- Love/hate exterior design
- New interior
- Audio system/inputs
- Massive cargo space

CONS:

- Love/hate exterior design
- Driving softness
- Column-mounted shifter

CONCLUSION: The Chevy Tahoe, now slab-sided and with a modern interior. A decent FFAR rental.

I hadn't driven a Tahoe before, but was intrigued by the new '15. National's Tahoes are nicely equipped at the LT level, also coming with factory navigation.

Didn't like how this Tahoe drove, suspension felt soft and brake pedal was slightly spongy. Was the previous Tahoe like this as well?

Also, $54K for a Tahoe in the real world? Get out of here!!

Last edited by drzoidberg; Apr 23, 2014 at 5:13 am
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Another great review! Had a '14 Tahoe over the weekend, and put 500+ miles on driving through the mountains. Must say it is nice to see the Tahoe join the 21st century. Also nice to see the added cargo space. With 7 people, we were stuffing bags anywhere and everywhere. To answer your question, it drove just like you described. I will say the softer suspension is advantageous when driving through winding mountain roads, now on the DC Beltway, not so much.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KevinMD
Another great review! Had a '14 Tahoe over the weekend, and put 500+ miles on driving through the mountains. Must say it is nice to see the Tahoe join the 21st century. Also nice to see the added cargo space. With 7 people, we were stuffing bags anywhere and everywhere. To answer your question, it drove just like you described. I will say the softer suspension is advantageous when driving through winding mountain roads, now on the DC Beltway, not so much.
Thanks Kevin!

Did your '14 Tahoe come equipped with factory nav? I'm curious if there's any change in how National is optioning the new Tahoes.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:59 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Thanks Kevin!

Did your '14 Tahoe come equipped with factory nav? I'm curious if there's any change in how National is optioning the new Tahoes.
It was LT trim, and no factory nav. Did have DVD player. If you look at my Yukon ride report, the Tahoe looked almost exactly the same.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
And it's reportedly high margin too. You can understand why GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Land Rover, et. al. keep these monsters around.

On the other hand, many mid-size crossovers are $40K for a well-equipped (not even fully optioned) model...
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:50 am

Location: A place where I have just enough status to want more, but can't afford it!
Programs: National EE, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Didn't like how this Tahoe drove, suspension felt soft and brake pedal was slightly spongy. Was the previous Tahoe like this as well?

I've rented plenty of Tahoe's, Surbanans, Yukons, Yukon XLs, Escalades and Escalade XLs (all basically the same car, you gotta love GM. and they do tend to have a spongy feel to the brakes and tend to float with the soft suspension. In addition, the acceleration was lack luster with the base engines so I'm glad to hear it wasn't an issue in your car. I personally can't wait to try the 2015 model year, I'm so tired of renting the "same car" for the last 10 years

With that said, I'm glad to see National quickly getting the new model year of these cars, I was afraid we wouldn't see them for a few more months.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Just wanted to add my 2 cents from a recent rental

I just picked up one of these from OKC. Having rented the previous versions of the yukon, suburban, etc I can say this is a nice upgrade. The car felt old. I'd always get in one and look at the tag and be like "This is a 2014?"

The first thing I noticed while driving was how much quieter it is over te previous models. To the point that when I called my wife noticed when I called her. Usually its difficult to have a decent conversation while on the highway.

As for the drive, I think it handles much better than the older models. Maybe it's me but I definitely felt it was more responsive. But in the end it is a box on wheels so I don't have the highest expectations either

Anyways I agree with the shifter being in the column is archaic. Even the expedition has a center shifter and that vehicle is in need of a facelift as well.

There were two things I was excited about. 1) I had factory Nav with the LT trim. Not sure if this is new or not but if this continues, I'll keep looking for these. 2) The seat vibrates when you get close to something. It startled me at first until I realized what it was doing.

I'd also add that the cargo space seems less. I don't typically haul gear while traveling, but I think the cargo space is smaller since the seats fold flat.

Overall - I'll definitely rent again if I can find one.

-A
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
I am quite surprised how this car does not come with blindspot detection.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kxc262
I am quite surprised how this car does not come with blindspot detection.
It is offered as an option but I didn't see it on my LT model.

-A
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anaom
It is offered as an option but I didn't see it on my LT model.

-A
The driver's side has a single blind spot mirror, why GM didn't put one on the passenger side boggles me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.