these companies this is a lost profit opportunity which is why it's being adopted, but it sure does seem silly.
From Hertz: "Sirius or XM packages are available for an additional fee of US$7.99 per day plus tax."

From Avis: "Now available for:
$6.99 for the first day
$4.99 for 2-4 days
$24.99 weekly
$39.99 monthly

From Budget: "Enjoy commercial-free tunes with SiriusXM Satellite Radio for $6.99/day". (lol @ "commercial free")

From National: Pricing is
$5.99 per day
$24.99 per week
$49.98 maximum for 30 days
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I guess I will give the trial a try when I get my next car tomorrow - has the group verified that trials on all long term cars (Chrysler, Lincoln, Hyundai, Ford) are all turned off at this time?

If they deny the trial, I will give phone streaming a shot before I go buy a portable unit - I just hate the idea of the antenna outside and having to carry the unit on trips, but there is no way I am paying one red cent to National for this.

Is the 6 month sign-up special mentioned upthread still available?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I ran into this at LAX today. I gave the manager an earful, and he comped it for me for the week.

I've had XM in my personal cars for 10 years. I rarely listen to regular radio. About the only time I do is if I get a rental from a location that has zero XM - like Salt Lake City (I guess SXM is the work of the devil).

I had asked SXM marketing - they're a customer of mine - about having an easy way to float a subscription from one car to another, so that subscribers can have the service in rental cars. No dice.

I'm not sure how I'll proceed in the future. The idea of bringing CDs with me doesn't appeal. Loading songs on the phone works, but I do like the variety of SXM. I drive out in the boonies a lot, so having the streaming option over my cell phone isn't a great solution. I'm routinely in places where I can't even get cell service.

They did say that after you buy the service, it takes 15 minutes for the radio to refresh. It was just a couple of minutes today, so they seem pretty quick on getting the message to SXM to activate a particular radio ID. I assume it's a checkbox on the screen they use at the booth for checkout.

He did say that a lot of members have complained about it, and only a few people had bought it. He said it went into effect last week, and they weren't too thrilled about either.

It was always a pain doing a "find the active license" hunt in the Exec aisle. I've rented enough Hyundais over the last couple of years just for XM.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Given that I pay $6/month for my home vehicle, where I have a 55 mile RT work commute, there is very little chance I am going to pay $6/day for a rental car. The only place would I would do that is if I was doing a very long one-way, one-day positioning rental with a free day. I mean something like 300 miles.

It should be free for Executive Elite, $1/day for existing SXM subscribers, and $3/day or $15/week for everybody else.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
It should be free for Executive Elite, $1/day for existing SXM subscribers, and $3/day or $15/week for everybody else.
This!!!!

As an Exec. Elite I don't feel I really get any additional benefits, but this would be pretty significant benefit - and the pricing is fair.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
This!!!!

As an Exec. Elite I don't feel I really get any additional benefits, but this would be pretty significant benefit - and the pricing is fair.
Well, you do get a better selection in the Aisle of the former mid-sized cars that National now claims are full-size.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Premier Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Two of my last three rentals since mid-September have been newer cars with full XM working as I left the lot. XM service cancelled overnight, nothing but the preview channel working the next morning.

The other rental was a jeep cherokee latitude with 4 miles on it, I was the first person to drive it... clock way off, interior lights completely dimmed... and the XM did not work.

I guess I'm not that annoyed by this change in service because I have an XM subscription on my own vehicle at home, which lets me use the app on my phone. A usb cable or jack adapter and I'm in business with pretty much any current rental car.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:37 am

Had an interesting experience with XM at MHT this weekend. Mrs. Teasip and I arrived Thursday afternoon to find the EA empty except for a loaded Suburban with 1200 miles. Not a problem, as I am a big guy so like cars with a lot of room. We were not offered XM at checkout of the lot, and pulled out of the garage and found out the XM was working. For about five minutes. It died a few miles out of the airport...
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
New Sirius Satellite Radio Charge ($6.99/dy)

I walked in to rent my weekly car today. As usual, I asked for a car with satellite radio and was told that there is now a fee of $6.99 per day. I nearly fell over. Apparently, they give you a device that essentially turns the satellite radio on.

Needless to say, I'm not too pleased and will never pay that fee. I will start looking for other providers that offer satellite radio for free, or charge a reasonable fee. You want to charge me $2 per day… Fine. You want to charge me $10 for my rental.… Fine. You want to charge $7 per day… No way. Especially when satellite radio is about $12 per month.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: National EE
Originally Posted by jb3t
I walked in to rent my weekly car today. As usual, I asked for a car with satellite radio and was told that there is now a fee of $6.99 per day. I nearly fell over. Apparently, they give you a device that essentially turns the satellite radio on.

Needless to say, I'm not too pleased and will never pay that fee. I will start looking for other providers that offer satellite radio for free, or charge a reasonable fee. You want to charge me $2 per day… Fine. You want to charge me $10 for my rental.… Fine. You want to charge $7 per day… No way. Especially when satellite radio is about $12 per month.
The fee is outrages. $6.99 per week/rental is acceptable (especially if one is taking a trip out of town and doesn't want to listen to Ads. over and over on radio channels), but not per day. Most of the cars at YYZ have low millage with their satellite radio still active. I'm wondering if they will deactivate them to force $6.99?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by matrixca7
The fee is outrages. $6.99 per week/rental is acceptable (especially if one is taking a trip out of town and doesn't want to listen to Ads. over and over on radio channels), but not per day. Most of the cars at YYZ have low millage with their satellite radio still active. I'm wondering if they will deactivate them to force $6.99?
It looks like all cars that have satellite radio will have the radio activated. When I got in my car, it had an active satellite radio and I could switch the channels and everything. However, even though it was activated, I could not hear it. Crank the volume up to "100" and still couldn't hear it. So, either give you something to allow you to hear it or flip a switch somewhere.

I already have an email into national regarding this. I think they priced themselved out of the market on this one.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:08 pm

Here's the link with pricing. This says $5.99/dy. At my location, it was $6.99/dy.

https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/ca.../siriusxm.html

... Now you can enjoy SiriusXM in most vehicles starting at our continental U.S. airport locations. When you choose your vehicle, look for the SiriusXM sticker on the window. Ask your Agent to activate at the time of rental. Pricing is $5.99 per day (my location priced it at $6.99), $24.99 per week, or $49.98 maximum for 30 days.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 2:09 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Consolidating this with our pre-existing thread on the subject.

-dwbf11
National Mod
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:26 pm

I noticed on the 2016 Impala that we currently have, on the barcode sticker, after the car style and trim, there's an SXM code. Kinda wonder if that's related to the whole siriusxm thing, and what it really means. Honestly haven't checked on whether the siriusxm is active (gm car, I'd doubt it anyways), because I don't listen to it anyways. Just thought it was odd to see SXM on the sticker. (Could be complete coincidence, I haven't paid enough attention to those stickers to know if that's common there or not.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.