Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for Roadside Assistance, Towing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Paying for Roadside Assistance, Towing?

Just a word of warning regarding charges you could be liable for if you elect to use National's' roadside assistance should you have any operational problems (even if the car was like as you drove off the lot and you call them five minutes down the road). In any event, just go back to National at your own inconvenience. I tried to have them be inconvenienced, but it didn't work out that way. Read on...

Picked up a car Monday at closing time from my local National for a quick trip of about 275 miles each way over two days. Drove about 200 miles to my hotel for the first nights hotel stay. When I started the car Tuesday morning, I received a low pressure alarm from the dash board. RR tire is at 31 psi, all other 33 psi. I proceed to my first meeting and upon arrive (~20 miles), I am down to 26 psi. Over the course of the day the pressure keeps dropping, I driver slower and slower, with caution. I finally reach my hotel, at, right adjacent to an airport, and safely park the car with about 20 psi in the tire. I call National, and they said to put the mini-spare on. I said (1) i don't want a mini spare, and (2) I still have ~200 miles to go, and a mini spare is good for no more than 50 miles.

I requested they change out my car at their convenience (I am already at my hotel working so if it is three hours, that is fine). They asked me to drive it and I said I no longer felt safe (true). For them to switch cars, they require a tow truck. I am warned that unless there is mechanical failure of the vehicle, I would be responsible for the tow charge. I described to the agent repeatedly that the tire was flat the car unsafe to drive, and for him to tell me if that was a mechanical failure or not. He would not comment UGH! So not wanting to get stuck with the bill, I said they could come out, put the mini-spare on or add air to the tire, then I would drive to the airport to swap cars. There would be a $50 charge for them to do that for me, I was told. I was blown away. I rented a car with a slow leaking tire, and then they leave all cost, inconvenience, etc. on me when they are the ones that gave me a bum tire. I just said to forget it, forget everything, I would figure it out using my AAA.

I received a survey invite in my email shortly after hanging up. I clearly stated the facts and my disappointment. Not one day later the regional manager apologized to me and said they agent could have had some better training, perhaps even being prepared to define a mechanical failure and note that any tire problem is actually the renting parties responsibility, he also comped me a free day rental credit (of which I already have too many to use and lose the at the years end, but was nonetheless grateful). [KUDOS to National for the quick response. There is a reason I choose to pay more and pass not one but two Enterprise rental locations on my way to the closest National rental!!!]

The take away is that I will joining the group that does a tire inspection when selecting their rental cars going forward. I was previously just looking for damage, fuel level, and built-in Bluetooth.

Any one else get caught off-guard by these potential charges when you had a rental car?

Last edited by uclalum; Aug 29, 2014 at 2:08 am Reason: add Kudos
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You drive a car for 200 miles when you notice a slow air leak the next morning; a leak that could have occurred the night before on your drive to the hotel. Then you go about your business all day until the car is no longer safe to drive in your opinion. You then expect National to jump through hoops to repair or trade you out, at no charge or inconvenience to you? I realize you had business to attend to. But still, it seems like you waited until the situation was critical before dumping it into National's lap. Would it have been possible to add air to the tire after your meeting(s) and drive to the nearest location (assuming it's at the airport next door) before settling in at your hotel for the day?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
This is a risk/fear that lingers in the back of my mind when renting a car from anywhere, but more so with National as I certainly get complacent with their usually great service, and omit to inspect basic things. Even if I have primary CDW/LDW with my CC, I'd hate the hassle of a car breaking down far from a National location or in the middle of nowhere especially when it's not my fault.

When I've needed roadside assistance, I've just used the car manufacturer's roadside assistance which is complimentary for a certain amount of years on new cars. I shake my head when I see the EAN roadside assistance number on key tags because it's a money grab as you've experienced, and they take advantage of people who are in the heat of the moment and need help.

I'm not sure how your situation got resolved, but I would have called roadside assistance from the manufacturer, and they would have done a quick check on the tire and might have fixed/patched it on the spot (I once hit a pot hole with my personal car, and that's what they tried to do but the laceration was too big), or swapped it with the spare and you're on your way. I'm glad that National eventually took care of you, but I agree that the initial person you spoke with could have been a bit more trained/professional because "we may or may not charge you 50$" is simply not acceptable.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Marriott Bonfire Titanium, Hilton Gold, United Premier Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by plagwate
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You drive a car for 200 miles when you notice a slow air leak the next morning; a leak that could have occurred the night before on your drive to the hotel. Then you go about your business all day until the car is no longer safe to drive in your opinion. You then expect National to jump through hoops to repair or trade you out, at no charge or inconvenience to you? I realize you had business to attend to. But still, it seems like you waited until the situation was critical before dumping it into National's lap. Would it have been possible to add air to the tire after your meeting(s) and drive to the nearest location (assuming it's at the airport next door) before settling in at your hotel for the day?
Leaks or pressure variations can occur for many reasons, and may only show under certain conditions (ambient temp, temp variations, because it feels like it, etc.). A 31 psi indication in my book isn't even cause for concern considering the rest were at 33, so yes, I would have driven to work that day and not even worry about it; I would have very little reason to believe it would drop any further at that point. What would you have done? "Uh hey guys, I'm going to be late, my car lost a whopping 2 psi in a tire and I'm going to get flamed on FT if I don't correct it right now." If anyone came up to me with that excuse (minus the FT part, of course), I wouldn't be able to take them seriously anymore. Again, pressures vary all the time for many reasons.

I give money to National, I expect a serviceable car in return which will safely get me to my destination. If the leak developed overnight through no apparent fault of my own, I'd absolutely expect them to resolve the situation on their dime. Besides, sooner or later that tire will need to be fixed, and sooner or later someone might need roadside assistance to fix it. Why not both right now and save everyone some grief?

I agree that adding air wouldn't have hurt to see if that would fix it, but we don't know the exacts or if it would solve the leak issue at all. We could reasonably expect it to delay the issue, but on a long drive back it's not a risk I'd take.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:20 am

Interesting view on using the manufacturers service - is this the recommended approach? Lets say the car suffers a mechanical failure - would you call National, or the manufacturers service line?

I can't see how the manufacturers service would be useful - surely you just want another rental vehicle ASAP which they won't provide?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.