Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 w/ Glass Roof Ride Report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Mustang GT 5.0 w/ Glass Roof Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Arrow 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 w/ Glass Roof Ride Report

Got to YYZ expecting to get a G37 or a Maxima when I saw a dark metallic red fully loaded GT 5.0 in the ES aisle, jumped into the car turned the key and it says "my key activated max speed 130 km/h" , I saw other 2 hard tops out of the aisle so I asked the greeter if I could get one of those and he said sure. First one dark red as well same thing the "my key" was on, the second one was off and it was bright red (ford calls it race red).
I was a happy camper 2013 fully loaded GT 5.0 with glass roof and 19" wheels.
Driving around it is a great car, sounds like heaven, rides pretty well its really well sprung and has amazing power and torque, the glass roof makes it feels a bit like a convertible but without the wind noise and the loss of rigidity.
Everywhere I went people look at the car and I never got so many compliments on a car from strangers before I was surprised by how many people really like the car (it did look really cool check pics). It has some really cool gadgets, in the dark when you unlock the car the side mirrors have like a mini projector that shows the mustang logo on the ground (check pictures) and the info screen has track apps and all the info you need. The 2013 mustang GT looks really cool and gets a lot of attention but at the same time it feels like an old model tuned by the factory to look modern. I didn't like the shaker stereo it looks cheap and it sounded muffled I tried to change the setting but nothing helped and I believe a top of the line car like that deserves I nicer key, it had exactly the same key as the base mustang that I drove a while ago.
If anyone is going to YYZ (my favorite location by far) should try to get one, when I was returning mine I asked the greeter and he said they got a whole bunch of them hard top and convertible fully loaded, I saw at least 5 I even took a picture of the lot .

Pros:
Engine
Looks
Tranny
Seats

Cons:
Dash feels cheap
Stereo
Key

Pictures: :-:

http://imageshack.us/g/818/img0814wy.jpg/

Short video of the engine sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KqEW3vR3AU

Last edited by powermax; Jul 31, 2012 at 2:33 pm
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:20 am

Seriously!!! Why does stuff like this only show up on the aisle in Canada!?!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:55 am

Nice pick up! What time did you go to YYZ? I picked up the convertible 5.0 a couple of weeks ago. Got so many compliments at stop lights...just wish I could say it was mine
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:08 am
Original Poster

You can always get good stuff at yyz late night since all the returns are processed and ready for the next morning. Last time I got there in the morning they had 5 cars in the whole lot and 2 at ES an impala and a suburban.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:08 pm

Nice to know! I'm headed down there tonight to pick up an SUV, using my exec account. Hope to find some nice rides!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by humansoul
Nice to know! I'm headed down there tonight to pick up an SUV, using my exec account. Hope to find some nice rides!
Last night ES was loaded with all sorts of SUVs.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:25 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Could you tell us if this 5.0 GT was also classified SSAR (Standard Sports)? Thanks!!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
Could you tell us if this 5.0 GT was also classified SSAR (Standard Sports)? Thanks!!
Yes it was a SSAR.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:51 pm

WOW... Incredible that that is an SSAR.. Maybe the stars will align and I will find one sometime around here!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coastercameron
WOW... Incredible that that is an SSAR.. Maybe the stars will align and I will find one sometime around here!
I was surprised as well.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA,SPG,Carlson,Hertz
Time for me to hunt YYZ tik!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: VAG
Is there any logic as to how cars like this wind up in the fleet? I mean, a 5.0 Mustang with a glass roof is not something that you'd order if you were constructing a rental car fleet from scratch, since the category system makes it rather hard to charge more for it than for, say, a V6.

Is there any logic to rental car fleet purchases at all? Or does National just fork over a vast sum of money and the manufacturer just sends over whatever bizarrely-specced vehicles they happen to have sitting around?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Is there any logic as to how cars like this wind up in the fleet? I mean, a 5.0 Mustang with a glass roof is not something that you'd order if you were constructing a rental car fleet from scratch, since the category system makes it rather hard to charge more for it than for, say, a V6.

Is there any logic to rental car fleet purchases at all? Or does National just fork over a vast sum of money and the manufacturer just sends over whatever bizarrely-specced vehicles they happen to have sitting around?
I'm not sure how it works but when I went to get this car they had a lot of fords fully loaded, like a ford Edge Sport with 22" rims and a Explorer limited. Last time I got a Taurus at this location it was a limited fully loaded as a full size . pic http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5800/img0420yf.jpg
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powermax
I'm not sure how it works but when I went to get this car they had a lot of fords fully loaded, like a ford Edge Sport with 22" rims and a Explorer limited. Last time I got a Taurus at this location it was a limited fully loaded as a full size . pic http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5800/img0420yf.jpg
The guy who had the car before me left the contract inside, it was a enterprise contract he paid $70.00 day for a full size then they added $20 a day as upgrade fee for a mustang so his total for a day was $130.00 with no coverage and limited to drive in Ontario only. So I guess this type of cars are easy to upsell.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:44 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Jorgen

I'm just speculating here but I think that rental companies just say that they want to order x number of y car with minimum spec and the manufacturer can send cars with higher spec that they want to get rid of. Right now is also the end of model year 2012, so they are probably getting rid of 2012s that they still have around.

I think that's why we see "waves" of cars with various specs at various times. For example, for Chrysler 300s - first we see ones with cloth seats, then ones with leather (some with the 8 speed transmission), and lately C models.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.