Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

One-way rentals limited to cars w/ out-of-state plates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist

I checked in via counter today to add my dad as an add'l driver. (He'll be driving the one-way himself using my free day.)

The lady said I can only take a car with out-of-state plates. When I checked in with the EA attendant, he walked us to several cars--saying we can take those cars.

I pointed a Camry with in-state plates to the attendant and he OK'd taking that car.

As far as I know, there isn't a policy limiting you to certain cars in the Executive aisle. Rather, the local branch seems to prefer you not take certain cars "out of their inventory." Correct?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: Dust...
What location was this?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by eethan
I checked in via counter today to add my dad as an add'l driver. (He'll be driving the one-way himself using my free day.)

The lady said I can only take a car with out-of-state plates. When I checked in with the EA attendant, he walked us to several cars--saying we can take those cars.

I pointed a Camry with in-state plates to the attendant and he OK'd taking that car.

As far as I know, there isn't a policy limiting you to certain cars in the Executive aisle. Rather, the local branch seems to prefer you not take certain cars "out of their inventory." Correct?
It's probably a franchise location. They get to play by a different set of rules. Were you in MKE or SLC? I believe those are two that come to mind. That is where you will see that behavior. That's why I no longer rent from National in MKE. It's a pain but they are a pain in the a$$ and never go above and beyond for the customer. Ever...

-A
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL GE

As mentioned some local stations only allow corporate cars for one ways. They sometimes are owned or partnered with a dealer and need to keep their stock local thus their cars can't become part of the national inventory.

This is why you never ever turn a round-trip rental into a one way without calling. They may charge you to truck the car back.. :O
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by pragakhan
As mentioned some local stations only allow corporate cars for one ways. They sometimes are owned or partnered with a dealer and need to keep their stock local thus their cars can't become part of the national inventory.

This is why you never ever turn a round-trip rental into a one way without calling. They may charge you to truck the car back.. :O
If you have a corporate rate, I actually never call in when I need to change return location or return date. Yes, I am renting almost always from a local franchise. National's reservation line seems to be outsourced and they often do something that makes the system recalculate the price and I'll end up with something higher rather than the fixed corporate rate. Car rental location always know how to do it correctly and were able to undo what the reservation line did.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by Anaom
It's probably a franchise location. They get to play by a different set of rules. Were you in MKE or SLC? I believe those are two that come to mind. That is where you will see that behavior. That's why I no longer rent from National in MKE. It's a pain but they are a pain in the a$$ and never go above and beyond for the customer. Ever...

-A
This was in SJC. Are you guys saying that franchisees get to set the rules--i.e. they pick the car to give me as long as it's the car type I booked? How do you identify a location is franchised?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:28 pm

This was in SJC. Are you guys saying that franchisees get to set the rules--i.e. they pick the car to give me as long as it's the car type I booked? How do you identify a location is franchised?
The location owns their cars, so they don't want them going else where. Like someone else mentioned, they are usually owned by a dealer or close partnership with a dealer. So they try to give you one of the corporate owned cars that they may have on the lot. You could end up getting a good upgrade as they will do anything to get rid of those cars from their lot.

You can tell a few ways.

Usually as soon as you walk on the lot, you will only see 1 or 75% of one make of cars. The one I've rented from had almost 100% GM cars, so you had a sedan/compact choice and 2 SUV model choices.

Also when leaving they will ask you questions to the point of harassment about bring the car back to their location, having to sign a damage waver (I haven't even seen one of these anywhere else with National), etc.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:29 pm

How do you identify a location is franchised?
Asking is the only way I know of.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by zerolife
If you have a corporate rate, I actually never call in when I need to change return location or return date. Yes, I am renting almost always from a local franchise. National's reservation line seems to be outsourced and they often do something that makes the system recalculate the price and I'll end up with something higher rather than the fixed corporate rate. Car rental location always know how to do it correctly and were able to undo what the reservation line did.
Yes, our contract ID for one ways is $79.00/Day which is more than double our daily rate. With unlimited miles, depending on the vehicle chosen.

For instance if I choose a Standard SUV the rate drops to $64.00/Day but with 0 free miles @40 cents a mile.

Coincidentally I take our CID out and it jumped up to $211.25/Day with unlimited miles. That non-unlimited standard SUV? $360.00/Day with unlimited miles.

It never makes any sense, but the fact that you have locations that are reverting the one-way rental back to the round-trip rates is fantastic, but I would keep it to yourself
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:44 pm

They can indeed pick the car for you and it doesn't even have to be in the class you reserved or higher. As others mention, franchisees will do anything to put you in a corporate car to one way out and will not allow their cars out of their system.

I had a one way out of BIL (franchise) and had to drive an ICAR on an FCAR res and they REFUSED to compensate me in any manner. Since it was a freeday I couldn't even make them recalculate my rate to a lower class.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:17 am

A few other ways that suggest a National location is a franchise:

They do not accept the FL driveout. However, some franchises do.

The cars have almost all in-state plates. Corporate stores, especially in large cities, have a random mix.

If they downgrade you to take a corporate car one-way, even if the rate is the same, perhaps try negotiating for a free tank of gas?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
I noticed something also -

If you get to a location and they have signage that redirects you to another aisle or "ask a representative" if you are renting one-way. This is because you'll find that they own "their" cars and they want to make sure they come back.

I don't know how they'd handle it if you booked it as round trip, but called them up mid-trip to change to a one-way. I'd imagine there'd be some way they can get "their" car back, but maybe they would just tell you "no" or offer to have someone come swap the car out with you at a nearby location.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by ohange
I noticed something also -

If you get to a location and they have signage that redirects you to another aisle or "ask a representative" if you are renting one-way. This is because you'll find that they own "their" cars and they want to make sure they come back.

I don't know how they'd handle it if you booked it as round trip, but called them up mid-trip to change to a one-way. I'd imagine there'd be some way they can get "their" car back, but maybe they would just tell you "no" or offer to have someone come swap the car out with you at a nearby location.
They'll have you come in and swap for a corp car, if they have one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.