Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at YQR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Cars at YQR

Just picked up a full-size rental at YQR. Gosh, not a station to rent from as far as I'm concerned. They offered me a choice of three Suzuki Kizashis or a Grand Vitara. All of them over 30k mileage. I had a look at the car I chose and declined it due to a low tire, but boy are those tiny. I'm shocked that they categorize that as an FCAR. I've seen Outbacks and other Subarus in their lot, but not today, so I guess they pulled cars from the other dealership with their parent company. They dredged up an Impala for me when I insisted on a decently-sized vehicle for my full-sized car. It is apparently new to their fleet, but it has 39k kilometers on it. Seems to be decent, though.

The explanation for the Kizashi is that they categorize their cars according to the car's value, so I was told. OK, I get that, but I still have an expectation that a car classified as a 'Full' will actually be a full-sized vehicle. It sort of renders the category pointless if it isn't (a fully loaded Chevie Cruze is still not a full-sized vehicle).

My other choices for the weekend were Avis and Budget in terms of similar pricing, and both had nice new looking Camrys, Impalas, and Jettas on their lot. Avis had an RX 350 as well. I guess I know who I'm looking to next time I'm renting from YQR.

Last edited by arf04; Jun 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
When I rent in YQR, I don't rent at the airport (since I live there). The last time I rented was from Enterprise, and I rented a md-size and got a Hyundai Sonata - very satisfactory. Not sure how normal this is, though.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
When I rent in YQR, I don't rent at the airport (since I live there). The last time I rented was from Enterprise, and I rented a md-size and got a Hyundai Sonata - very satisfactory. Not sure how normal this is, though.
I used National as I had a free day to use up. Enterprise would have been my other choice. I got a Sonata from Thrifty in Montreal last year on a Full rental, so good you got that for a mid. These categories seem more elastic than ever these days...

I picked up a minor windshield chip--more a tiny scrape--so it'll be interesting to see how the YQR National folks handle that. Their damage checkout form was meticulously marked up, to the point that there were some scratches on the paint that I couldn't find on the car. I expect this is a money maker for them.

Do you--or anyone--know if a minor chip claim is worth doing with CC coverage? I can't imagine more than the cost of a repair ($50, maybe) being demanded.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
If you have an auto insurance policy with appropriate glass coverage that applies to rentals, you might as well make a claim (if you would make a claim for your own auto, why wouldn't you here?). This assumes that you are responsible for the damage (I assume you will be).

There are glass shops in Regina that will do chip repair for $40-ish (e.g. Chip King).
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
If you have an auto insurance policy with appropriate glass coverage that applies to rentals, you might as well make a claim (if you would make a claim for your own auto, why wouldn't you here?). This assumes that you are responsible for the damage (I assume you will be).

There are glass shops in Regina that will do chip repair for $40-ish (e.g. Chip King).
I have zero deductible coverage with my CC so could claim there, but having gone through a claim in February I know there's a fair bit of paperwork involved and it isn't worth $50 to go through that. As it is, the National guy told me that a chip would cost $50 unless the claims person thought it needed more than a simple repair. As the claims person may not get to it for several days I have to call my CC anyhow just in case so who knows what I'll do.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

A little update: the National claims adjustor wants $108 for the repair (repair plus loss of use for one day). The chip is incredibly small, so they really do go after their customers. Given the amount they want, I decided to file a claim with my CC insurance. It's hard to imagine that the amount of time and effort that the National adjustor will have to put in to settle the claim will be equal to the amount they are claiming, but I imagine that they play the odds a bit as many would likely not file a claim and just pay up.

I spoke with a National guy at SNA a few months ago and he told me they didn't bother noting minor windshield damage, scuffs, etc., as it wasn't worth their time to process claims. That's one of the reasons I go with National, actually, so maybe that's a corporate policy versus franchisee practice (not that I'm hard on cars or anything! I've had two lifetime reports of damage on rentals, both of them this year).
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Southwest AList, National EC Exec, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz 5S
Picked up from here today, intermediate size.

Was offered a Kizashi, Impreza, or Forester.

I ended up taking the Impreza, which was a 4 door hatchback, 2007-2011, with (now) 40,000 km on the meter. On the RA, it shows as a "Standard Special" class. There was no barcode to read the letter classification.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: Southwest AList, National EC Exec, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz 5S
Forgot to add that I also saw the following on the lot:
G37x
Soul AWD
Forester

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.