Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Executive, but renting smaller than Midsize?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

I'm Executive-level with National, and my profile on nationalcar.com is set so that a compact car is the default rental option. Usually it's just a few dollars less than a midsize, but for an upcoming 2-day trip, the price difference is pretty substantial.

If I rent a compact, do I have to go into the check-in area and rent a car like a non-Emerald Club member would?

Or can I just proceed as I usually do and pick a car on the lot (even just the regular Emerald Aisle section) and drive off?

Midsize and larger cars are marked as "Executive Eligible" on the car class selection screen online, but that's confusing; what if I just want a smaller car and don't care about using the Executive Aisle (which isn't much better than Emerald Aisle anyhow)?

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:54 pm

You could choose your car from the Compact section.

However, as Executive, you reserve a car, and pay one size less. So if you reserve a midsize, you pay the compact price, and can choose an upgrade from ES.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Check the price difference all the way through on the confirmation page, not just one class selection. Midsize should show up at the compact price here. If you are already doing this, you are seeing the Economy price when you click through to the confirmation page for a Compact rental. If you reserve compact you can select from ER-Compact at ER locations or go to the counter at non-ER locations.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 8:52 pm

You do not get the discount renting a midsize as an executive. Midsize is the floor-level for discount pricing. Fullsize prices as midsize and midsize prices as midsize not compact.

OP can pick from ER-Compact with a compact reservation. You should not be taking a vehicle from the EA/ES unless you have a midsize or higher reservation.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL GE
As a firefighter it baffles me why anyone would want to drive a compact car.

However, if you don't find what you like - I have had OK luck asking an employee for a specific vehicle.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You can definitely snag a car off the Compact aisle without going inside. A more common application of this is an Exec member booking "up" a category or two...SUV, van, or even confirming a premium/luxury car. No need to walk inside to talk to anyone there.

Whenever I book a higher category than midsize, I always look at the Exec area as well as my confirmed category. But obviously with a compact confirmation, you're supposed to just take from the Compact aisle.

The mechanics of this were a bit confusing when I first started renting from National. I used to select compact in my reservation and apply a 1-category upgrade coupon, thinking that would effectively be midsize...and thus EA/ES eligible. An exit guard told me that technically I'm not supposed to do that...since the difference was always $1-2/day, I stopped doing it to avoid having to discuss it at the exit. Logically it feels like I should have been able to do that, but I don't really know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.