Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Paying for satellite radio

Hello,

Does anyone know what you get if you actually pay for sat. radio on a National reservation? Will they hand you an aftermarket unit to install yourself like the gps, or will this effectively guarantee you a newer car?

I know people in the Hertz forum say that if you reserve a car with satellite radio from them, it can get you a minor upgrade since essentially they can't give you anything Nissan..

Anyone have any experience with National on this?
Old May 9, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
good question. i do not know the answer, but i'm glad you posted it
Old May 9, 2012, 11:17 am

If its active on the car its free
Old May 9, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
I don't think I've ever seen an option to pay for satellite radio at National. Must investigate.
Old May 9, 2012, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I'm aware that it is free if the car has an active free trial still.

The question is more about what they give you of you pay.

I always see this option on my MSP reservations, $5 a day to add it.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL GE
Well thats just strange lol
Old May 9, 2012, 6:03 pm

I've never seen an option to pay a per diem for satellite radio, given that so many cars are equipped with XM, and National generally maintains a fleet of new cars.

They might give you a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle, since they come with 1-year complimentary XM.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Seriously Dr. Zoidberg? Even YOU have never seen this option? I thought everyone Knew something I didn't about this.. Maybe it is an MSP thing, it is where I do the vast majority of my rentals and has always been an option here.
Old May 12, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have never been asked at National about renting SAT radio. I do not think they offer it. It may be at a few locations, but I have not seen it.

I was fortunate that my home XM is a portable INNO. I bought a second car kit and put it in a camera case. I throw my INNO in my backpack when I park the car. If I get a car that is not SAT equipped, the kit comes out, I throw the antenna on the dash, plug into the Aux input and a power jack and I am SAT equipped for the trip. I used to be a SAT radio "have to have." I did learn that not all cars have Aux jacks. Who knew? It was a Mitsubishi at an Enterprise location. Now I ask for SAT, if they say they have nothing, I say at least make sure it has and AUX input. I end up using it about half the time.

If you are an every week renter, and you already have a subscription for a non-portable device, adding a second device is pretty cheap. It used to be about $7 a month but it may be higher now. I do not know what portable device they currently have. My INNO (2nd edition) is about 5 years old, and I had a Roady for about 3 years before that. I have been an XM guy for a long time. It is long enough that an annual subscription was less than $100. I even take it on cruises. It works anywhere the satellites can be "seen." I know you are not supposed to use a US subscription in Canada but the radio does not know.

Bonus: If you get a window seat on the south side of the plane, you can use it on the flight as well. My INNO lasts about 4 hours fully charged without the road kit and I use regular ear buds. Ditto for using in the airport during the delays.
Old May 13, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by cdhbfcp
If its active on the car its free

If I'm on a trip where I really want sat, then I just check the cars when I pick from Emerald Aisle. Usually if there is an employee working the line I tell them what I'm looking for, and they can help me locate.

As someone else said it is the free subscription that is found on new cars, so the only "risk" is that the subscription will expire during your trip. This happened to me once out of maybe 20 rentals with sat.

I've never seen it offered as an option.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I just ran a sample reservation for MSP and sure enough SAT radio is an option for $4.95 per day, $24.95 per week.

I then ran several airports that I commonly use to see if I have missed this. ONT, SMF, TPA, BUF, SLC, DAL, BNA, and SDF none offered. Maybe it is hubs or large airports. CVG, ATL, DFW, ORD, IAH, IAD, SFO, MEM, DEN, PHX all no option.

If it is any place other than MSP, I can not find it.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Hmm... Being the resident MSP renter, maybe I will have to add this on my next res and see what happens. Or I suppose I could email the manager I know here and ask him.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Hmm... Being the resident MSP renter, maybe I will have to add this on my next res and see what happens. Or I suppose I could email the manager I know here and ask him.
Just don't ask the crotchety old man who always gives you a hard time.
I'm sure he'll find you something that's only equipped with an AM radio.
Old May 14, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Lol... My issues with him have been resolved.. I think he has an idea that I complained and he avoids me pretty thoroughly.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:40 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I've never seen an option to pay a per diem for satellite radio, given that so many cars are equipped with XM, and National generally maintains a fleet of new cars.

They might give you a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle, since they come with 1-year complimentary Sirius/XM.
Fixed. When they were separate companies, it was Sirius, I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.