Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars with built in wifi hotspot

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Except that a large portion of those 3.8 million square miles don't really matter, because they don't have any people in them. Verizon (for example) covers about 95% of the US population with LTE (303M out of 319M).

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/LTE/Overview.html
As someone who lives in one of those areas that you think "don't matter", I would disagree. 5% of the population is still 15 million people.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
As someone who lives in one of those areas that you think "don't matter", I would disagree. 5% of the population is still 15 million people.
You can cover 95% of the US population by covering counties representing 37% of the country's land area. It just doesn't make business sense to nearly triple the area covered in order to increase your addressable market by 5%.

For that matter, you can cover 80% of the US population by covering 14% of US counties. Or, to take an extreme example, half the US population lives in counties that make up 3% of the area of the US. The bulk of the land mass of the US is largely empty.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:33 am

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
You can cover 95% of the US population by covering counties representing 37% of the country's land area. It just doesn't make business sense to nearly triple the area covered in order to increase your addressable market by 5%.

For that matter, you can cover 80% of the US population by covering 14% of US counties. Or, to take an extreme example, half the US population lives in counties that make up 3% of the area of the US. The bulk of the land mass of the US is largely empty.
We're talking about putting wifi in cars. Cars move. More specifically, cars move through areas that some here seem to think don't matter.

It's a gimmick right now. In 10 or 20 years, it'll be the norm.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by DonCarpenter
We're talking about putting wifi in cars. Cars move. More specifically, cars move through areas that some here seem to think don't matter.

It's a gimmick right now. In 10 or 20 years, it'll be the norm.
Cars do move, and there are terrestrial wireless networks along the roads where significant numbers of cars move. Where there are very few people, there are also very few cars.

I would bet a great deal of money that the population coverage of wireless data networks won't be meaningfully different in 2025 than it is today, without large government transfers from people who live in less remote areas (which are the only reason those areas have fixed telecom services, or electricity, for that matter).
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:05 pm

TMobile has unlimited domestic LTE data and voice, and unlimited international 2g data for only $49 month when part of a family plan package. Works great in cities, not so great along rural interstates.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
I picked up a CLA250 from SIXT at ATL with built in wifi. but no account so it doesn't actually have internet. Just a data point. After national sent me a bill for 3k for damage i didn't do while using a free day on Christmas day I'm trying to cut my business to them as much as possible.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:16 am

I know this is an old thread but still useful info for others. Silver Car has built in Wifi in their Audi A4s. Check if they are at the major airports you will be near. https://www.silvercar.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.