Error when trying to reserve

Old Dec 8, 2014, 4:54 am
Original Poster

I'm looking to sort out a car for our trip next summer, however can't seem to get any to show up. Am I trying to book too far in advance? Keep getting the error: "No vehicle available for this station"

Can anyone else check to see if they get the error?

I'm looking at picking up in Toronto (I've tried all the locations, but ideally want the "Yonge And Bloor, ON, Canada( YTOC11 )" location, dropping off in New York ("Manhattan W 44th St") - from 30th July 2015-8th August 2015.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I'm guessing they have cars, but none available for one way to the US. If you change the pickup to YYZ and dropoff to JFK, there are cars available.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Hmm interesting. Guess it makes sense they'd only allow one way cross borders for the larger hubs. I'll have another look, thanks
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Sometimes they don't even allow JFK to Manhattan especially last minute.

I did YUL LGA earlier this year because the website wouldn't allow drop off in Brooklyn. Went to Brooklyn and asked how much to return there and they checked and confirmed no fee before they closed the contract out.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:06 pm

FYI, for one-ways like this, Canada to deep inside the US, they may try to force you to take a car with US plates. It may not be a nice, low mileage car that would have been your first choice from EA/ES. It's one thing if you're using a free day, but if you're actually paying $211/day+tax or whatever, it might seem like a bad deal.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Not sure I can do much about though?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:36 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by oafcmetty
Thanks. Not sure I can do much about though?
Nope, nothing at all unfortunately. The good news is they shouldn't be too strict about making you take the reserved class of car. On my last Canada-US one way (on a free day) I was given my choice of any US plated car they had. The choices were a Kia Sorrento (which I took), a Yukon XL, a Captiva, a Jeep Patriot, and a Fiat 500.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Are the other companies any better? Or likely to face similar issues wherever I end up getting one from?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:53 pm

Are the other companies any better? Or likely to face similar issues wherever I end up getting one from?
It's a huge logistical headache for Canadian cars to be dropped off in the US (and vice versa), so I wouldn't expect the experience to be any different elsewhere. But I don't have any firsthand experience either.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

The other thing I was thinking was hiring a car from Toronto and dropping it off in Niagra (Canadian side) - we're doing an overnight stay. Then getting a new car the next day (US side) and dropping it off in NY.

However that'd mean crossing the border on foot, and I don't know if they even let you do that?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:10 pm

The other thing I was thinking was hiring a car from Toronto and dropping it off in Niagra (Canadian side) - we're doing an overnight stay. Then getting a new car the next day (US side) and dropping it off in NY.

However that'd mean crossing the border on foot, and I don't know if they even let you do that?
I think you can but that's way more hassle than it's worth, especially in the winter!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

It'd be July
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I'm looking to sort out a car for our trip next summer, however can't seem to get any to show up. Am I trying to book too far in advance? Keep getting the error: "No vehicle available for this station"

Can anyone else check to see if they get the error?

I'm looking at picking up in Toronto (I've tried all the locations, but ideally want the "Yonge And Bloor, ON, Canada( YTOC11 )" location, dropping off in New York ("Manhattan W 44th St") - from 30th July 2015-8th August 2015.

Any thoughts?
Are you using a discount code ? Because availability also depends if using a code or not. I get availability in April for a bunch of vehicles in Chicago where i need one and none using a discount code that I am entitled to use actually.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.