Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

FYI: 3x overcharge due to "rate not valid"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA

Had two rentals for Hawaii in July - 4 days in HNL, 7 days in ITO/KOA. Reservations made in May. Quoted rates were $162 and $267 respectively. But I was charged $338 and $605. After 45 minutes (!) on the phone with a billing clerk, I got a refund of the overages.

The clerk said the problem was that the code I booked under is "no longer valid", so the system automatically pulled in rack rates (!!!!).

Lesson: check your receipts very carefully. Or use a different vendor.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:43 pm

Which code would that be?

Always a good idea to have printouts and deal with any issues on site upon returning the car. With that said, never had a problem with pricing. Whatever the site told me upon booking is always what am charged.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

See, that's just it. I didn't book with any special "codes" - just my standard contract rate. As near as I can tell, this was a systems error on their side. The point is, after 25 years of using National with no problem, now I have to start checking the rates after every rental.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jg70124
I didn't book with any special "codes" - just my standard contract rate.
Did the company not renew its contract with National?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Did the company not renew its contract with National?
I got the contract rates the week before in Grand Rapids, no problem, so I don't think that's it. But is there a way to tell?
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Never heard this one before. I use all kinds of codes, even some that are supposedly "expired", and they've never changed the rate after I get the confirmation.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:11 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
I wonder if the error is attributable to taking a car out of reserved class, because that would certainly explain the problem.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jg70124
I got the contract rates the week before in Grand Rapids, no problem, so I don't think that's it. But is there a way to tell?
You could ask your travel people. You might try a dummy booking at the same location to see if you again get offered the 'old' rates.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
One bad experience with "defaulting to rack rates" has led me to always ask the booth clerk to verify the rental total before I leave the lot. Much better to solve the problem early...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.