Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Need Assistance Quick: National just called and told me no vehicle available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Assistance Quick: National just called and told me no vehicle available

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL GE
Now I don't feel so bad holding two or three reservations
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
The fact that you can reserve a vehicle does not mean that there is a physical vehicle to be had at a given location. That said, people check vehicles in and out at all times.
I was referring to the statement she made saying that I shouldn't have been able to book and there was a "glitch" because of my emerald club status which allowed me to book the car.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:50 am

I would have absolutely no problem with refundable pre-pay on rental cars as long as it ensured to a much higher degree than is currently available that I will have a car in my booked class of service waiting for me upon arrival and that there is some recourse and responsibility of the agency to make it right if there is not, extending as far as upgrade to the next higher available car class even if that puts you in a WXAR on an ECAR res) along with non-trivial compensation for downgrades dependent on the number of classes you're dropped (a 1-day rental voucher for ever day you're in a downgrade of 2-classes or more, 50% discount for 1-class, as well as concessions for high-mileage, "beaters", or non-standard types such as cargo vans). If absolutely no car is available, the agency should be liable for your local travel through other reasonable means (most likely Taxi, shuttle, or car hire) for either the duration of the rental period or as long as it takes for them to get a car to you (NOT for you to get BACK to their location to collect a car).

I'm not sure how pre-pay would work for those redeeming free rentals on credits. I'm sure you weren't the only one.

What about those who were redeeming free days for one-ways? There might not be that much "local" travel to cover, with few practical alternatives for what those customers were planning to do.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by qs933
It goes both ways, though. Note how strict airlines, and to a lesser extent hotels, are around changing and/or canceling reservations, especially on or near the reservation date.

Many here double-book an Aisle reservation and an Emerald Reserve reservation when a specific vehicle type is needed. If the Aisle has what you need, then the other reservation is cancelled, often while you're in the lot. National has allowed this without penalty.

I've rebooked my reservation up to the day I'm picking up the vehicle if the rate drops or my needs change. National has allowed this without penalty.

That being stated, I'd be upset if my "reservation" was not honored -- but, I also realize that it is a two-way street. If they tighten up over-booking, it will require tightening and/or enforcing rules around reservations.
I would be OK with a closing of some loop-holes. I've found just as much luck (with a corporate code, granted) making PCAR res and having them drop it down to an ICAR at the booth if I find something on the aisle I like as doing double reservations and canceling the unused one. Even if that went away, it wouldn't be the end of the world. I've never personally had a reservation not be honored, but I'd also rather guard against it than maintain a handful of ancillary perks. Most non-prepay hotel rates can be modified up to sometime the day of without penalty, yet are protected against oversells by WALK rules. There's a middle ground balance between flexibility and reservation protection... right now the car rental world is NOWHERE near it.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
I'm not sure how pre-pay would work for those redeeming free rentals on credits. I'm sure you weren't the only one.

What about those who were redeeming free days for one-ways? There might not be that much "local" travel to cover, with few practical alternatives for what those customers were planning to do.
That's why the alternatives need to be painful for the rental agency, such as cab fare to the closest station with a vehicle (any agency) along the renter's planned travels/route. It won't be perfect for the renter, but being walked isn't perfect for the hotel guest and IDB isn't perfect for the pax... the point is to be generously compensated to a degree that is painful enough for the rental agency to discourage overbooking to a high degree.
Old May 26, 2014, 11:24 pm

It's really unlikely that even the smallest station would expect to have no cars returned on any given day. I suspect that what happened to the OP is that the station discovered that it would likely wind up with more customers showing up on his rental date than cars to rent. So the station went off calling the folks with reservations telling them "no car available" to see which customers would shake it off (like folks who would no-show anyway) and which would complain. The intent all along was probably to "discover" cars for the folks who complained (once enough folks were "shook off"). The nightmare for a car rental agency is to have folks physically show up at the station when there are no cars. This practice-- though not pretty-- keeps that from happening. The key is to be perseverant.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Avis does have a pre-pay option. I am not sure what the cancellation rules are, or whether that guarantees you a car.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
I hate this company of Alamo, National, and Enterprise. Enterprise is still OK at some places, as its leftover from pre-acquisition days.

I don't buy the no car thing at associated company, Enterprise. Tell them to bring in a car from a neighborhood location if that is the problem. They can and should do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.