Wiki Posts
Search

Back to back rentals...two credits?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Back to back rentals...two credits?

I'm well aware that if you turn in a rental at 2:00PM and pick up a new rental later that same day, you don't get credit for the second rental. They credit you for the days, but not the rental. This is to discourage gaming the system to increase the number of rentals.

However, last week, the opposite happened for me.

I booked a rental with a return time of 2:00PM. I booked another rental at the same location with a pickup time of 2:30PM. These were two legitimate bookings and I fully intended to not get a "rental credit" for the second rental.

I returned the second rental the next day at a different location.

To my surprise, I earned Emerald Club and 1-2-Free credits for both rentals.

Was this because I returned the second rental to a different location?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:35 am

My guess is 2pm end of old rental vs. 2.30pm start of new rental helped. If reservation were for 2pm pick-up rather than 2.30, credit might have not happened. And yes, the second (one-way) rental seemed different from the first (round-trip) rental.

But who can attest to NOT getting credits for the silly reserved back-to-back rentals? I know we all try to preemptively mix'n'match - but who has definitely observed credit forfeiture for silly reservations? A slightly different question: a few days after completion of rental, it seems hard to get "Emerald Club customer service" to address over the phone any legitimate adjustment in your "1-2-free activities". Certainly, the first person to take your call can't adjust your 1-2-free. Who (actually) can? Who can you ask to get your call directed to?

Last edited by SinglePapa2; Jan 22, 2015 at 9:43 am
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:55 pm

I have rented back to back reservations and NOT received credit for the 2nd rental. Aww, did your first rental start at a different location than where you returned and re-rented? If you do a series of 1 way rentals back to back you will still get credit (I'm guessing this is a system fluke).
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
I have rented back to back reservations and NOT received credit for the 2nd rental. Aww, did your first rental start at a different location than where you returned and re-rented? If you do a series of 1 way rentals back to back you will still get credit (I'm guessing this is a system fluke).
First rental was picked-up and dropped-off at the same location.

I intentionally booked a 30 minute block between the drop-off time of the 1st rental and the pick-up time of the second rental, just because my schedule for the day was up in the air. My second rental was a pick-up/drop-off at the same location.

Upon drop-off of the first rental, I walked into the rental car terminal, used the restroom and made a phone call. I walked back out to the Executive Aisle, grabbed a car (Camaro, regretfully.) and left.

The next day, I called National and said my travel plans changed and was going to drop off my current (the second) rental at a different location, 200+ miles away.

I dropped the car off later that day at the other location. No issues.

I checked my account the next day and had two rental credits and two 1-2-Free credits.

No complaints here!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
You should only get 2 credits on BTB rentals if:

1. First rental had a different pickup city (ie OW rental)
2. Second rental occurs on a different day (ie drop off 1159pm, pickup 1201am)
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
You should only get 2 credits on BTB rentals if:

1. First rental had a different pickup city (ie OW rental)
2. Second rental occurs on a different day (ie drop off 1159pm, pickup 1201am)
AND OF COURSE YOU MEAN "or". And we'll assume you mean 1-2-free...

I wonder if 1-2-free got triggered in OP's fact by sheer luck of the Reservation operator somehow making out an entirely "different" contract to convert the second rental into a one-way
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
AND OF COURSE YOU MEAN "or". And we'll assume you mean 1-2-free...

I wonder if 1-2-free got triggered in OP's fact by sheer luck of the Reservation operator somehow making out an entirely "different" contract to convert the second rental into a one-way

Yes, 1 or 2. Thanks for asking as it wasn't clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.