Wiki Posts
Search

Ways around the underage fee?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Ways around the underage fee?

My only experience with National was in 2000 in MIA: the bus never showed up, but the Alamo bus driver gave us a lift to their location, which was across the street from National; we went in and waited 10 minutes for somebody to come to the desk, and ended up driving off the lot in what I remember as being an uncomfortable Malibu (I was 9 at the time).

Fast forward to today: numerous people have been telling me to jump ship to National from Hertz. From everything I've read, most of the people who have jumped have not looked back -- National seems to have newer cars, more freedom in choice, and so on. I understand that my local location (SLC) happens to be one of the worst in the National system, but I would really like to give National a shot somewhere else (I'll be in ROC and MEM later this month).

The only thing holding me back is the underage fee. With Hertz, my USAA membership waives the age differential. There are other ways around it with Hertz (a generic consumer discount program ("Gold Family") that anyone can sign up for, there's a promotion code, et al.). Do any of you know how I can get around this with National?

Thanks

-J.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 5:18 am

Car and Driver code XVC1092 is the safest option according to most. I can attest to this with my personal experience, I've done ~20 rentals on this code with not an eyebrow raised.

The true intent of who is actually supposed to be using it is shrouded in mystery, but as I said many, many people have used it without problems.

It waives the underage fee, but DOES NOT include LDW, so if something were to happen you are less likely to wind up in hot water.

Also, if you need to do one ways, at least for now it's sister code XVC1093 waives the fee AND provides unlimited miles for one ways (most codes with National will only do one or the other for one ways.)

Finally, it usually produces OK rates. It is capped at like $45 a day for full size, but if the station's normal rate is lower than that, it will automatically give you the cheaper rate.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Is there any other codes for 22-24 aged drivers? I rent around 50 times a year and Hertz PC being only 20 rentals is now easy to maintain, and at my home airport national has nicer cars and would like to check them out(would status match to exec elite). Only thing that holds me back is the hefty $25/day underage fee(sometimes the rental day itself is cheaper...)

SKYEG
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Coastercameron's post above remains the best advice for 21-24 year old National renters, despite being posted some 18 months ago.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Thank you!!!!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Coastercameron

It waives the underage fee, but DOES NOT include LDW, so if something were to happen you are less likely to wind up in hot water.
Isn't it the other way around? You don't want to get into an accident on a LDW rate for a association code you don't qualify for to begin with since it invalidate credit card insurance.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:00 pm

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/0...25-car-rental/
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:12 pm

I guess I wasn't clear as to WHO you could be in hot water with. With LDW on a questionable code you COULD be in hot water with national (claim denial and/or DNR list) without LDW you would be in hot water if you didn't have proper coverage in place (which you should anyways). My statement was made under the assumption that you have your liability covered independently of National's LDW.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Although USAA is a phenomenal organization (of which I am a full member), their car rental discount codes do nothing for either the OP or SKYEG, since they do not have a National Contract ID.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:19 pm

XVC1092/3 no longer works for me. Returns the error "customer is inactive."
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Originally Posted by davie355
XVC1092/3 no longer works for me. Returns the error "customer is inactive."
Yeah the C&D rate got pulled sometime last year, around the same time as corporate cracked down on publicly sharing contract codes in forums. There's no public code I know of right now that kills the underage fee, but if you have a major employer you work for or a post-secondary affiliation (current or alumnus) I'd look into those to see if National has any benefits. The parent company that owned the dealership I worked at had a code with National that got rid of the underage fee no questions asked, and I still use it for capped rates during the summer as I still do contract work for the same company.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:16 pm

Fortunately for me, my university allows us to use the CAUBO discount code so I get the underage fee for National waived even when the purpose of the rental is for leisure.

As well, I get a year-round reasonable price contract price and it even includes up to 9 additional drivers for free.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
Yeah the C&D rate got pulled sometime last year, around the same time as corporate cracked down on publicly sharing contract codes in forums. There's no public code I know of right now that kills the underage fee, but if you have a major employer you work for or a post-secondary affiliation (current or alumnus) I'd look into those to see if National has any benefits. The parent company that owned the dealership I worked at had a code with National that got rid of the underage fee no questions asked, and I still use it for capped rates during the summer as I still do contract work for the same company.
One of them got pulled a long time ago. The other was around until very recently. (Can't remember which is which.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.