Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maserati Ghibli coming to National

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Was available last night at MCO B Side in white for $100 alongside a '15 Stingray Convertable for $75... I was actually surprised to see the Stingray as only $75 and had I been on a one-day rental I probably would have taken it.
Yeah, that's not bad for the Stingray -- I think I paid $125/day as an upcharge at IAD when they first came out...
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So I picked up a Ghibli at BOS the other day...

I had a LCAR res and the greeters offered me an X3 which I almost grabbed. I had some highway driving to do and it's winter conditions in new england in January. They tell me, don't worry the Ghibli has AWD, and I was halfway planning to take it anyway so I go for the upsell. Everything is great and I really enjoy the car the first evening.

The next morning I wake up at my hotel in Maine and it has snowed. I still have to go see my client who is about 100 miles down the road. I jump in the Ghibli and immediately notice extreme stopping distances, I actually slide right through a red light! Anyway I cautiously drive to see my remotely located client up the interstate. I notice that anytime there is snow on the road the Ghibli literally starts sliding to either side and it's extremely nerve racking to drive it.

It's one of the worst drives I've experienced (and the weather really wasn't that bad) and once I make it to my meeting I take a look at the tires.... Continental Contisportcontact 5's:

"The ContiSportContact 5 is Continental’s Max Performance Summer tire. Initially developed to match the sporty driving characteristics of Mercedes-Benz SLK350 roadsters, the ContiSportContact 5 is designed to combine short braking distances and good cornering traction with reduced fuel consumption and good treadwear. However like all summer tires, they are not intended to be driven in near freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

So anyway, I think it's cool that National rents the Ghibli S Q4, and would happily pay the upcharge again if I was not driving in winter conditions. I'm PISSED that they would rent a car out with Max performance summer tires on it, in the middle of winter, in new england, and even advise me "Don't worry it has AWD." They seriously put me in danger! The temperature was 0 degrees F when I picked up the car!!! Any thoughts?
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Wirelessly posted (galaxy tab: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.0.1418 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

So I went out of my way to find a manager, pointed out the issue. They told me they've only had the cars for two weeks and the tires could be a mistake from masarati. They thanked me and cut my upgrade fee in half (3 day rental, I did 800 miles). I'm not sure if that's sufficient compensation or not since I never would have taken the Ghibli over an X3 had I known about the summer tires.

Last edited by Nitehawk; Jan 11, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
Rented it out of PHX for Christmas - Only 500 break in miles where on the ODO - I have some fun with it and it is funny how quiet the exhaust note is while inside but almost too loud if you listen when you are standing behind it and someone gives it a rev.
I've got a one day rental coming up at PHX. How much did that cost you? Might totally be worth it since the plan is to go drive around in the mountains. Unless I get too leadfooted and kill myself, of course.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
"Don't worry it has AWD."
Not a car expert. but my understanding is AWD doesn't make a car stop any faster than a FWD; it only improves your chances of not getting stuck in snow.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
SEA had a white one sitting in PS with a $100 tag tonight... the same greeter that let me take a Z4 xDrive from PS on an LCAR res back in October was working tonight, but no joy on the Ghibli without the upcharge (took a '14 XTS instead).
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Have people seen these around LAX, SAN, or SNA? Thinking of flying into one of these airports and wanted to try to get this car...
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:30 pm

Does anyone know if they allow one-way for Maserati between two locations where they both rent them? In this case, SAN and LAX.

Planning on renting this friday at SAN but need to return at LAX on the 4th....and want to rent them so bad...
Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
Have people seen these around LAX, SAN, or SNA? Thinking of flying into one of these airports and wanted to try to get this car...
I have seen the ghibli at SNA and LAX.. $100 up charge.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:52 am

Seen in LAS.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: National Executive Elite
I always see it in CLT
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:53 pm

has national stopped carrying the ghibli? trying to get one at LAX and phone agent said they don't carry maserati.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by ivyesq2012
has national stopped carrying the ghibli? trying to get one at LAX and phone agent said they don't carry maserati.

They do as far as I know. Been to LAX back in February and if it wasn't for a weekly rental I would of picked it up when I was there. It was on the premier section for $100

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.