Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email: SiriusXM for a Fee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by plagwate
That's what I did on my last rental. I am already a streaming subscriber and have the SiriusXM app on my phone. I never used it because I thought the data drain would send me into overage fee territory. I was pleasantly surprised, though. Streaming through the app required very little of my data allowance and was a nice change of pace to the six songs played over and over on the SiriusXM demo channel.
Hmm...I may sign up for a trial.

Did you happen to notice exactly how much data it was using, say, per hour of streaming? Even if I have to up my data plan a bit, might be worthwhile.

Man, I miss those unlimited data days...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by gooselee
Hmm...I may sign up for a trial.

Did you happen to notice exactly how much data it was using, say, per hour of streaming? Even if I have to up my data plan a bit, might be worthwhile.

Man, I miss those unlimited data days...
No, I didn't notice. It was that negligible. I have a 2 GB plan and and only used 1.5 GB total last month. That's with all the other data I pulled for other devices. We probably spent three of our travel days in the car streaming and I don't even think it drew 200 MB over that time.

If it helps you decide, I love the streaming that's available online when I'm at work. I pull the site up on the web and play it through my computer's speakers. Plus, there are a number of online only channels that add to the value.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 5:37 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Data point: Current rental is a new Ford Fusion Titanium with 500 miles on it. No active SXM.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by plagwate
No, I didn't notice. It was that negligible. I have a 2 GB plan and and only used 1.5 GB total last month. That's with all the other data I pulled for other devices. We probably spent three of our travel days in the car streaming and I don't even think it drew 200 MB over that time.

If it helps you decide, I love the streaming that's available online when I'm at work. I pull the site up on the web and play it through my computer's speakers. Plus, there are a number of online only channels that add to the value.
Thanks. Looks like there's a free 30-day trial that I'll give a shot on my next few trips.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Data point: Current rental is a new Ford Fusion Titanium with 500 miles on it. No active SXM.
That stinks. Big time.

I just turned in a 2015 Chrysler 200 with 18,600 miles that came with full XM.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Remember, the owner has to activate the subscription, they probably forgot/elected not to. I have had this happen with a new Cadillac one time. It does not appear to be uncommon.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:12 pm

Try active it here

https://care.siriusxm.com/newradioin...ialView.action

See what happens?

I know, some companies don't turn it on, if it is a fleet order.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Another data point: Picked up a 2016 Chevy Malibu with 38 miles on it on Thursday. No active SXM.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Remember, the owner has to activate the subscription, they probably forgot/elected not to. I have had this happen with a new Cadillac one time. It does not appear to be uncommon.
In my experience, at least with Fords, they used to come with a 3-6 month trial, no activation required. Maybe they've changed the procedure though.

Originally Posted by justhere
Another data point: Picked up a 2016 Chevy Malibu with 38 miles on it on Thursday. No active SXM.
This actually doesn't surprise me. GM vehicles come with a 3 or 7-day trial. I've had several delivery mile only GM vehicles (5-10 miles) with no active satellite.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Picked up a 2015 Enclave with 230 miles on the odometer. No active XM.

I had a 3-hour drive, so I figured I'd call in.

First agent took the radio ID number and put it into his system. He said "the owner has not added that radio ID to their account. You'll have to call the rental car company." I said "OK, thanks" and hung up and called again.

The next agent was much more successful. She said "GM vehicles come with a 30-day trial and yours is expired". I asked her if we could refresh the trial period and after a few clicks and keystrokes, she said "try tuning to a different station" and it worked. She said the vehicle has a new 30-day trial period attached to it.

Phone number is 855-697-3373. When the automated system asks for your account phone number, hit "0" and someone in the call center will help. Took about 5 minutes.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 1:36 am

Avis apparently has been doing this for a while

https://youtu.be/acaLr9wlvkk

Such a shame on National. I've built up such loyalty to them for so many years because of their XM cars. I feel like a rug is being pulled.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by cowtipn

Such a shame on National. I've built up such loyalty to them for so many years because of their XM cars. I feel like a rug is being pulled.
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? Plenty of vehicles still have their factory trials turned on. Most of us on here know which cars to go for if SXM is a priority, but for the frequent traveler who doesn't use brain space to hold that information, National is just offering a service that its competitors offer too. Hertz has done it for years.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:32 pm

Dwbf11, I would agree that this would seem like an exaggeration except it is becoming clear that National is actively canceling the free trials. My friend got a Dodge Journey with 4 miles last week. The Sirius worked for 6 hours then deactivated. If this was only to supplement the existing trials I wouldn't have a problem with it.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Dwbf11, I would agree that this would seem like an exaggeration except it is becoming clear that National is actively canceling the free trials. My friend got a Dodge Journey with 4 miles last week. The Sirius worked for 6 hours then deactivated. If this was only to supplement the existing trials I wouldn't have a problem with it.
That's an interesting data point. I hadn't heard that before. If that's the case, then yes, I agree it could be a bigger issue.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does XM limit the number of times you can update the radio ID on your account? If this turns into a trend, I am thinking about signing up for the 6m/$25 deal and just adding the radio ID to my account each time I get a new rental, then updating it when I pick up the next car.

If this is not possible, I will get the $10 monthly music service (I only listen to one channel anyway) and streaming it from my phone to the car.

No way I'm giving National one red cent for this "service".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.