Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Additional drivers who are not present at the time of pickup

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Title says it all. Is it possible to add an additional driver who will not be present at the time the car is picked up? I'm renting a car and would like a coworker to be able to drive, but that coworker will be picked up after I drive out with the car.

If so, what is needed? Just name? Copy of drivers license?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:40 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Can't be done. You will have to go back to a location to add them.

Coworkers should be covered as authorized additional drivers though.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Wirelessly posted (galaxy tab: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.0.1418 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Yep against the rules, national has to see the drivers license. Can you add drivers to a national rental at enterprise locations?

I also have been to a couple f remote national locations in canada where they will leave the keys in the car for me (with the contract) if I arrive after they close, or another one where they have the contracts printed with the keys attached on the outside of the counter and just ask your name but no DL check (repeatedly too).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've added the driver's license info for the second driver to my reservation and not been asked to verify it at pickup, but this was a non-aisle location and my wife was out in the parking lot if I'd needed to get her info... not sure I'd rely on this to get around the issue.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:48 pm

If you are renting on a corporate code for your work, your coworker may be able to drive without being specifically added to the contract.

The OP never stated they were unable or unwilling to return to a national location to say that it is "Not possible" is a huge misnomer. The additional driver can easily be added after time of pickup by going to any national location.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
If you are renting on a corporate code for your work, your coworker may be able to drive without being specifically added to the contract.
I'm pretty sure my old company had similar wording for their corporate code.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks all. No corporate code - just the Emerald Club contract ID. Coworker will have to return to a location with me. Certainly possible in my case, just annoying.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

After all that, my coworker and I picked up a car from the ES and drove to the exit. I told them she'd need to be an authorized driver and was prepared to hand over her license also, and they said as long as we work together they didn't need her license or to add her to the rental. Just verified my license and CC as usual and waved us through.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:01 pm

I hate to tell you but they gave you bad info. The gate agent must have assumed you were using a corporate code as mentioned earlier. Your coworker isn't an automatic additional driver on a normal emerald club id res.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 4:32 am

Location: A place where I have just enough status to want more, but can't afford it!
Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
I hate to tell you but they gave you bad info. The gate agent must have assumed you were using a corporate code as mentioned earlier. Your coworker isn't an automatic additional driver on a normal emerald club id res.
Actually, that is not quite right. If your co-worker and you are both driving for business then there is no need to have them added to the agreement (although I like to add them still just in case). The same goes for family members living in your same household (who meet the standard driving age and requirements). See below for a snap shot from the Emerald Club T&C:

https://m.nationalcar.com/en_US/car-...ent/rules.html

“Additional Authorized Driver(s)” (AAD[s]) means any individual, in addition to Renter,
who; (i) has permission of the Renter to drive Vehicle and is either a member of Renter’s
immediate family (including same or opposite sex domestic partner) who permanently
resides with Renter, (ii) is a fellow employee who drives the Vehicle for business
purposes, (iii) is required by law, or (iv) is permitted by Owner or separate agreement
(i.e., Corporate, Tour or Emerald Club) to operate the Vehicle. All AADs must possess a
valid driver’s license and meet the minimum rental age.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:40 pm

I stand corrected! Also, what do people think about definition IV? This seems to imply that any Emerald club member an drive without being added to the contract?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:31 pm

So does this mean I can bring one of my parents with me and they can also drive the car without me wasting time going to the counter and adding them as additional drivers?
Would really love some clarification
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Title says it all. Is it possible to add an additional driver who will not be present at the time the car is picked up? I'm renting a car and would like a coworker to be able to drive, but that coworker will be picked up after I drive out with the car.

If so, what is needed? Just name? Copy of drivers license?
I won't say it happens like this every time, but I signed up for EC last week and the guy helping me at the counter added my wife as an additional driver using just her driver's license without her actually going into the rental office.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: MR Plat, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA Silver
Just tried this morning to add my wife as additional driver with her license but the guy required her to be present so had her drive around from the visitor parking lot. Kind of a hassle especially for a spouse.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:28 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Spouses are automatically covered if you're an Emerald Club member. They don't need to be added to the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.