National fails vs. Hertz

Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
Hertz points system is better then National, but EVERYTHING else, Hertz fails.
old cars, No loyalty recognition at all, forget about upgrades, horrible customer service, can wait for hour + for a car, and National free days are good for one ways, that's a major plus!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fresar
Hertz points system is better then National
Not for short-term renters on good corporate rates... I rent 1-2 days at a time and PCAR or LCAR at ~$35-$45/day, so I earn free days much quicker at National than Hertz... and I'll just barely make Exec Elite this year, so those days will be much more valuable as well.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
I must be really spoiled. Hertz usually gives me a nice Volvo. But then again, 95% of my rentals are at two locations, so they know me well.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
What trim level does Hertz order Volvos at? At National, "Nice" and "Volvo" don't go together, especially when they try to pass them off as GXAR (non-reservable class equal to or above LCAR depending on who you ask).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:28 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
What trim level does Hertz order Volvos at? At National, "Nice" and "Volvo" don't go together, especially when they try to pass them off as GXAR (non-reservable class equal to or above LCAR depending on who you ask).
I don't think that's a fair criticism. EAN orders most of them in Premier or Premier Plus trim (leather, sunroof, SXM, etc.), and usually adds on the Climate package too. I'll take one of those over a stripper LCAR ATS any day.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:40 pm

I'll take the ATS w/ RWD, OnStar Navigation, and an infotainment system that makes at least a little bit of sense (that may be the first time I've had anything good to say about CUE, but it's justified when compared to the Volvo's infotainment)... at least if I don't need to make use of the back seat. I'm not a huge ATS fan mainly because I don't think its size justifies it as an LCAR (along with the Audi A3 I've seen popping up lately) but I will gladly take even a 2.5L ATS over an S60, V60, or XC60... even as a PCAR I wouldn't chose an S60/V60 over anything other than a Maxima or maybe Avalon.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
It's mix. If they try to give me a lower trim I get them to change it.

I have tried National, Budget, Avis and have been disappointed with the cars.
But perhaps it's just a specific location. I get the best cars at YVR/YYZ, not as good in YEG.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
This is a pretty well-known challenge that some have with the National program. If you're a monthly or biweekly renter - or perhaps even just have a ton of NYC or other high-dollar rentals - the revenue-based program at Hertz probably works out to your favor.

For someone with more of a mix of medium-to-short rentals, the per-rental system comes out ahead. These days I do a little bit of both programs, and I have no problems using National Free Days for 1-way SUV rentals whereas I seem to always run into glitches redeeming Hertz points, even when I'm not on a published peak date/location.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold,Marriott PP,Hilton Diamond, National EX, Hertz PC
I am in the same boat as some of the others, a lot of long rental but could not be happier with the switch from Hertz to National. A lot better selection of cars and when you do use your free days you can use them for nicer cars. Just used some old hertz points the other day, reserved a premium car, got a plan Maxima with 51k miles, and this is as a PC. Hertz also changed from a very few black out days to A LOT. Try getting a free day in FL, almost the whole year is blacked out.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jm62
I am in the same boat as some of the others, a lot of long rental but could not be happier with the switch from Hertz to National. A lot better selection of cars and when you do use your free days you can use them for nicer cars. Just used some old hertz points the other day, reserved a premium car, got a plan Maxima with 51k miles, and this is as a PC. Hertz also changed from a very few black out days to A LOT. Try getting a free day in FL, almost the whole year is blacked out.
My thoughts as well. I don't really want to earn points in a program where I can redeem for a car I don't want to drive even if it was free.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: UAL 1K 2MM
I just had a horrid experience at LAS Hertz. I had to turn 3 cars around and checkout for various things such as them being tagged for maintenance and expired tags. Tough to believe that do not have a better system to catch what cars should not be sent up for checkout.

Not to mention I seem to be getting higher mileage dirtier cars lately.

UAL 1K gets me Hertz Presidents Club next year. No more need to grind Hertz status.

Heading to SLC right now. Will cancel my Hertz car and try out National.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 1:27 pm

You've got things backwards... National LAS is a top-notch stations that ACTUALLY OPERATES THEIR ER SECTIONS, while National SLC is a shady franchise that repeatedly charges people for the same vehicle damage over and over again.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 2MM
You've got things backwards... National LAS is a top-notch stations that ACTUALLY OPERATES THEIR ER SECTIONS, while National SLC is a shady franchise that repeatedly charges people for the same vehicle damage over and over again.
Glad to hear this because I thought National LAS was a great place and SLC.... Not so much.

Would the goal be to try to keep to ISLE locations with National? How do I know the eh from the not so eh?

Also, not sure if you read my bad LAS experience was with Hertz. Not National. I walked up to LAS National after returning my Hertz car from my trip and they were great! Showed me around. Explained how the system worked, etc.

The warm fuzzy feeling did not feed over to SLC.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
For what it's worth, it's been reported by GW McLintock over in the Hertz forum in the past that basically everyone in SLC is a franchise, and as such YMMV (but generally from bad to worse unless you're a local like he is), so that's hardly representative of National system-wide, franchises included.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 8:37 pm

Hertz at SLC is corporate. Hence he got cars with CO, TX, TN, etc plates. Others have posted that in cities with a lot of independent licensees, ex CMH, MKE, SLC, DSM, etc., Hertz and Enterprise are usually corporate, and hence seem to be more reliable and consistent options.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.