Extra charges added 9 days after rental

Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Extra charges added 9 days after rental

I reserved and rented a car from MKE 2 weeks ago, and returned to ORD later that day. Filled up right by OHare prior to return. (and have receipt showing purchase, time, etc.)

At return received a receipt for the car showing fuel tank was full, and included exactly the charges I expected. Did not receive an email receipt at that time, but didn't think anything of it.

9 days later, I received an email receipt from National which included the charges from before, plus an $80 refueling charge.

I called the corporate number to understand the rationale for the charges. The CSR shared that they added 13 gallons of fuel, and that the car was returned only 1/4 full. After quite a bit of hold time, was directed to call MKE directly. Called MKE directly, and after a bit of discussion, was directed to contact the ORD location. Called the ORD location, and was told that for billing disputes I should call the "corporate" number.

Called back to the "corporate" number and spoke with someone who agreed that it was "irregular" (his words) that this charge would be added so long after completion of the rental. This guy gave me a "file number" and promised to call me or email me back within 2 days. It's now 4 days later, and I've heard nothing. Called back to the number this morning - and the person I spoke with could find no record of my "file number".

Interested in suggestions -- do I give up and dispute the credit card charge at this point? Anyone have a better idea how to escalate? $80 is not the end of the world...but it's as much the principle of the matter at this point....

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Dispute it. You have the original rental receipt and your gas receipt. I am sure once the dispute is filed National will refund you.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:58 pm

Funny I had lets say a simmilar story happen to me...

Return to the YWG location on the 22nd before opening. I got the vehicle at 3/8 full, returned with 1/2 (Yes I hate that). The manager sent me an email asking if everything went well with the rental. I told him I hate receiving vehicles that are not full as it becomes hard/impossible to re-fuel to correct level. He said fair enough, and discounted me another 45$ from the rental. Pretty sweet right?

Get a call today (26th) from the location saying they put in 46L and asked if I would like the charges placed on the same credit card. What??

After some discussion and a talk with the manager a very embarassed CSR said never mind, sorry for the call and thanked me for my time.

So am I to believe that it took them 4 days at a very small location to service the vehicle? Or do they stack up bills (right or not) and charge/call customers later down the road.

I am happy that they called and it was solved; but I dont like the thought of being charged anything days down the road from when it actually did (or in this case did not) occur.

I would not be to happy if I would be charged a room charge fee 2 weeks after I checked out; so why should rentals be any different?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I'd appeal it. Call again. Offer to fax/email your documentation.

I had a similar issue -- unwarranted fuel charge added two days after return -- and it was resolved after 2 or 3 calls.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't waste your time with National

I wouldn't waste 15 seconds more on the phone w. National.

If you've got your gas receipt and it shows a location at the airport, just dispute the $80 on your CC and, if your CC issuer has the facility, attach a PDF of the gas receipt and the rental receipt (which will presumably show gassing up a couple of minutes prior to return). Make the dispute short and to the point.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
I haven't had this happen with National, but it happened to me all the time at Hertz. I would return it full and refuse to stand around in 100 degree heat at DFW waiting for someone to make their way down the massive line of cars. They would check it in and charge for a full tank (not even looking at the guage?)

Each time was just a phone call to the corporate number and the charge was removed. I would assume national would be the same.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by azeckel
I haven't had this happen with National, but it happened to me all the time at Hertz. I would return it full and refuse to stand around in 100 degree heat at DFW waiting for someone to make their way down the massive line of cars. They would check it in and charge for a full tank (not even looking at the guage?)

Each time was just a phone call to the corporate number and the charge was removed. I would assume national would be the same.
OP already said that didn't work. Thus, my suggestion that he dispute the $80 charge on his CC. Why should OP do extra work when the chargeback request shifts the legwork to National which screwed this up.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
You spent way more time than I would have. After one go at giving me the runaround, I would have already filed and Amex dispute and it would be taken care of.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I am a bit of a broken record on this, but MKE and CMH (and possibly others) are run by one of the most customer unfriendly licensees I have ever encountered. I wouldn't be surprised if the car was non-corporate and they tried to stick you with the fuel charges for when it returned to MKE or something.

I now rent from anyone but National in those two locations.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Does the reciept reflect correct odometer readings for in/out? Were you in possession of the car long enough to drive ~400 miles to burn that amount of fuel? Seems like you should be able to win this one on physics.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.