Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

So City of Toronto parking enforcement can write tickets for expired plates...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:43 pm
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)

... and will—multiple times within minutes—if your Dodge Ram 1500 rental taken from the Aisle from National at YYZ has expired tags.

A reminder to check if the vehicle you are renting has valid tags.

Cheers!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Those tickets are National's problem, not yours - assuming there was no parking violation....but it will be a pain arguing this point with National when they try and bill you for the tickets.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Those tickets are National's problem, not yours - assuming there was no parking violation....but it will be a pain arguing this point with National when they try and bill you for the tickets.
Oh I know. I have already switched out the vehicle to National at YYZ. They took the tickets to pay, comped the full rental, and gave me some credits for my trouble. Have the manager's card and a copy of my return alongside the tickets in case it comes back to me.

Now if they show up on my CC, I will get angry, but until then I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.

PS, here is what the ticket looks like:

Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I got a ticket in Bumfuk, CA for a missing front plate while parked in a shopping mall lot; the company took care of it, even signing an acknowledgement I typed up.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by briantoronto

PS, here is what the ticket looks like:
Ah yes, back in the day before they were fully computerized I collected enough of these pasted on my Florida registered personal car one summer to cover my bedroom wall. I don't think there is another city in the world so aggressive with parking tickets - along with endless road construction, it's what makes Toronto so "unique"
Old Jan 24, 2015, 10:43 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
I drove from New York to Ohio to Toronto to New York. And I was nailed with this in Ohio before I got to Toronto.

I was ticketed in Columbus, Ohio - of all places. I was literally walking to my car after making a business call. Car was parked at a city meter. Meter Checker was writing a ticket. I said, "What's going on? The meter has plenty of time left?"

Checker said, "Your tag is expired".

I said, "Nope, I renewed it but forgot to put the sticker on. Here (reaching into my glove box), Here is the Sticker!"

Checker said, "It has to be prominently displayed on the Plate"

I pull off the backing, and past it on the plate. I say, "There, it's displayed".

Meter Checker hands me the ticket and says, "It was not displayed when I wrote the ticket. Have a nice day"

Oh well, he probably saved me from getting two or three tickets in Toronto.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:02 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
I turned down an expired Ontario-tag Jeep Wrangler at YUL last week for this reason. The attendant assured me it wouldn't be a problem but I didn't want the hassle of dealing with it.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

I think what made this especially easy for them to ticket is that it expired in December 2014, and now it is 2015. All 2014 stickers were black, the 2015 ones are green. A quick glance shows it is out of date.

Glad it was a truck so had commercial plates where the sticker is on the front not rear plate. I imagine if it was a car with the sticker on the rear plate I would have been pulled over by the police.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.