Wiki Posts
Search

Experience at Manhattan Locations?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Experience at Manhattan Locations?

How do the Manhattan National locations work in terms of car assignment? Do they have some sort of Emerald Aisle setup where you choose your car, or do they just pull something in the category you booked and say "here's your car?" I've been a Hertz guy in the past, thinking about trying something new.

Tried to search, but couldn't find anything on this, apologies if it's already been covered.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
They do not have emerald club aisles but they usually have four or five cars to choose from. I've never been disappointed. A lot of Sonata's and Camry's - have also gotten Azera's, Avalon's, Impala's (the new ones). Recently got a luxury Tahoe on a full size reservation. The employees are very friendly, and the cars are low mileage. Only complaint is that sometimes the tank is not full.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cestmoi123

Tried to search, but couldn't find anything on this, apologies if it's already been covered.
Nationalcar.com has a list of U.S. & Canada Emerald Aisle locations. They are all at airports.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Nationalcar.com has a list of U.S. & Canada Emerald Aisle locations. They are all at airports.
I assumed they weren't true Emerald Aisle (as in walk up, get in, drive off), but was wondering if it was a "this is what we have, what do you want" setup or a "here's the keys to your Impala" situation.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
They do not have emerald club aisles but they usually have four or five cars to choose from. I've never been disappointed. A lot of Sonata's and Camry's - have also gotten Azera's, Avalon's, Impala's (the new ones). Recently got a luxury Tahoe on a full size reservation. The employees are very friendly, and the cars are low mileage. Only complaint is that sometimes the tank is not full.
Very helpful, thanks.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:03 pm

How do the Manhattan National locations work in terms of car assignment? Do they have some sort of Emerald Aisle setup where you choose your car, or do they just pull something in the category you booked and say "here's your car?" I've been a Hertz guy in the past, thinking about trying something new.

National only has two locations in Manhattan; West 44th and Broadway near NYU. The latter is a *very* small office and the garage is shared with another car rental company and a parking garage. Have not been to the new West 44th location so cannot comment.

In any event the situation is same; you arrive, present your documents (drivers license and credit card), then customer service agent will pull your reservation and begin processing.

At least at the Broadway/NYU location all vehicles are located in the garage space deep in the bowels of the building, so you cannot "see" any inventory other than what perhaps has been recently returned and not moved "downstairs". However you can ask the counter agent what they have available in the class you reserved.

National does *NOT* guarantee you will get whatever class vehicle reserved. That is if you want an SUV and all they have are mid-sized or large cars, then you will have to deal with conditions as they are on the ground. Sometimes you can pick-up the say mid-sized car at one location and drive to another and swap it for what you wanted. This will work only if the other location has the inventory to accommodate.

At Emerald Club Executive and above status the location will "pull" the reservation early in the day (usually upon opening) and assign a vehicle (again based upon class reserved) before arrival. Once such a member gets to the location they are ready to go almost at once. That is National's location answer to no Emerald Aisle service.

A few points:

Though National in Manhattan has gotten better their fleet inventory by location is still heavily dependent upon customer's returning vehicles when they are due. When this does not happen it can play havoc with other reservations. Also during certain times of the year (major holidays, summer weekends, etc...) National's fleet in Manhattan can be stretched thin. If you *MUST* have a certain class vehicle on such occasions best to arrive early and or check with the location (by telephone) to see what is going on.

One huge difference between National and Hertz is that the former does not own any of their locations in NYC. All are leased spaces in garages with contracts for the workers to bring vehicles up and down, check in and so forth. This works out well because unlike Hertz you *can* drop off a National vehicle anytime after the office closes. So if you get back into the City at 11PM and don't feel like looking for parking/have no further use just return to the garage and the attendant will check in the vehicle. The next day when the location's office opens they will close out the contract and email you an invoice, or you can go and pick-up later.

When choosing to drop off after hours the usual rules apply; make sure the gas tank is full or whatever it is supposed to be and check the vehicle for damage. The attendant will (or should) do a walk around with you before handing you a receipt (he will note any damage), but just to be on the safe side.

Sorry for being long winded......
Old May 29, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by BugsyPal
National only has two locations in Manhattan; West 44th and Broadway near NYU. The latter is a *very* small office and the garage is shared with another car rental company and a parking garage. Have not been to the new West 44th location so cannot comment.
They just opened a third one @ 339 W 58th St.

My favorite is the Brooklyn one because they accept coupons for free weekend days, Manhattan branches do not.
Old May 29, 2015, 8:11 pm

My favorite is the Brooklyn one because they accept coupons for free weekend days, Manhattan branches do not.
So they finally opened? That is good news!

Have been with National for ages now and know many of the counter agents and managers (until the latter get rotated up and out) and was told when picking up vehicles late last year there were plans for a new location in the West 50's. This will replace the closed W77th location.

Thanks for the information. Now National needs to work on something to replace the closed East 80th location. *LOL*
Old May 31, 2015, 10:14 am

I have not witnessed it with my own eyes, but Sam 743 Broadway told me that Lou/Louis (the old manager, best manager ever) was at the new branch now so I assume it is opened. I still prefer Brooklyn but maybe I am more price sensitive than you
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Wait, they don't accept free weekend day coupons? Seriously? In that case, never mind, National just dropped off my list. I use my Hertz points for NYC weekend rentals, and if I can't do that with National, there's really no point. Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:00 am

Hertz Manhattan locations now require double points on all weekends. (AnyDay rewards). Someone in another thread said the outer boro neighborhood stores may also now have the same restrictions.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Hertz Manhattan locations now require double points on all weekends. (AnyDay rewards). Someone in another thread said the outer boro neighborhood stores may also now have the same restrictions.
Yup, still worth it to me, although less so than it was.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Yup, still worth it to me, although less so than it was.
Manhattan locations are now accepting banked free days for a while.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by GreeNYC
Manhattan locations are now accepting banked free days for a while.
Yes banked free days, but not coupon codes from website for free weekend day, $30/off/week etc.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 6:26 pm

Yes, for the past few years now National locations in NYC (Manhattan and elsewhere) have been accepting earned free days. Prior to this you had to go to one of the airports if you wanted to use any such days as part of a rental in the City.

However it is nil to impossible to find any National location in NYC that will accept coupons for free weekend days and so forth. Indeed often if you read the fine print that comes with such offers it often clearly states they aren't valid in NYC/Manhattan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.