Wiki Posts
Search

Choose any car... Just joking...

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, National EC Exec Elite
Choose any car... Just joking...

Was at JFK last week. Booked midsize, am Emerald Elite. I confirmed on the phone prior AND at the counter that I can choose ANY car. Yes was the resounding answer. In fact here it is on my confirmation:

"To choose your own car at this location:
BYPASS THE COUNTER -- Go straight to the Aisle -- the keys are in the cars.
CHOOSE ANY CAR -- Any size, color, make or model on the Aisle is yours at your reserved Midsize rate."

I tried three cars and found no keys, and each time I was told 'Oh sorry you have to pay an upgrade for those'. So it really is not ANY car then?
Old May 1, 2015, 5:34 pm

on the Emerald Aisle, or on Executive Aisle. Not on Premium

Last edited by SinglePapa2; May 2, 2015 at 11:49 am
Old May 1, 2015, 6:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
The key phrase is "on the Aisle", not any car on the lot. Also are you sure you actually have the Executive Elite status? It would have said something like "Executive Selection" or "Executive Area" if that would be the case. Aisle is for regular Emerald Club members.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HH Gold, MR Plat, Nat. EE
This happened to me at JFK several weeks ago. I took a car from the Executive Isle.. As I was driving out the attendant literally chased me down and had me get out of the car mid-way to the gate. When I asked why, he said I can have anything on the isle except 'that' car.. And we was very rude about it. Still no idea why. Now when I got to JFK I don't use National.
Old May 19, 2015, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by notsosimple
Was at JFK last week. Booked midsize, am Emerald Elite. I confirmed on the phone prior AND at the counter that I can choose ANY car. Yes was the resounding answer. In fact here it is on my confirmation:

"To choose your own car at this location:
BYPASS THE COUNTER -- Go straight to the Aisle -- the keys are in the cars.
CHOOSE ANY CAR -- Any size, color, make or model on the Aisle is yours at your reserved Midsize rate."

I tried three cars and found no keys, and each time I was told 'Oh sorry you have to pay an upgrade for those'. So it really is not ANY car then?
Originally Posted by aneura
This happened to me at JFK several weeks ago. I took a car from the Executive Isle.. As I was driving out the attendant literally chased me down and had me get out of the car mid-way to the gate. When I asked why, he said I can have anything on the isle except 'that' car.. And we was very rude about it. Still no idea why. Now when I got to JFK I don't use National.
Like most everything travel related- status. The EC has several statuses - and the higher tier you are, the more selection of the overall lot you have. Read the site, and you'll know which level applies to what area of the lot.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I wish they had an Executive Elite Aisle with a 2 Class minimum upgrade.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Even the commercial is pretty clear that it's any car on the aisle. You can't book Aisle and drive out in a Corvette.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, National EC Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zerolife
The key phrase is "on the Aisle", not any car on the lot. Also are you sure you actually have the Executive Elite status? It would have said something like "Executive Selection" or "Executive Area" if that would be the case. Aisle is for regular Emerald Club members.
Sorry for the delay. Yes 110% Executive Elite. To be fair these cars were in the aisle and I was directed to 'pick anything in these two rows' by the agent.

My other question: For non-aisle questions, is my status still worth it? Meaning do we get access to any car that is rentable at that location at the time? It seems like I get exactly what I book (Midsize or Full) and when I ask if there is anything else they say 'Not for this reservation'. I usually drop it there.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Sorry for the delay. Yes 110% Executive Elite. To be fair these cars were in the aisle and I was directed to 'pick anything in these two rows' by the agent.

My other question: For non-aisle questions, is my status still worth it? Meaning do we get access to any car that is rentable at that location at the time? It seems like I get exactly what I book (Midsize or Full) and when I ask if there is anything else they say 'Not for this reservation'. I usually drop it there.
I sometimes see the Premier Selection / Upgrade section right next to EA or ES which can be very confusing where the separation line is.

Can you share what cars they refused you to take? If it's something like a BMW then it's likely misplaced or confusing signs. Nowadays I think it's impossible to find a Luxury or Elite car on ES aisle. Not saying they are in the right, but it would be a too good to be true deal.

As for the non-aisle locations, they are not required to further upgrade you as you are already automatically upgraded one class during reservation (e.g. if you book a Premium car you are actually paying the Fullsize rate). However I've been to locations that will let you take something better, especially if you are a frequent customer and they know you. I remember one location in particular, I was already paying a dirt cheap rate of $20 a day and the attendant told me to take any car on the lot (ok it turned out he didn't realize their was a Caddy SRX on the lot but he was nice enough to let me go with it).

Last edited by zerolife; Jun 11, 2015 at 7:42 pm
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I rent almost exclusively at a non aisle location (TUL). There is a certain lady who works there and knows me from frequently renting so often. When I get to the booth she asks "What would you like to drive today?" A mid size res can get me a Q50 or a Premium Crossover. With other agents my EE status can get me a PCAR or smaller SUV.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
My recent trips to JFK the executive and the normal aisle barely has difference in my opinion. No premiums just full sizes.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
My recent trips to JFK the executive and the normal aisle barely has difference in my opinion. No premiums just full sizes.
In weekends or midweek?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by KevinMD
I rent almost exclusively at a non aisle location (TUL). There is a certain lady who works there and knows me from frequently renting so often. When I get to the booth she asks "What would you like to drive today?" A mid size res can get me a Q50 or a Premium Crossover. With other agents my EE status can get me a PCAR or smaller SUV.
+1

Frequent renter from PNS here...a non-aisle location.

After confirming my reservation, the next question is always "What would you like to drive today?" With standard or mid-size reservations, I've had Avalons, Explorers, Edges, and a Tahoe. I've been trying to snag the QX56, but it's always gone by the time I get there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.