Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Permanently Renting Instead of Owning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:03 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
I sort-of do this. I rented about 1/3 of the days last year for a total of about $2200 for an average of just under $18/day and $0.21/mile.

Originally Posted by Ritz
All-in since 2005. Renting from a large airport location - 1 year (360 day contracts) that renew monthly RAs automatically every 30 days. Rate negotiated directly with National, which includes a renewable weekly coupon multiplied by 4 to equate to a monthly discount that overall, is very competitive with the rates mentioned earlier in this thread.

Billed to my Amex Plat for points and coverage
Most CCs limit car rental coverage to shorter rentals (e.g. 15 days domestically, 30 internationally). AFAIK they often have clauses excluding back-to-back rentals.

Does Amex Plat cover continuous or back-to-back rentals of over 15 or 30 days?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I met a guy who does this in Chicagoland. He negotiated a great rate, is obviously at the top level of the rental company's rewards program, gets the Amex flat rate insurance of $24.95 (I think it is).

Never has to pay for washing or oil change or tires, just returns and swaps. And if the the short term he needs a passenger van or a pickup truck or a sports car for a date or whatever, he also can swap.

Next time I am thinking of buying a car, I am going to took at it.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: American Platinum, Delta
Originally Posted by ralfp
Most CCs limit car rental coverage to shorter rentals (e.g. 15 days domestically, 30 internationally). AFAIK they often have clauses excluding back-to-back rentals.
Its best to use two cards and switch between the two every other rental. Also, if you do not own a car and have collision and only have a non-owners policy then the credit card that you use automatically becomes primary for any damage to the vehicle.

I've been doing this for about 18 months now and I feel that its the best decision. The best part is that I am not maintaining something and paying for it to depreciate. This is especially true if you travel frequently.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
I sort-of do this. I rented about 1/3 of the days last year for a total of about $2200 for an average of just under $18/day and $0.21/mile.

I will work with the AMEX premium car rental insurance. It covers you for up to 42 days for 19.95 or 24.95. Since long term rentals are billed every 30 days, you are billed the fee for each month which covers you.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:08 am

Yes, they have 3 additional tiers beyond the standard coverage called Amex Premium Rental Car Protection.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
1) visit the city location at the Hilton and negotiate a flat monthly rate with one week breaks between each month
2) the one week breaks would be a weekly rental from Enterprise or the airport using a code and would ensure all rental count towards points and status
See, this is where the appeal of going with a rental all the time really starts to break down for me. I think in my town we have one National location (at our relatively small airport), and one Enterprise location (where I've never been impressed at all with the cars they have). (Actually, maybe there's an Enterprise at the airport too, never looked there.) The airport is inconvenient enough that even once a month would be something of a nuisance. And the reality is, we don't really have gaps where we don't need a car, so we'd pretty much be paying for the whole year.

There's still a part of me that finds the idea appealing, but I just haven't convinced myself that it makes reasonable financial sense for me to be willing to put up with the inconvenience.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Has anyone actually confirmed that credit cards' insurance benefits - whether the included version or the primary coverage for $24.95 per rental - are valid in perpetuity as long as you close out the rentals every 30 (or 42) days?

Figured there'd be a back-to-back clause in there. Seems too good to be true. Even if I'd read the fine print forwards and backwards, I'd probably go back and forth between two cards issued by two different banks - maybe an Amex and a Diner's.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
Has anyone actually confirmed that credit cards' insurance benefits - whether the included version or the primary coverage for $24.95 per rental - are valid in perpetuity as long as you close out the rentals every 30 (or 42) days?

Figured there'd be a back-to-back clause in there. Seems too good to be true. Even if I'd read the fine print forwards and backwards, I'd probably go back and forth between two cards issued by two different banks - maybe an Amex and a Diner's.
I verified my Chase Presidential Plus will provide primary LDW provided the contract is closed every 15 days - there is no restriction on back to back rentals
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:18 am

While I do own a car, it's 40 years old and British, so it's not exactly for day to day transportation. Otherwise, I get around by biking/walking (I live in DC and can walk to pretty much anything I need), Metro, Car2Go (Better than Zipcar for quick point to point drives), and renting when needed. I honestly don't see the point of owning a car, but I also don't live in the boonies. YMMV.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:17 am

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by multicamp
Its best to use two cards and switch between the two every other rental.
Now why didn't I think of that?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: DL GE
Originally Posted by tofromord
Your 3 year numbers are a bit low (and incomplete). Insurance seems low at $1,200 year - for someone with any accident history the rate on a new car could be well over $3 k per year. You also left off buying new tires (which need to have decent tread when the lease is over) and sales tax (a lot of jurisdications charge 6-8% sales tax). Plus you are paying that daily rate every day (365 days a year-so even when you are out of town on vacation or business). The base rate typically only allows 10-12,000 miles per year with extra charges over that.

Rentals from non-airport locations are often cheaper as they do not have the airport surcharges. Plus, as previously noted, you earn status for better cars (and free rentals, etc.)

All in all renting could be cheaper and more fun (and you only pay for the days you use it). One downside would be the need to swap out vehicles. And, of course, if you are married, best to not even attempt it as "she who must be obeyed" will undoubtedly have little enthusiasm for such an arrangement.
Just a few items.. My insurance for my LaCross is $660 for six months, of course it is one of three cars, house, umbrella policy on our plan but if I rented instead of owning this car, I would save $110 a month on insurance, personally. And yes, I do have second to the highest coverage options along with second to the lowest deductible.

If a 3 yr lease is around 36k miles, I would assume OEM tires usually rated between 30 and 50k would be fine unless you are mean to them.

I understand the mileage disparity between leasing and renting but it was mainly a quick comparison w/o even knowing what daily rate every-day-renters are getting.

Pretty awesome that it is under $20 and while it does sound intriguing, I don't know if my random schedule would work well (ie, end up paying for parking a rented car)..
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: DL GE
So if back to back rentals don't count, every other rental would count towards free days? Back to back doesn't count towards status either?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by tofromord
Your 3 year numbers are a bit low (and incomplete). Insurance seems low at $1,200 year - for someone with any accident history the rate on a new car could be well over $3 k per year.
My insurance is $660 per year. This is for 250/500K liability coverage and collision and comprehensive with $500 deductible. This is also for a new 2012 Subaru. And this is in the city of Chicago which is probably not all that cheap a market.

Insurance is cheaper than you think it is.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pragakhan
So if back to back rentals don't count, every other rental would count towards free days? Back to back doesn't count towards status either?
No, because all of your rentals are back to back - none of them would count after the first rental, and back to back does not count for status either.

You must either have a location switch or gap between rentals if you want them to count.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Officially they don't count. I have been very fortunate that about every 4 to 6 months I will email National with the RA's I didn't receive a rental credit for; and they end up issuing me credits anyways for the majority of the rentals that were longer than one day.

Just recently they issued me 11 extra rental credits, for rentals that technically didn't qualify according to the t&c. (Consecutive or simultaneous rentals.)

Originally Posted by pragakhan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.