Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Banned from Enterprise Holdings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by Often1
This is a really good point. CRM software looks at the positive and negatives of the customer relationship. Not just car rental, but air carriers and hotels.

If you are a routine complainer, you may not be worth the business. You may also not be taken seriously.
That is a good point - its the don't cry wolf idea - if you complain all the time, ask for points/miles/etc for every little thing, when something does go sideways - CX, etc you might not be taken as seriously
Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
One wonders how frequently he was requesting compensation and refunds and how frequently he was returning cars with problems.
I think you nailed it. Reading between the lines, it sounds like Enterprise believes the OP was intentionally damaging the cars in order to claim compensation (i.e. "the brakes in this car are terrible, it's dangerous, I want a discount on my bill").

I'm not at all saying that's what happened, but this is what the letter implies to me about Enterprise's thinking. They can't prove he's been damaging the cars (otherwise they'd do more than just cut him off), but they think he has, and hence have decided to stop renting to him.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL GE
Yeah great point, even Best Buy will flag habitual returns. I think there is a network for it even lol
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Was gone for the morning and just reading everyone's replies. Here is clarification on some points based on your comments:

Toyota Prius – Yes the vehicle did say maintenance required during the rental. I called customer service and was told not to worry about it even though I was on a long trip and it would be awhile before I got back to the origin terminal so by the time I got back I probably did go 1000 miles over their internal standard. Regarding the damage to the internal wheel well area they did pull up the service history and verified a prior renter had complained about a piece behind the bumper being loose and they had ordered a new bumper clip. The vehicle was put out to rent before this was replaced.

Mazda 3 – Vehicle had push button start. Went to start it one morning and it wouldn’t. They towed it to the dealership since I wasn’t by their maintenance facility. Dealer said the starter went bad. Local Enterprise location replaced the Mazda 3 with a Nissan Versa would 23000 miles. The vehicle they brought me had the battery and red brake light on. They told me that’s all they had available for exchange.

Nissan Versa – I did return this replacement vehicle 2 hours later when I got back to the airport I rented from, for the battery light being on and the brake light. Asked a station manager a week later since I frequent this location and was told the drive belt needed to be tightened and there was a problem with the emergency brake cable. (I guess this is the physical damage they referred to.)

Kia Soul – I was at an intersection the oil light came on and there was a snapping sound from the engine all within about 5 seconds. I did put about 2300 miles on this vehicle in a 2 week time period. I never had checked the oil on this vehicle, just as I don’t on other vehicles I rent. I figure when they rent it out to me it should be maintained and ready to go. Besides isn’t there a clause in the rental contract that you won’t service/maintain their vehicles without their permission?

I was renting 365 days a year for the past 2 years. Sometimes I would have more than one rental out at once due to business/family needs. In that time the physical damage I've caused is:
• Cracked 1 windshield and returned 1 with a chip
• Did blow one tire and damage a rim due to a large pothole I was unable to avoid.
• Did return a vehicle with some scuffs to a bumper.

Regarding mileage I have done several one ways using free days. Since I’m Executive Elite I’ll usually one way a luxury vehicle. With multiple authorized drivers on the contract we have put up to 3000 miles on a vehicle sometimes in the span of 3-4 days on a one way. They must be tired of this. On my rentals that I don’t one way I’ve been averaging about 1000 miles a week.

They also have never provided me copies of the supposed damage I’ve caused or proved that the damage wasn’t due to a mechanical failure; other than the damage I caused mentioned above.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
And btw I don't return the cars like they've been in a demolition derby. Maybe they are also annoyed I've used up 30 free rental days, and 9 1-2-Free days all on one ways that put high miles on the vehicle within a short time. Most of the one ways have been between LAS and MSP, a distance of around 1657 miles.

Last edited by Tony King; Feb 25, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Rental location based on frequency:

1. SGU
2. LAS
3. MSP
4. LAX
5. DTW
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:45 pm

So are you going to try to reverse this somehow - even though it seems pretty clear they are not interested - or just moving along?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

I would let the return agent know about any vehicle malfunctions, but I was not requesting reductions or other compensation for the majority. Over the past year I think they've granted 1 or 2 discount or refund concessions as a result of the vehicle quality.

EHI can keep their cars if they don't want to rent them to me, so no I'm not trying to reverse it at this time. Looking at other options now. Will either purchase another vehicle to meet my needs or rent from another agency. Been talking with the Station Manager at Sixt across the street from the LAS rental facility. Seems like they have mostly new Honda's, VW's, etc. I do have high status with them so maybe I'll give them a chance.

Last edited by Tony King; Feb 25, 2015 at 3:21 pm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
I worked for Enterprise for a little while and what you wrote here, in my experience, would never get you banned - and believe me, I saw renters that should in fact have been banned but never were. You mention you rent pretty much year round - most branches would bend over backwards to keep you as a customer...there has got to be more to this...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Cost of my rentals with my corporate contract ID was about $120 per week which included LDW/Taxes/Fees. Maybe they felt they're losing money on me at those rates and with my high mileage.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tony King
Cost of my rentals with my corporate contract ID was about $120 per week which included LDW/Taxes/Fees. Maybe they felt they're losing money on me at those rates and with my high mileage.
Did you find a way to avoid the back to back rental problem? Maybe that was part of it?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:54 pm

Sixt doesn't offer free days, either roundtrip or one way. They offer one-ways between LAS (corporate) and MSP (franchise), but for at least $1k a week. Sixt may meet some of your needs, but by no means all of them. I would recommend writing to them, explaining how you did here.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
It sounds like OP puts lots of miles on vehicles, taking legitimate advantage of the rental car company's unlimited miles terms. I am guessing hundreds of thousands of miles per year. With that many miles and rentals, mechanical issues, whether they existed prior to rental or during rental, are inevitable.

The rental car company doesn't have to rent cars with unlimited miles.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
OP, if I were you I'd get a status match from Hertz as soon as possible and get ready to pay more for rentals. Then use them until the inevitable ban. That's really all you can do at this point. The system really isn't made for someone who drives the cars 100,000 miles a year.

Or buy a car.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:50 pm

Hertz has more one way flexibility, both paid and free. They also have an excessive mileage policy, as described in the respective thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.